Forums » Group W Forums » The Blunder Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:13 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

I have been playing guitar on and off for the last 25 years or so and have owned quite a few different breeds in that time. I am not a performer, just love to be able to jam with the family and friends once in a while. Lately I noticed how when I get together with everyone, people always have something to say about my Gibson Epiphone. They love the sound, the feel, etc.. It was my first guitar that I actually owned, and I bought it I think in 1986. It really is not anything special but out of all the guitars I have ever owned, it was my favorite. Every song I play on it feels right to me. It was there in high school when I "needed it", it tagged along with me through college and many a road trip, not to mention countless jams with friends. The only story I can remember about it off the top of my head is how a friend asked me to play backup for him at the popular night club at the time.. I had never performed before and I was so nervous I was basically was frozen with stage fright. However, the guitar played perfectly.. I say that because I was so nervous I wasn't even thinking, and everything I played came out perfect so it must have been the guitar playing itself. :)

Here is a pic of it:

Attachment:
File comment: Gibson Epiphone
epilite.jpg
epilite.jpg [ 77.59 KiB | Viewed 14581 times ]

So I ask: what is your favorite instrument and why? Any good stories about it?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:36 am

Arlo Fanatic

I bought a Martin D 19 in 1977, it's been my main guitar since that time. That's an absinthe label (bottom left) over a hole I knocked in it about twenty years ago.

Attachments:
Martin cut.jpg
Martin cut.jpg [ 13.19 KiB | Viewed 14572 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:18 am

Arlo Fanatic

I'd say my autoharp and my mountain dulcimer. My late hubby Mike had 2 Epiphone guitars. He let his brother have the oldest one to learn guitar on. I still have his newer one and treasure it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:48 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Goofus wrote:
I bought a Martin D 19 in 1977, it's been my main guitar since that time. That's an absinthe label (bottom left) over a hole I knocked in it about twenty years ago.

That looks AWESOME! I wish you had a bigger pic. I am betting there are some deep tones coming out of it!

Last edited by Jafo on Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:49 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Cheryl Harrell wrote:
I'd say my autoharp and my mountain dulcimer. My late hubby Mike had 2 Epiphone guitars. He let his brother have the oldest one to learn guitar on. I still have his newer one and treasure it.

Any pics?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:12 am

Arlo Fanatic

I'll have to see if I have any. My puter quit working and my cousins friend is supposed to fix it but right now he is busy. My dulcimer looks like this one and is made by the same folks who made this one. But the color shade is a wee bit different.

Knowing nothing about dulcimers at the time, I went looking up online to find the cheapest priced dulcimer that didn't seem like a kids toy. This one was cheapest and looked nice. So I had Mike get it for me. I treasure it and my autoharp too and guitar and bowed psaltery.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:17 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Jafo wrote:
Goofus wrote:

That looks AWESOME! I wish you had a bigger pic. I am betting there are some deep tones coming out of it!

That is actually a bigger pic. I sized it down so it would fit here. It does sound good. Plays really well too. I'll try to put a bigger one somewhere and send a link.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:40 pm

ArloNetizen

Location: Eastern North America from Key West to points north
As an assassin of fine music I tend to playing this modern version of an ancient instrument.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=bag ... D4&first=1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:31 am

Arlo Fanatic

Cool! My late hubbys cousin had one played at her first hubbys funeral. Pretty neat.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:04 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Cool! I've always wanted to try bagpipes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:59 pm

ArloNetizen

Location: Eastern North America from Key West to points north
The bagpipes are decidedly different and deceptively complex as they look so easy. You only need 9 of your 10 fingers to play a tune. However the pipes are as affected by weather conditions as any other wood wind or stringed instrument. The chanter, the part that plays the melody, is double reeded and the cane can cause even the most zen like player to go all midevil trying to get the tonal qualities just right. With determination and practice the average person can be playing the most basic tunes on the full pipes within a year.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:03 pm

Arlo Fanatic

hear that goofus? :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:58 am

Arlo Fanatic

SFC_Q wrote:
The bagpipes are decidedly different and deceptively complex as they look so easy. You only need 9 of your 10 fingers to play a tune. However the pipes are as affected by weather conditions as any other wood wind or stringed instrument. The chanter, the part that plays the melody, is double reeded and the cane can cause even the most zen like player to go all midevil trying to get the tonal qualities just right. With determination and practice the average person can be playing the most basic tunes on the full pipes within a year.

What do you do with the other finger?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:59 am

Arlo Fanatic

I do hear that. Bagpipes are about the only thing I lack...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:07 am

Arlo Fanatic

I just got an Alverez guitar. Not as good as my Martin, but pretty sweet.