Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Setlists & Show Reports

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2000 5:23 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Which ADG song is that from? My emmory is short today. Image

Arlos version of AMAZING GRACE is a real tearjerker. At my 2nd Arlo show (Richmond, VA 1989) when he did that one, I saw women all over the place reaching in their purses & getting out the hankys. I once asked Arlo how does he get thru singing those songs like that. He said that he tries not to think about them when he's singing them. But I know they get to him too. Once at a show of his in VA Beach in 1989, He did AMAZING GRACE & I could tell it was getting to him. When he finished singing the song, he got up from his keyboards & walked across the stage to get his guitar. As he was walking across the stage to get his guitar, I saw him reach in his pocket & get out his hanky & wipe his eyes, & when he got over to his guitar, he put his hanky back in his pocket, picked up his guitar, turned around & launched into his next song. I thought that was sweet. I realized even tho he's trying to reach us with this songs, they're blessing him too.

& The Charlie Chaplin love song is another tearjerker. How he got thru that one when he sang it with the Symphony in Cary, NC, I don't know. We both looked at each other & I was just wishing it was just me & him there. If it had been just Arlo & I, I know we both would've fell apart on that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2000 6:23 pm

We were able to go to the church this year. It was our first time. What a wonderful experience! It felt so homey and comfortable.

Despite not getting tickets in advance (long story, which causes me anxiety, so do not ask), we traveled to the Berkshires and stayed in Lee, along Laurel Lake. It was beautiful. The whole region is similar to Disney World or Busch Gardens -- you just ride from one town to the next, and each is a jewel that compliments the others. It's quite tempting to move up there. We bumped into expatriate Delawareans who urged us on, saying they felt safe, schools were good, and the community is friendly. They also said that the police solve all the crime, even the vandalism. There is simply not much else, other than directing traffic (it's true, there are no stop lights, or one per town at most), for them to do. No wonder they went at Arlo so strongly for littering.

Being tourists, we did the whole Alice's Restaurant deal: ate at Theresa's (formerly Alice's) Restaurant & took a pic. Took a pic of me with fake handcuffs near the Lee Courthouse. Took our pics outside the church. Took our pics outside of Arlozone in Pittsfield. Even dumped garbage in our hotel room and took a pic of that (not really).

On Sunday we hooked up with the Blunderite crowd at the tailgate and bought Laura Lee’s book, Arlo Alice & Anglicans from the author herself, who also signed it. Dave signed it, too, on page 203. Also met the people I’d chatted online with, which was a hoot: Pat, Fitzy, Deb, Regina, John C, and Sherry. Also met Kim again, Mrs. Dave. She made us a beaded moose, which, in my myopia, I mistook for a spider (sorry about that, it is very cute). Image

Many thanks to Dave, who spoke with Lisa G. to get us on the Standby list for Sunday night. We sat upstairs; that is, Jody sat in a camping chair and I stood for most of the show. Towards the end I laid on the floor and watched the show through the cutouts in the balcony wall. Where else can you get that kind of seat? It was a wonderful show, very special, very intimate. They played Fence Post Blues, which is one of our household favorites, and Ukulele Lady, which is one of mine.

At intermission, I was able to ask Sarah to play Sailing Down This Golden River for Jody, who is a big Sarah fan. While she sang it Jody flicked his Bic, and we think she saw it because she smiled. After the show I took a picture of Jody with Sarah, and Jody took a picture of me with Arlo. This time, when I spoke to Arlo, I was actually able to find my voice (see also my write up from Baltimore in May where I froze like petrified jelly). When Arlo stood up for a picture, I kind of stopped short, because I didn't expect him to be so tall! One of these days, I will remember my manners and actually introduce myself to Arlo instead of being a nameless person. Maybe at the Keswick...

On the way home Jody read sections of Laura Lee’s book to me, and we now have a greater understanding and appreciation for all the struggles Arlo went through to obtain the church. By the way, Laura’s book is a great read, the kind you steal back and forth from each other in your impatience to get the book back in your hands! Bravo!

It was a wonderful show, with great people, the cherry on top of a beautiful weekend!
Image Image Image Image Image
Looking forward to it next year, this time with tickets! Image See you all at the Keswick!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2000 7:16 pm

What excellent advertisements for the quality of the shows and what a blessing they are for all who attend. Thanks for sharing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2000 8:56 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Oh wow sounds like you had a nice trip Cindy B! You did alot of the stuff we would've had we been able to go. I woulda done the whole Alices's tourist thing, lunch at the ex-Alices, the whole Garbage Trail, a visit to RSR & the ARLOZONE. This time it would be nice to have lunch at ALICES & this time know I was eating there. Because I think I ate there once but had no idea the name of the place or that it was connected with Arlo even thos I knew the songs for I wasn't an Arlo fan yet. Some yrs back after becoming an Arlo fan, I saw a pic of ALICES RESTUARANT in a book & recognized it. I think I ate there when I went to Stockbridge with my parents on vacation that yr. Funny how something that happened int hepast turns out to be something that would mean more in the future...

Arlo would probably say if I ever went to the church shows that I'd probably be bawling all thru the shows cuz something would be touching me during each song LOL!

During those tearjerkers Arlo needs to share his hanky LOL!

Anyway, can't wait till the Keswick! YIPPEE! Image Would love to meet ya'll there! Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2000 8:59 pm

Arlo Fanatic

An Arlo show is indeed a real blessing. Amen...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2000 11:11 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Cheryl you don't sappose he had a cold. Sometimes ya just gotta blow your nose, or ya can't sing. Thats why rock stars spit on the stage all the time. Gotta clear those sinus cavitie's.

*a friend once told me, never meet your idols. They turn out to be the same nose picking slobs, that we are ourselves..Image

**CindyB sounds like a fun time. I love your story. And jello is fine by me...Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2000 1:14 am

Arlo Fanatic

I haven't seen Arlo pick his nose yet, but no let down when I first met him. He was as nice as I expected. Image

I did see him sneeze once after a gig when he was just getting over a cold. He evidently didn't have time to get out a hanky or anything so he bent all the way over with his hair hanging down & turned his head away when he sneezed being polite. I asked him was he okay & offered him a hanky. He said no thanks, he was okay & was allright. Sure enough a coupla days later I got a cold. Image So the next time he sneezes I'm making him take the hanky, LOL! Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:49 am

Rob...you don't really believe that Arlo picks his nose do you??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2000 9:07 am

Ummmn ... I think rb is talking about actually getting to know one's idols on a day to day basis -- not meeting them briefly around show time, when they are working.

Which is not to say that Arlo isn't a most gifted, humble, and nice nose-picking-slob-like-the-rest-of-us. I'm sure he is, once you get to know him in an every day kind of a way (which I don't). Still, I'm sure he is exactly who and what he is, and not at all what anyone else's expectations of him may be.

James Garner had a great line in one of his movies about that. I think it may have even been one of his Maverick movies. Anyway, he says something to the effect of, "All these people know me; but when they meet me they get all bent out of shape, because I don't do everything according to their expectations."

Anyway, my favorite thing to see (or rather hear) Arlo do, is to let loose musically. It happens a lot when he plays keyboard with Pete Seeger. Pete gets Arlo going, and then stands back and just lets it happen. There's few things I like better than a little unbridled music in the hands of a master.

I'm not sure if I've heard him sing <u>Goodnight Irene</u> yet. I might have. I see Arlo so rarely, though. I love his cover of "Can't Help Falling in Love With You," as slow songs go. (Don't know if that's the name of the song, but it is how the chorus goes. Image )

Don't know if Jackie would much go much for the idea of me going off alone with him (or if Arlo would care for that, either), but he sings the song real pretty. Image Of course, I'm not sure if I'd go for the idea of going off with him, myself. He may speak to something in me with his music, but he's hardly speaking to me when he's sharing his gift by singing a song.

For starters, even if he knew me well enough, and liked me well enough, and was single enough, to be singing his songs to me personally, you still can't see the audience from most places on most stages because all those stage lights are right in your eyes.

Once a guy was telling me about how his girlfriend almost got busted for rushing Stevie Wonder outside his hotel in D.C. "But it was Stevie's fault," my friend said. "He made eye contact with my girlfriend and started waving to her directly. She thought he was signaling to her, and ran to join him in his limo."

Just one more case of sheer impossibility doing nothing at all to disturb someone's sense of reality...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2000 2:24 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Your kidding right fitz?.........LOL

**Muffy, yes, AG is styling! I don't pretend to know him, other than what I've read. He's been generous enough to share his life story with his fans (RBR). That's allot of weight to carry around. I couldn't imagine being in the same place EVERY year (rain or shine) and doing what he does. I would stay up at night thinking "how am I going to do all this, and get that rag I've been writing all these yrs. out on time....THATS just me. The Way I am! Lucky for us, our fearless leader is just that, fearless....

*Picking ones nose, is just an expression*

*Sorry Cheryl, it's just a rumor Arlo is God.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2000 2:41 pm

Do you think I'm kidding?? Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2000 4:39 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Lets just keep that a trade secretImage You know how rumor's get started.

*for the record fitzy, I NEVER pick my nose. Did I start another editing topic. Didn't mean to, but shit happens. another fine anology.

**my old business teacher once taught us in class, on public speaking. Just pretend that everyone in the audience is going to the bathroom. Mark enfasized on using the president for an example. He said to the class "Just for a moment, think of the President of the U.S.A. sitting on the toilet, doing what we all must do. It kinda made an impression on us, not to mention Mark got a few laughs. His punch line was, "the only differance between you, and the president, is his shit doesn't stink'"!
Have to be there moment, but I think of that story from time to time....