Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Tablature

Post subject: Re: Tune to a D
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:47 am

[quote="Vicki Jo"]Try it on a twelve string you will be pleasantly surprised.[/quote]

Whooo-hoooo! yes. That's what I was looking for.

Thanks, Vicki!

When I heard Arlo sing it he used the 6 , but a drop-D 12 was sitting right there on stage. So at least that evening he preferred the 6 - but the 12 makes it for me.

Now I gotta practice getting *two* strings tuned back and forth ... :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:45 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Which guitar Arlo uses may depend on the evening, but at Proctors and again at the church, he used a 12 string for [i]My Peace[/i].

kurt...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:19 pm

No problem .....enjoy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:20 pm

BlunderVirgin

Very cool, guys! I loved this song when I heard Arlo play it in PA this year! An instant favorite. I'll have to see if I can work this out on my uke :)

-- John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:58 pm

The W!zard

Thanks to everyone for contributing... this is now listed in the Tablature section of the site! Also, please see the topic/poll on the proposed new forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:52 pm

Hi -- I have friends who would like me to play "My Peace" as an instrumental at their wedding, as they just loved hearing it in concert. They have chords (and lyrics), but I've never heard it and so have no way to learn the melody. Has anyone written the song out in staff notation or in some other way that spells out the melody, in such a way as I could get access to it to learn it for this purpose? ---DC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:28 pm

I'm in sort of a similar situation. My fiancee and I (both second marriages) saw "My Peace" performed by Arlo and family last year and we plan to use it in our wedding this October. (We're actually getting married a few miles away from Arlo Central, at the "Gingerbread House" in Tyringham MA, with all our kids standing up with us.) Neither of us are musicans. We loved the song live and have decided to ask the gathering (50 relatives, more than half kids!) to sing it during our vows. It's wonderful that you have the chords presented here, so we can give it to a guitarist (once we find a guitarist). It's been going through my head all year and it will be perfect for a group sing during the ceremony. It's the best tribute I can think of to that song, and it's a great way to get married.

But since I'm not a musician (am I the only non-musician on this forum?), I don't know if the Tablature page is enough. I've seen several people ask if there's a recording available, but no answer. Is there such a thing legally available? The song is so pure and beautiful in my memory, but I'm lousy at tunes and can't possibly convey it to anyone who hasn't seen it live. Is there anything close to an audio file that I can share with family before or during the ceremony?

And - THANK YOU ARLO! Not only was the show (Somerville Theater) beautiful and moving, but the way your family presented this song and discussed your father's legacy will always be with us and will soon be a permanent part of our wedding memories! I hope we can share it with all our family and leave them just a bit of what you and your Dad intended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:39 pm

If you want to hear my "My Peace," (& see Arlo & family!) just go to the YouTube website & type in "Arlo Guthrie My Peace" into the Search box. Between the video & the Tablature (play along with it!) you or a friend should pick it up pretty quickly. I've taught this song to the churches I serve as pastor & they all love it. I think it makes a great wedding song. Blessings, Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:40 pm

Thanks for the tablature on this. I'm hoping to learn it in time for the Pampa (TX) tribute to Woody in October. It was requested that we close with it.

Post subject: My Peace
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:13 am

BlunderVirgin

My Peace is on youtube. There are a few different vid's of it there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezGJ7P-1 ... re=related

:D

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:04 pm

BlunderVirgin

Quote:
How do you hit a D/F# in dropped d?

I'm coming late to this thread so you may have figured it out by now. If not, don't use a full D chord. Use index finger on 3d string, 2d fret; middle finger on 2d string, 3d fret. Hit the F# with your ring finger. Slide 1 fret and you're on that G chord. I usually fingerpick the G chord with all the other strings open. It gives a fuller sound.