Forums » Group W Forums » The Blunder Board

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:22 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

She was on my front porch this PM, and obligingly posed and then flew off. I really don't like getting that close to them, but I took a chance and it paid off.

Image[/URL]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:23 pm

Arlo Fanatic

when i was growing up, i gotta say…..my mom, and it didn't seem to matter what kind of yellow jacket or giant hornet would get into the house, she would just take a towel, secure it in the towel and release it outside.  i never felt brave enough to do that.  i mean sure, i would maybe catch a bumble bee or honey bee or maybe a mud dauber in a jar or something and pitch it outside…..or just try to corral it out there someway which wasn't always easy….but to secure a b52 bomber in a dishtowel and then go outside and let go of it?!  i don't know….

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:27 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

I've rolled up a dishtowel and popped a few into oblivion, but there is always that fear that I will pop it right back into my face! Usually I catch them with my Leatherman pliers, then toss them out. Or into the trash. Or down the garbage disposal. I'm not too concerned whether they survive or not.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:13 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I found out some yrs ago that I am allergic to bees, wasps etc. Dumb me walked barefoot into the kitchen on morning no socks or shoes on. A giant hornet was on the floor and I didn't know it and stepped on it. My big toe turned red and I had to go to the emergency room. They gave me benadryl for it. Yikes. I was already afraid of them to begin with.