Forums » Group W Forums » The Blunder Board

Post subject: Just dropping in
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:36 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

For various and sundry reasons I have been absent from this forum for way too long. Let's just say from September last year till now has not been a fun time for me. It culminated on July 17 with the loss of my wife of 45 years. Oddly, if we'd gotten married on the date we originally planned she would have died on our anniversary. But we couldn't wait, and ran off to Wichita Falls, TX on June 25. Like the song says, "They say we're young and we don't know, won't find out until we grow."
We were too young, she was 17 and I was 20, going on 11. But we did grow and we found out we were soulmates. It wasn't always easy, good things rarely are. It wasn't perfect, but it sure was good. We were blessed with 2 wonderful children, and three extremely wonderful grandchildren. We learned that a marriage isn't 50/50, but 110/110. Any other way just won't work. She had awakened from the pain meds, I told her I loved her, she told me she loved me. The nurses asked us to step out a minute so they could re-position her. I stepped outside for a minute and saw this sunset, grabbed my phone and took a picture. Then my son called, said I better get back up to the room.

I think she was waiting for me to step out, and I think God was showing me her Stairway to Heaven. As Arlo says, "Probably just a coincidence, but it's good enough for me."

So now that chapter of my life is over. I'm 65 years old, not sure what the future will bring. I know the future is scary. I haven't been scared in a long time, but now I'm terrified of tomorrow. I get up, go to work and come home. I do enjoy my job, I'm not just going through the motions. I still do a lot of photography to keep my mind occupied, drove over to Millerton, OK today after work to photograph an old watertower. I plan on traveling some in December when I retire from the paper mill. Oddly, I'll miss that stinking (literally, it's a paper mill) place when I go. Gonna see Arlo in February at either Tulsa or Ft Worth, not sure which yet.

I get blindsided from time to time. Cheryl and Arlo, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. The first day back at work after my leave of absence, after lunch I picked up my phone to call her. BAM! Blindsided. Driving to Lawton a couple of weeks ago, came over the hill at Pumpkin Center and see Mt Scott off in the distance. We always joked that Mt Scott looked like her Uncle Orrin laying on a picnic table. BAM! Blindsided. Hard to cry and drive at the same time, probably should have pulled over for a bit. Driving home, "I Got You Babe!" plays on the radio. BAM! Blindsided. Should have pulled over then also.

And Arlo, if you're reading this, I take a lot of comfort in your song, "Someday" Thank you for writing and sharing it. She loved "Mother's Voice", would cry every time she heard it. Thank you for playing that at The Blue Door in OKC, and in the "Theater from Hell" in Okemah. It was so hot in the theater that night that she had to leave before you came on. Her and two other women with us went out to my pick up and sat with the A/C running during your show. She ended up in a Tulsa hospital that night.

Anyway, I apologize for rambling on so much, but I've said things I've needed to say, but can't say to anyone in person. For some reason my voice locks up and I can't talk about this. But it seems my fingers are working pretty good. :)

Final words. Hug your loved ones everyday. Even what seems like routine time is precious. There is no such thing as routine time with a loved one. Trust me, I've learned that the hard way in the last month and a half.

I love all of y'all, even if I'm not around much. Funny how you can grow fond of people you've never met, and likely never will meet.

May God Bless each of you.

Post subject: Re: Just dropping in
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:20 pm

Arlo Fanatic

i am sorry for your loss, pulp.

and you have posted many fine photos around here. very eye-catching in some way or other. the one of your daughter is amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:34 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Thanks Agnes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:10 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Hello Pulp,

We haven't met on here because I am pretty new, here, but I wanted to offer my condolences on the death of your wife. While I have never lost a spouse due to death, I am sure the pain must be awful and i am so sorry you are going through this. {{{ hugs }}}

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:47 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Condolences on your loss, and thank you for your touching post. I am 73, and my wife (who is in poor health) is 70, and we are approaching our 50th wedding anniversary. You have eloquently described "the thing" about lifelong relationships in a beautiful way. May your wife rest in peace, sir, and thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:01 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Mikey, I wish y'all the best.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:53 am

Arlo Fanatic

So sorry about your wife. I know what you are going thru as I lost my hubby Mike from a heart attack 6 yrs ago. Still hurts and I'll never hget over it/ By the grace of God I am still here hanging in there somehow. Peace to all.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:29 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Thank you for sharing Pulp......

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:02 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, and thank you for sharing your much loved memories.

keeping you in my thoughts.
Bev