Forums » Group W Forums » The Blunder Board

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:06 pm

Arlo Fanatic

United Airlines employees were seen throwing guitar cases out of a plane onto the tarmac, busted a singer-songwriter's expensive Taylor guitar, and denied responsibility, and gave him the run-around designed to make people give up when trying to get compensdation for their losses caused by the airline. He decided to write three songs, make videos, and make them available for people to view on the internet. He told United he was doing this, and they ignored him. I'm doing my job, and passing it along for your viewing pleasure...it's a good song and video!
Now, after the video has 170,000 hits, he has their attention...United wants to talk. Song #2 has been written, and the video will be available later this summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:11 pm

Arlo Fanatic

It's pretty much all of the airlines. Horror stories of broken guitars probably go back as far as Orville & Wilbur's days. About 25-ish years ago Jonathan Edwards used the PA of a band I was in the night after we played the same club (we got paid & got to see the show, to boot!). Well, he started way late because the now defunct People's Express airline (I believe it was) smashed his guitar. The club owner had to find a guitar for him to use to do the show.

When we flew to Finland last year some guy had his in a gig bag and took it aboard as carry on. Don't know if you can do that with every airline but it's worth looking into. Don't know why some of the baggage handlers and airlines have to be such A-holes with instruments.

Maybe ADG has some airline travelin' guitar tips. I mean, he's been doing this for a wee bit o' time, ya know.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:10 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Maybe those baggage handlers are frustrated rock stars who've been to a few too many concerts where the musicians deliberately smash their guitars as part of the act.

As far as tips from Arlo regarding air travel, I learned everything I need to know from "Coming into Los Angeles".

mikey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:37 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I think in most situations with professional musicians travelling and having to check instruments, it's a high-quality flight case that protect the guitars. Regular cases that come with the instruments usually aren't tough enough to protect a guitar from a toss from the plane. Flight-worthy cases are pricey, but well worth it if the musician travels a lot. Calton makes a great super-tough guitar case (I think that's what ADG uses) that is sealed in such a way that it will float; I heard of some stories about musicians in New Orleans retrieving instruments from their rotting houses after the water receded, and their guitars were still dry and protected in their Calton cases. One demo video for Calton that I've seen shows someone jumping on a case with a guitar inside; while I don't recommend doing that to a guitar case, most instruments will survive airline handling in a Calton case.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:01 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Hope Arlo doesn't fly United. It has been so long since I've flown , I have no idea what airline I last flew on...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:41 am

Arlo Fanatic

Well, first of all, guitars should not be thrown to or from baggage holds of planes, period. And any handlers caught doing it should be fired on the spot and the airline should take responsibility for the damage. But nooooooo! Both of the above mentioned continue onward with impunity. This adds support to the Carlinian Asteroid Strike solution mentioned elsewhere on these boards.

And while some of the (very expensive) flight cases are pretty dang good, I've still heard of guitars being damaged in those as well.

"Sometimes you just can't win!" ... Bonzo Dog Band

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:30 am

Arlo Fanatic

All airlines break stuff.

My old flight case sits in the attic with my Strat. The case is way too heavy for regular gigs. With composites, I'm sure the situation has improved. If not carrying more than one guitar, a stew will sometimes let you put the guitar in the front closet that they keep their uniforms in as long as you don't mind the pilots sitting in the cockpit playing it cross country as they did with mine. This may or may not be allowed these day but was some years ago.

It's yet another reason to own the bus, space the gigs out so you have time on the road, and stay off airlines as much as possible. Theft in the baggage handling groups is well-organized and so is their union so lots of luck with getting them fired. Yes, they tend to throw the cases around. I've seen that pretty often when flying. Just look out the window when they are stuffing the late boarder suitcases.

Two approaches are to rent gear locally or to own gig axes that you are willing to sacrifice the same way you might own a beach guitar. If you are a semi-pro, don't ever give your Martin to the baggage handlers. Leave it at home and borrow an axe. Another approach is to send gear on the crew bus and the artist flies to the gig. I know at least one major act that prefers that.

Remember, those discounted tickets guarantee that short cuts are being taken at every opportunity by the airline from training, to maintenance to employee selection.

All that said, the worst that happened to me was having books stolen at the x-ray machine and a Norelco broken by the hotel cleaning staff and the concierge immediately replaced that with a better one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:09 am

Arlo Fanatic

My Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum (UMGF.com) friends claim that Continental Airlines is the most guitar-friendly airline, and have a policy of allowing musicians to carry instruments on, space allowing. I think it gets a little more difficult these days, with so many people carrying on smaller bags to avoid bag check fees. When I came home from Florida in June, I checked a bag...and when they came in at baggage claim, there were only about ten bags that had been checked....every one else carried luggage on. The planes were totally full, no empty seats. The bins were totally stuffed! I think I would hesitate to assume I could carry on a guitar these days even in a gig bag...it would suck up most of the bin and most flight crews frown on one person taking up a bin for themselves. It also doesn't stop some fool from cramming their overstuffed backpack on top of your instrument!
I don't own a flight case. If I'm travelling somewhere by plane and I think I'll feel the need for a musical instrument, I carry an autoharp,my fiddle or a ukulele. They'll fit under the seat.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:30 am

Arlo Fanatic

I found this on YouTube. They break mountain dulcimers too... :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x50pJe_QvQQ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:37 pm

Arlo Fanatic

The word "Fragile" does not seem to work on guitar cases in terms of baggage handlers. I would suggest the words " Live Poison Snakes" , "High Explosives" or "Saran Gas" all followed by "Handle with care under pain of death". It might be good to use more than one language too. I mean it's worth a shot!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:59 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Or.......You break it you buy it!!!