Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Setlists & Show Reports

Post subject: FARMAID 2000
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2000 1:10 am

Made it here to FARMAID! We came in to Manassas, VA a day early so that we wouldn't have to get up at 5 am, rush to death & then deal with traffic to get here tomorrow. & after missing ADG at Ocean City, NJ, we deserve a 2 day trip! On the way up was breakfast at the new IHOP in Mechanicsville, VA. YUM! Then next we stopped off at Fredricksburg, VA to mess around some. First we went to the outlet mall. They had a neat antique car show in the parking lot that was free. They had a Studebaker Hawk there! WOW! We went into this large chick clothing store. This chick that worked there asked me who was on my shirt & I said Arlo Guthrie. She asked who he was & we told her who he was. She'd never heard of him. She did say she went to see Leon Redbone at the BIRCHMERE recently & he was good. She said he was that real old man. ROTFL! Leon Redbones in his 50's I think. Anyway the 2 young chicks were intrigued by Mike. I wanted to go to Pickers Supply a guitar store in Fredricksburg. So we went there. It was hard to find being downtown. Parking so scarce I had to park a million miles away & walk. Didn't have the selection of dulcimer stuff I hoped they would. They did have 4 mountain dulcimers & a 21 chord Autoharp. They all had a nice sound! That Autoharp was a sweet Oscar Schmidt. (Can ya see the lust?) Image They have Martin Guitars. WOW! We went to some antique shops. Went inside a record store that was playing Johnny Cash records. They still had record albums. Had DYLAN poster for $6.99. Had naugahyde antique chairs & a record player you could play records on. They had only 1 Arlo record. A CD of ALICE'S. Well I got lost on my way out & asked for directions & it turned out I was going okay after all. It takes ya where you're supposed to go anyway! Well, onward ho to Manassas. We went to what we thought was our motel. Nope. Right chain, wrong location. So we went & finally went & fund the right place. We had to stop at 5 gas stations before finding it. It is behind a Best Western with a small sign for it. Well dig this, cuz we got to the motel too late due to not being able to find it. They had give our room to someone else. Luckily they had another room & we got the last one. & GRRRRR!!! The room rate went up! Image I think we got the last room left. They talk like FARMAID sold out all the motels here. Well in the Richmond paper Fri it said that FARMAID wasn't selliing too well. Go figure. We decided lets eat at this PARGOS's restaurant across the street. So we started to go there but to get there we'd have to go down the street & turn around to get to it without dealing with alot of traffic. Meanwhile going down the road, I saw some Longhorn restaurant that looked good so we stopped there to eat. We found out we'd have to wait over an hr to get waited on & had 11 folks ahead of us & Mike was getting ready to have his sugar drop. So we asked to get seated as fast as they could. No can do they said. So we left & they lost a customer. We went to PARGOS & had a nice meal. We had hoped to go to some of the motels & look for famous stars there. Couldn't find any hotels close by with famous stars in them. I have no idea where Arlo is. LOL! We did see a famous stars bus. It was white & looked like Arlo's old bus but was white. It didn't have a name on it so I dunno what stars were on it. My closest brush with fame. We discovered that they play the Andy Griffith show up here. COOL! So we hope to have more of a report on it tomorrow. The only complete set list will be on ARLO as I may not know what the others will be singing & we'll go to the bathroom & eat during acts we aren't as keen about. So stay tuned for the set list. It will be up probably late Monday or Tues nite be too tired to do anything tomorrow nite other than check in on the boards on both Arlo sites & do e-mail & read both Arlo boards.

Remember here what to look for to see us on the TV in the audience. We hope to be able to get seating in the special seating for the visually impaired I will have on a sweatshirt of Arlo that has Arlo & an American flag on it & says Arlo Guthrie For Family Farms on it, & also wear a pair of corduroy 60's style flareleg jeans & combat boots. Mike will wear an Arlo T-shirt that's like my sweatshirt & jeans! See ya'll at FARMAID tomorrow! Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2000 2:29 am

NEWSFLASH! I just read on CMT's website that Uncle Arlo will be on FARMAID earlier in the day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2000 3:08 pm

thanks, cheryl,,,i'm watching!! and looking for you, mike, and arlo!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2000 3:38 am

We all were there! Image

Wow! What a great nite! Will post set list & details either Mon or Tues nite. Tues in the day I'll do more reading than writing as we both have a diabetes drs. appt so it'll be a speed read of both Arlo site & e-mail Tues, AM.

Some neat details I couldn't wait to tell ya'll. While the commercials were on FARMAID, we got to see the acts changing stages & them setting up the stage. Well, we saw Sarah & Abe come out & set up the stuff. I happened to look & saw Arlo on the stage to the side of it waiting in the wings to go on. I decided to walk down to the front of the stage to see Arlo better & wave HI to him. So I walked on down to the front of the stage in front of where Arlo was. I saw him & I waved HI to him & said HI! Well, he waved back to me & said HI to me & we both waved at each other & mouthed HI to each other. He smiled at me & I melted like butter. Sigh he is sooooo good looking! Well, before we even had a chance to continue talking up comes the announcer announcing Arlo's name & he is up. So Arlo had to go up & sing! So much for finishing saying more than HI! I did yell yay Sarah when she was announced by Arlo! & yay Abe when he was announced by Arlo. I was upset they only had him do 4 songs. They shoulda not had those first few bad acts that no one knew & instead had Arlo sing longer.

