Forums » Group W Forums » The Blunder Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:34 pm

Arlo Fanatic

beverleyknowles wrote:
I thought they were the same thing, but I'm not a gardener.

no worries!

i was just curious about them is all….sounds like you have seen them!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:36 pm

Arlo Fanatic

agnes wrote:
beverleyknowles wrote:
I thought they were the same thing, but I'm not a gardener.

no worries!

i was just curious about them is all….sounds like you have seen them!

okay i confess

i am just a wee bit envious that you have seen blackthorns, and i haven't

so there

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:38 pm

Arlo Fanatic

You could walk past them and not notice them, they are common but when I was looking up your descriptions I thin one site said they were native to Europe.

I'm envious you have giant red woods over your side, I would love to see one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:29 pm

Arlo Fanatic

i have seen a redwood or two around here, but not like them huge ones you are talking about. i think they are more way out west.

there was a big old gnarly maple tree here on a campus that had great big branches that dipped down and up! it was like a magnificent sculpture there. for some reason it got cut down recently. there were no power lines at risk, nor anything nearby it might fall on. not sure why they removed it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:43 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

I just thought of another story, somewhat concerning misinterpretation of words. My wife was a teacher's assistant at an elementary school for a couple of years. It was bathroom break time for the kids, her and the first grade teacher were standing in the hall waiting for the last 4 boys to come out. They finally do, one of them said, "Ms Lavender, he said a dirty word." while pointing to another boy. Next boy said, "I didn't say it, he said it." pointing to the next boy. This goes around and around for awhile, all of the boys proclaiming profound innocence. Finally Ms Lavender asks, "What dirty word was supposed to be said?" First boy replies, while pointing to the next boy, "He said, (spelling out the word B-U-T-T)." Next boy said, *I didn't say B-U-T-T, he said B-U-T-T". Again it goes around and around. Ms Lavender stops them and asks first boy, "Do you know what B-U-T-T says?" "No" She asks the next boy, "No", the next boy, "No" Finally gets to little Billy, he grinning, "I know, I know." "OK, tell me what B-U-T-T says." He goes bashful, squirms a bit, ducks his head, looks back up and says, "Shit" BTW, he pronounced it in perfect Okie English, with two syllables, "Shee-it". Ms Lavender looks at my wife and says, "You're just not getting that B sound into their heads are you?"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:16 pm

Arlo Fanatic

imagine a little one wanting to sort out the spelling of "shiitake mushroom" out loud while going through the check-out.

makes a person feel proud

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:06 am

Arlo Fanatic

LOL. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:36 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Not so Much a random thought but a not previously considered realization.

When clearing out a kitchen cupboard at my Nana's I found a gift box of 4 mini 50 mil whiskies from around the world I'd given her one Christmas. I found out recently the pub measure of Whisky is 25 - 35 mil (having children I don't get out much). I poured one of the minis into my usual glass never ever having measured what I usually pour in, Man 50 mil is hardly worth wetting the glass for!! Glad I don't drink shorts when I'm out, I might not quite need a mortgage but come on! half of what's sliding around the bottom of my glass at the moment?!? I'll stick to beer when I go out.