Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Setlists & Show Reports

Post subject: Keswick 11/18/00
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2000 6:18 am

Senior ArloNetizen

A wonderful night...too many blunderites to list...I'll leave the set list to others but wanted to mention Arlo did All Along The Watchtower...on ukulele????!
And Krishna Guthrie on congas...He rocks! Off to bed and on to Englewood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2000 9:06 am

Here here! The show was the most unique in years with three generations and the band. I've enjoyed Abe in the past few years but he really comes to life when he's rocking!

It was also great meeting the people I've known for awhile. See you in Hawaii! ( Arlo is planning a White Christmas holiday special from sunny Hawaii. And we're invited)

BTW, I made it home okay. Lights started flashing all over the dashboard but the car didn't come to a complete stop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2000 9:10 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diane:

It was also great meeting the people I've known for awhile. See you in Hawaii! ( Arlo is planning a White Christmas holiday special from sunny Hawaii. And we're invited)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's great Diane, is the special going to be televised? Is it a private show? My friend is in Hawaii and it would be great if she could go. Thanks!

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Edited 1 times, lastly by gemini on Nov 19, 2000 ---</FONT></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2000 10:42 am

I think it was a bit of wishful thinking. Anything for an excuse to spend a week or month or two in Hawaii. Anyway it was the first time I ever heard White Christmas on the ukelele.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2000 10:51 am

Image Image Image....sorry, my sense of humor doesn't kick in till around noon. I guess I was having a little wishful thinking myself. I would love to hear him do whit christmas, but next time ill see him, christmas will be past.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2000 11:36 am

The Keswick was grand. philly crowd rowdy
and weird. the show, Fantastic!

i laughed. i cried. but, most importantly,
i felt loved!

what a family!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2000 1:10 pm

Arlo Fanatic

allright Todd! Sounds great! Keep us posted of any 'Hallmark' moments. You have my e-mail?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2000 2:26 pm

Last night was perhaps one of the best musical experiences of my entire life. It was my first Arlo concert, and I am so glad that I had the privelege. Great music, good time. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2000 4:11 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Deb kept a whole set list. I don't think she's home yet, though. But she'll post it as soon as she can.
Just have to agree it was a great show. It was something else to see that familiar stage all filled up with performers and instrument. Johnny and Krishna joined the crowd that had done the church shows and they surely did make some beautiful sounds together.
Some of the highpoints for me were..Watchtower on the uke, but with the full band backing this time, it was really, really good besides being a different approach to that song.
Prologue, again. Not going to get tired of hearing that any time soon, after waiting so many years for it to get back into the show.
All Over the World as one of the encore songs. I don't think I've ever heard that live before and certainly not with the whole band playing on it.
And of course, getting together with so many friends, and just having a good time was wonderful and too quick as always.
Can't wait for Carnegie!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2000 4:29 pm

The W!zard

Pretty much what everyone else has said. It was a great concert. I don't think I've heard a better version of Prologue. I just can't say how impressed I am with these last few shows. It's great hearing some of these songs (like All Over the World) that haven't been played in ages with Xavier backing up Arlo. It adds so much to the show. I mean, I loved Shenandoah, but there really seems to be magic with Xavier opening the shows and backing Arlo up! All I can say is that I hope it's not a short lived deal and they're still with him after the holidays. Oh, and Johnny, same thing... we wanna see him up on stage more as well!

And it really was a treat seeing Krishna up on stage, that was really neat! Even managed to get a Krishna autograph... won't be long before I'll be setting up his web site! I mean, pat had been joking with me about when I was gonna start his web site. I had no idea we'd see him up there so soon. I'm gonna have to quit my job or something to keep track of all these sites...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2000 6:56 pm

what everyone has said...it was a truly wonderful night! there was no doubt the audience was enjoying themselves, and everyone on stage sure seemed to be having a great time, as well! there was a great deal of energy and love in that venue last night! the whole guthrie clan, with xavier did an incredible job, and having krishna join them was so cool. thanks for the autograph, krishna. Image

as always, it was wonderful to see so many friends, and meet some new ones.

set list..
xavier started the show with three songs. where you see *krishna, it means he came out and played the congas.

Last Train - Randy, lead vocals *Krishna
Rock My Soul - Tim, lead vocals
Strangers - Randy, lead vocals *Krishna

Arlo, Sarah Lee, and Johnny join the guys.

Intro/Fence Post Blues
Chilling In The Evening
Ocean Crossing
St. James Infirmary
Coming Into LA *Krishna
In A Young Girl's Mind - Sarah Lee
Part of Old Shep
Me & My Goose
Freight Train
Sinking of the Reuben James

Intermission

Alice's
Ukelele Lady on the uke - per request from a child in the audience
Part of White Christmas on the uke - instrumental
All Along the Watchtower on the uke. (i loved that when he was doing it a few years back, great to hear it again with the band backing him!)
White Christmas with the words this time..on the uke
City of New Orleans
Big Square Walking - Sarah Lee

Arlo, Sarah Lee and Johnny leave the stage for a small break. Xavier plays one tune

Alone - Abe on lead vocals

Arlo, Sarah and Johnny return

Prologue
This Land is Your Land *Krishna. Krishna also sings along on this one, thanks to Randy moving his mic over to share with him. Image

First Encore

Goodnight Irene *Krishna

Second Encore

Motorcycle Song
All Over the World
Doors to Heaven

being a bitch, my favorite ag quote of the night.. "now everyone has to be nice. i hate that!"

on to carnegie!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2000 9:11 pm

Everything about the show was wonderful. Seeing the gang outside of the theatre was a treat, and hanging out with Laura Lee was very interesting.

The show was great. Xavier made a powerful intro (I felt like we were watching Garth Brooks or something). When Arlo came out it was so subtle that I felt there was a delayed reacion in the audience. Or maybe I have to get my glasses prescription updated.

In any event, after a false start due to a broken watchamajiggy with his harmonica, the show was fabulous. Arlo did give us his opinon on the election (great!), and went on to have a fabulous show.

One of our personal highlights was meeting Johnny outside the theatre before the show. We had chatted with him briefly at the church, and he is just a heck of decent & nice guy, and a GREAT PLAYER. We were very excited later on when he played on Coming into Los Angeles. His dobro fills really enhanced the song to how it sounded in the original cut. Arlo, please give this dude a regular gig, at least when we're coming to see you (we'll call first, thanks).

The song selection was just what the doctor ordered. Most of our favorites got played, and it's so nice to see the versatility of the uke songs. I LOVE Ukelele Lady and Fence Post Blues. My ultimate dream would be an onstage performance of Washington County. Dare I ever hope?

With the Xavier guys and Johnny on stage, the sound was FAT. It rocked. It RULED! Stories were great, some of the usuals and some new stuff (I guess it was new. It was new to me.)

After the show we got to chat with Arlo, and Jody took a pic of Arlo and me with my sister Debbie. Debbie cracked me up when she asked Arlo if he would like her autograph (he said "sure!"). Debbie is a bit pregnant right nowImage, so we have converted Deb, her hub Don, and Baby X to Blunderite-ism!

Wonderful wonderful...see you at Carnegie, I think. I better step on it: only the nosebleed seats are left.

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Edited 1 times, lastly by CyndyB on Nov 19, 2000 ---</FONT></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2000 9:42 pm

Great reports, all. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2000 11:28 pm

Wow! wish I could have been there. So CindyB, What was Arlo's take on the election??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2000 6:12 pm

Thanks for sharing, all. Hope to see you (and him) in the new year. Image