Forums » Group W Forums » The Blunder Board

Post subject: Re: Trains!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:02 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Sure it counts. :D I jumped off the roof a lot - no parachute, though. Ouch. LOL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:25 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Dragonfly wrote:
Sure it counts. :D I jumped off the roof a lot - no parachute, though. Ouch. LOL

why?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:17 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

agnes wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:

why?

Hahahaha, cause it was fun! I always had to do stuff to prove to myself that I could do it. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:39 am

Arlo Fanatic

i was pretty sure i could make the jump. i wanted to see if i could get that floaty thing to happen with the sheet. i sort of doubted it, but at 7 or 8 years old still wanted to try.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:05 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Oh you can make it. It might hurt but you'll land. I know when I jumped off the roof of our house, it hurt like all get out. In fact, my chiropractor told me that was probably part of why my knees are so bad, although it was a couple of bad falls and 2 car wrecks that really did them in. But, whrew, it did hurt jumping off the house.

I jumped off the garage, the chicken house, anything I could find to jump off of. Hahahaha.

The idea you had of flying or soaring with the sheet is pretty cool. Maybe a similar feeling of how we used to feel when we did this thing with a huge ramp and ran as fast as we could, then flew off the ramp. Gosh, we'd do that for hours on end - my brother, my neighbor and me. That was a great feeling because you really did fly through the air but not too high and it didn't hurt to land. Then run back to the end of the line and do it again, and again and again. Ahhh, being a kid was great. :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:30 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Dragonfly wrote:
Oh you can make it. It might hurt but you'll land. I know when I jumped off the roof of our house, it hurt like all get out. In fact, my chiropractor told me that was probably part of why my knees are so bad, although it was a couple of bad falls and 2 car wrecks that really did them in. But, whrew, it did hurt jumping off the house.

I jumped off the garage, the chicken house, anything I could find to jump off of. Hahahaha.

The idea you had of flying or soaring with the sheet is pretty cool. Maybe a similar feeling of how we used to feel when we did this thing with a huge ramp and ran as fast as we could, then flew off the ramp. Gosh, we'd do that for hours on end - my brother, my neighbor and me. That was a great feeling because you really did fly through the air but not too high and it didn't hurt to land. Then run back to the end of the line and do it again, and again and again. Ahhh, being a kid was great. :)

i didn't want to get hurt and i did fine

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:15 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

That's good to hear. I didn't get hurt from the jumping but it hurt to jump from the house roof because it was a lot higher than the others. I didn't do that one very often.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:13 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

IC train 1, the southbound "City of New Orleans", passes through Kankakee, IL, in August, 1967, according to the info on the slide mount. I'll let others correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears the hogger is "opening her up" as departs town after the Kankakee stop. Note the first car - it is one of the Flexi Vans! Tom Smart photo, Cliff Downey collection. :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:58 am

Arlo Fanatic

Neat looking. Thanks for posting. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:39 am

Senior ArloNetizen

All the text came with the photo. I found it on one of the train forums on Facebook. LOL. I thought it was pretty special, though, because of the train that it is and that it was passing through Kankakee at the time the photo was taken. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:41 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Back to jumping off the roof. I have found that the jumping part is without risk, no matter the height. It's the landing part that's the bitch!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:41 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Back to jumping off the roof. I have found that the jumping part is without risk, no matter the height. It's the landing part that's the bitch!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:20 pm

Arlo Fanatic

agnes wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:
…...After I got to the age where I could set up the whole train set which went through the living room, the dining room and back, I got my brother to man the controls on his diesel and me with my locomotive, a lot like the Wabash Cannonball you see here. We'd put them end to end so when they went around the tracks, they'd hit each other. LOL. We'd highball the trains which meant full throttle. There would be a huge crash and both trains would jump the track. :oops: Then I'd just highball mine and make it jump the track going around the corners. I was a wild kid. Hahahaha! My mom had fits with us kids. lololol

when i was 7 or 8 i jumped off the house to test the parachute worthiness of a sheet. does that count? i carefully calculated in my mind, if it were to fail miserably, would i be ok? my answer was yes. it was a thrill, i think that the sheet failed, and i was okay.

mikey wrote:

if you think i hadn't factored in the landing part, as if it hadn't occurred to me that that would be a major factor. you would be mistaken.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:48 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

It's the impact! Woah! Major knee pain and ya gotta do it just right to use your knees, sorta like springs and make sure you actually physically do that upon hitting the ground.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:20 am

Senior ArloNetizen

I remembered another great train movie. Unstoppable with Denzel Washington. Great movie that will keep you on the edge of your seat for almost the entire length of the movie. :)