Well, at the end when all the singers sang those 2 gospel songs together. Arlo came out & snag with them. You might've noticed Arlo with his glasses on looking over top David Crosbys head. I believe Arlo had on his black suit coat. Anyway it was my fault that he was looking over David Crosbys head. I yelled HI ARLO to Arlo & waved at him. He saw me & smiled at me. I wanted so bad to ask David Crosby to please move your head honey!

So I was the only person at the gig who had a famous star say HI to them from the stage. & Inspired Arlo as he sang those gospel songs with the other stars. I got something really spiritual when they sang those gospel songs Arlo with everyone. You had to be there but itwas a moment of God.

Show went overtime. After everyone else left the stage Willie Nelson came & sang some more songs. Guess he felt bad that he couldn't sing more to do the local ordinances that show have to end at 10-10:30 PM. Have to give him credit for giving more to the people. Later went to find Arlo & found out he had already left. He had top fly back home & the thing going overtime made him late & then some reporters had him come & do a press conference on his way out. So we missed seeing him! Image Well, that's what you missed cuz the commercials were on! & CONO on guitar! A rarity these days (He usually does it on keyboard) & he really rocked out on COMING INTO LA! One chick we saw at FARMAID said: "ARLO GUTHRIE ROCKS!" & Indeed he does. Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2000 5:34 pm

Arlo Fanatic

just heard a a short radio news report on the concert this morning, and in the background they had... who else? singin' CONO!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2000 10:24 pm

Just got back to Ohio from FarmAid. We had a wonderful time. Why did we drive all that way? To see Arlo of course! Luckily all the other performers were great too! It was a great nite!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2000 11:55 pm

Oh wow that is so cool! If we'd known you were gonna be there we'd have loved to have met ya! Which part of Ohio are ya from? You weren't staying at Willie Nelsons hotel by chance were ya? We met 2 dudes there that came all the way from Cinciatti. See we went to this one certain hotel trying to look for famous stars & we had breakfast buffet there. YUM! Well we saw Willie Nelsons bus & CSNY's Bus & Travis Tritt's. We went to this driver of this yellow bus & asked him whose bus he was driving & if he knew Arlo & Dennis. He didn't know either of them or who they were but he said he was Alan Jackson's (The country singers) bus driver. He told us that most of the singers flew in for the show & just had the bus driver come seperate cuz most of them were where they didn't have a gig the day before or the day after the gig cuz they had a few days off between shows. So we never did get to meet any stars. We saw these 2 guys & figured they must know Arlo. We asked them if they knew Arlo & son-of-a-gun they were fans of his & were incredibly from Cincinatti, Ohio. They had flew in for the gig & were gonna have to take a taxi to & from the gig. They woulda loved to have hitched a ride back with us. Well, we couldn'tever find them at the gig unfortunately. They had a quite a bad problem tho. The dumb hotel wouldn't let them in their room (Silly hotel) untill 2pm & that was showtime! they couldn't leave their luggage & yet they had to be there in time to see Arlo. Felt sorry for them.

We've been to a few Arlo gigs in Ohio ourselves. Evidently theres this agreement between Ohio & VA where folks from VA go to Ohio to see Arlo & folks from Ohio go to VA to see him. Image Course that hasn't been working out lately due to Arlo deciding to come to Ohio in FEB (he'll be in Akron & cincy in Feb of next yr) which is too cold a month to travel there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2000 11:30 am

Arlo Fanatic

Notable Quotes
They really said it -- notable quotes from the news:
``I must be getting more normal. Thirty years ago they wouldn't have let me within five miles of the vice president's wife and now she walks right by me.''
-- ARLO GUTHRIE, who performed at the recent Farm Aid concert outside Washington, D.C., where TIPPER GORE also appeared. REUTERS

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000919/od/quotes_6.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2000 11:39 am

Arlo Fanatic

The morning after Farm Aid our local news channel here in Maryland did a clip on the Farm Aid events. Showed Willie, Arlo, and a few others sitting down at a table for a press conference. Showed Willie talking and then singing. Ended with a shot of Sarah, Arlo, and Abe singing CONO. Showed all three from the side and then from the front finishing by focusing in on Arlo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2000 12:05 pm

Arlo Fanatic

"The Farm Aid Concert Interactive Review" from the Washington Post:
http://discuss.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/zforum/00/farmaid0917.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2000 12:24 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Review: Farm Aid Raises
Money and More

"Originally intended as a one-off, benefit's 13th episode proves itself
as a sparkling multigenre musical presentation."

http://www.sonicnet.com/news/story.jhtml?genreNameForDisplay=Country&genreDirectoryName=country&id=1124207

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2000 2:30 pm

Arlo Fanatic

"Farm Aid Reaps a Tuneful Bounty"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A33688-2000Sep19.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2000 6:30 pm

Arlo Fanatic

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by janet:

Notable Quotes
They really said it -- notable quotes from the news:
``I must be getting more normal. Thirty years ago they wouldn't have let me within five miles of the vice president's wife and now she walks right by me.''
-- ARLO GUTHRIE, who performed at the recent Farm Aid concert outside Washington, D.C., where TIPPER GORE also appeared. REUTERS

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000919/od/quotes_6.html <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, but I think we should wait until Arlo defines the word "normal"! Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2000 3:12 am

Arlo normal? I don't think so. ROTFL! Image Image Just ask Lee Palma who still owes me an explanation as to why Arlo is strange. ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2000 1:01 pm

Arlo Fanatic

http://www.house.gov/agriculture/

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Edited 2 times, lastly by janet on Oct 17, 2000 ---</FONT></center>