Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Tablature

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:17 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Yes, but as we got older we'd all be floppy lingwists...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:02 am

Senior ArloNetizen

I just posted "Highway in the Wind" over on harptabs. Here's the link:

http://www.harptabs.com/song.php?ID=9471

The sheet music from this site is in the key of E. You can use any key of diatonic harmonica as long as you use the numbers on the tab. That's the beauty of the hamonica. Learn a song on one, and you can play it on any other key harp by using the same holes, Just let the guitar pickers know when you change. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:52 pm

ArloNetizen

Thanks Pulp I am away to check it out tonight. I am away camping up the highlands of Scotland this weekend for a spot of fishing so there is no better way to pass the night than sitting round the campfire playing a bit of Arlo. (Hopefully with a couple of fish cooking :D ).

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:36 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

I know you're gonna have fun. One of these days I'm gonna go to Scotland. I've always wanted to visit and smell the earth of the Highlands. I can't prove it, but I'm sure I'm of Clan Donald. I do know the pipes really stir the blood.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:09 pm

ArloNetizen

Pulp, Its amazing how the Scottish ancestory has reached so many folks around the world for being such a small country. Just got back from the camping trip, I didnt manage to get the fishing rod out as we stumbled on a small folk festival celebrating a 10 year anniversary of the community buying back the land from a foreign owner. It was an amazing weekend where there was a lot of traditional Scottish music getting played which carried on into the local pub on the sunday night where the fiddles, guitars and banjo's came out and the whole pub got involved wether it was playing shakers, drums or tamborines. Then towards the end the bagpipes were in full swing. A truly magical weekend.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:21 am

BlunderVirgin

Here's a great video by a gentleman covering Darkest Hour. Great guitar work, shows the style very up close. And Gari, if you're on this site, say hello!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wiyf0IWqD2Q

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:54 am

Arlo Fanatic

The gentleman does a respectable job.

The intricacy of the style is in the walking bass line and the hammer ons and pulls offs in the suspensions (in the D, second finger on first string, third finger, second string on A).

This one is excellent for studying Arlo's style on Darkest Hour in the drop D tuning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZKD8aQy71A&NR=1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:45 pm

Arlo Fanatic

What harmonica is Arlo using live for Darkest Hour?

Any advice to the technique of playing one while playing guitar at the same time? I've never done that. Couldn't keep it stable.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:15 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Do you mean what key? If I remember, he's playing the song in D with the capo on the 2nd or 3rd fret, making it E or F. Anyway, playing it "cross-harp", where you can really bend the notes, especially on the inhale, you pick the harp key that is 2 1/2 steps above the song key. For a song in C, you would cross-harp with an F, and so forth. As far as stability, a good-fitting rack and a lip-grip on the harp like you mean it...... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:19 am

BlunderVirgin

So... after all this time, has anyone been able to tab this song? If nothing else, I'd love to know what the chord positions are. The finger picking I can wing :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:38 pm

Arlo Fanatic

It isn't too difficult, Buck. The trick is to use the third finger on the left hand to walk the bass on the sixth string where the E string is tuned down to D. Where you typically might use a grande barre with the index finger to make a G chord at the third fret, instead you have to use the third finger on the fifth fret, mute the fifth string which is open and use the index, second and pinkie fingers to play the triad (root third fifth) on the D, G and B strings or just the G and B. He is also using the index to reach up from the D chord on the GBD strings and pick the fifth string second fret to get the B and using the pinkie to fret the sixth string at the fifth fret while playing an open G (DGB) so it will have a root G (1,5,1,3).

Pretty much everything that is tricky and marvelous is how he is using the altered forms to keep the bass walking. It isn't complicated but these are alternative forms for the altered tuning and it takes some practice to make the left hand go there efficiently and without too much thought which slows one down. The picking pattern has to allow for those alternatives to keep the syncopation steady.

Another piece to look at for this tuning and use of bass which is a little trickier with pull offs but an interesting comparison is Alabamy Bound.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:17 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Clan Campbell here, although we've never had any issues going into a McDonald's.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:15 pm

Arlo Fanatic

MacGregor here...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:27 pm

ArloNetizen

This link might be of some interest to folks,

http://www.scotclans.com/whats_my_clan/

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:37 am

BlunderVirgin

Thanks Senior. Took awhile to check for a response. I'll now go back to your post and get ready to... LEARN. Thanks again!