Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Tablature

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:52 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Darkest Hour not Darkest night

,,, going bat blind the older I get.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:11 pm

ArloNetizen

Well, I am going to see him later this month with Boston Pop at Bethel Woods. It certainly sounds as though I'm in for a treat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:12 pm

Arlo Fanatic

len: nicely put. your right. arlo is such a master of playing his music, and telling storys, that blend right in. dual tasking in def not my forte.

i'm learning 'Darkest Hour'. it's chords i got off the internet, and i'm sure there's some fudge-ing there. but it doesn't sound bad. i never realized, just how many lyrics there are to that song tho. it seems like a never ending story, when read on paper. yet he pulls it off, in a 4 or 5 minute song.

like woody told him. if your not sure you can be good, be long. (paraphrasing) & that's a LONG song..... memorizing the words, will be a feat for me. & that's something i'm usually pretty good at.

tx for the input len. you always keep it interesting, and i like your style of writing.

God-Bless / Rb

Attachments:
watercolor_109.jpg
watercolor_109.jpg [ 36.57 KiB | Viewed 14687 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:24 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Hey Rob! How are classes going?

I had not actually listened to it much until I made the video at home this summer of the live performance with the orchestra. Then it became my favorite. The melody is perfect, the progression isn't difficult to learn, and the phrasing of the lyrics isn't sacrificed to the images. Whoever orchestrated that was very solid. It is too easy to overwhelm the guitar with that and he never does. People who under rate Arlo for playing folk haven't studied that aspect of his music. The man is a very fine composer. Overall, he must have an excellent dream, I must say.

He could have dropped the last verse, faded on the harp solo and still had a perfectly good commercial song but it would have been wrong. He is a poet after all. :wink:

Darkest Hour is definitely a good one to learn to master the walking bass lines Arlo favors. They make all the difference playing solo.

Arlo plays capoed in a D position with a dropped tuning as I recall. I learned that but then learned it in open F at the first fret. That makes it a barre chord challenge but it teaches one a lot about the progression which if you want to play on other instruments, eg, banjo, is good mojo. OTOH, the bass is better when capoed so the root rings, but if you've misplaced your capo.... :shock:

I envy Arlo's ease on stage with his stories. From the time of the singer songwriter soloists, Arlo is one of the few kings still standing. Ok, he sits these days but so do I when finger pickin. It's a lot easier and cleaner that way. :mrgreen: