ImageImageImageImageImage 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
ImageImageImageImage 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
ImageImageImage 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
ImageImage 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Image 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:43 am

The W!zard

Live At 2011 New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival (2011)
MunckMix Inc
1. Days Are Short
2. Pig Meat
3. Evangelina
4. An Airport Story
5. Coming Into Los Angeles
6. Woody's Articles of Interest
7. Deportee
8. The Lady's Auxilary
9. Union Maid
10. Introduction to When a Solider Makes It Home
11. When a Solider Makes It Home
12. Helping the Relief Efforts
13. St. James Infirmary
14. The Story of Jack Daniels
15. Wake Up Dead
16. Stories about Lead Belly
17. Alabama Bound
18. Band Introductions
19. Journey On
20. Just a Little Early . . .
21. Prologue
22. Cornbread Peas Black Molasses
23. This Land Is Your Land
24. Crowd Noise25. The City Of New Orleans

Purchase:
Amazon (CD): https://www.amazon.com/Live-at-Jazz-Fes ... arlonet-20
Apple: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/live- ... /458712040

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:04 pm

The W!zard

I just discovered this release about a week ago, and just now got around to sitting down and listening to it. At first I was quite excited to see a live Arlo release from a recent tour, as it's my opinion that of all Arlo's releases, the live ones are the one's that truly shine as you get the stories along with the music. The first thing that struck me was - wow, it sounds like he has quite a few folks doing backing vocals (btw, anyone know who all these folks are?). Next thing I picked up on was it sounds like there is someone on bass and electric guitar. Anyone know who these people are? I know that the electric guitar is "Bobby", but no idea who that is.

Now, I will say that I was a little disappointed in this recording - not because of the show itself, but more because of the mix. This is a live show, yet the crowd barely seemed to be there in the mix at all, so it felt a little flat to me. Also, if you are a fan of Arlo's guitar playing - you might be disappointed as well as at times it seemed as if the acoustic guitar got buried in the mix and was barely audible with preference given to the electric guitar. Also, the backing vocals seemed to be a little odd at first - perhaps because I haven't heard them used in some of the songs - but in other places they were a very welcome addition (such as in Prologue).

Overall it's an OK live recording - but not representative of how he sounds live. I get the impression that other than the performance Arlo & Co didn't have much to do with this recording. Perhaps one day RSR will get a hold of it and remix/remaster it.

For me, the highlights here are "Prologue", "Keys To The Highway", "Pig Meat", and "Journey On". Like I said, my biggest problem with this recording is the mix and the sometimes absence of Arlo's guitar.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:54 am

Arlo Fanatic

Why can't we post a reply to a discussion about individual recordings? I was looking at the Discography post about the Live at the Jazz Festival recording, and you were wondering about some aspects of the CD.. where I would have left a reply that said that the background singers were probably the Burns Sisters, the guitarist was Bobby Sweet, Jody Lampro was probably playing bass, and Abe was on keyboards. ...it was all the people from last year's tour. I woulda posted it over there, but now it's ...here!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:50 am

Arlo Fanatic

Okay, this is great...I'm glad I can post over here now!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:14 pm

The Folkslinger

The recording was done at the time we were doing the "Journey On" tour, with everyone as Sue mentioned. For us it was another (albeit special) gig that happened to be recorded. At some point after the initial period of time required by the festival the recording will revert to Rising Son Records and we will re-edit, and re-mix the show to our standards. adg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:49 am

Arlo Fanatic

Thanks for the info hon. Would love to get a copy of this. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:00 am

The Folkslinger

I'm fairly sure that the rights to the recording will revert to RSR fairly soon. Initially the recording were assigned to the festival for a period of years. That time should be up any day now. And, as noted the mix was pretty awful. Abe did a very quick re-mix but hadn't really had time to bring it up to our usual standards. That will change as we redo the concert mix in our own studios. I thought the cover was unimaginative as well. So get set for a complete overhaul for what was a really good gig. Stay tuned...