Forums » Group W Forums » The Blunder Board

Post subject: Anyone play a lap harp?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:59 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

I'm trying to tune one I bought the other day. Does the bottom A tune to 220 or 440? At 220 it sounds muddy, but if I tune it to 440 then the higher strings are gonna be really tight.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:16 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Just while I'm finding reasons not to go to bed, did you ever get your harp tuned Pulp? not that I know how 220 and 440 relates to lap harp tuning, but was just politely curious if you had sorted it out then you could get on enjoying your new (now is toy the right word?) hope you did, and that one day I may hear.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:19 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

beverleyknowles wrote:
Just while I'm finding reasons not to go to bed, did you ever get your harp tuned Pulp? not that I know how 220 and 440 relates to lap harp tuning, but was just politely curious if you had sorted it out then you could get on enjoying your new (now is toy the right word?) hope you did, and that one day I may hear.

I called the manufacturer, and he helped me. I actually played strings over my cell phone and he told me if they were too high or too low.
I got interested in them when my wife's sister-in-law was dying of cancer at Baylor Dallas. A lady called a "music therapist" would come to her room and play either a lap harp or a Native American Flute. Both were very relaxing, and I know in my heart it helped Beb cross on over to the other side.
I bought mine at the Ozark Folk Center while I was there for the Arlo concert.
I also have a flute that I can force out a song or two on, some even recognizable! :mrgreen:
BTW, the lap harp is very easy to play. It comes with music sheets that slide under the strings, and it's kinda like "connect the dots". But they are hard to tune, and require constant tuning. Maybe I'll make a video later, but right now "Impossible Shots" is fixing to come on The Outdoor Channel.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:05 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Hemm playing by dots, I think even I could manage that. Glad you got it sorted, enjoy :)