Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Setlists & Show Reports

Post subject: State College 7/21/00
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2000 8:18 pm

I haven't seen any reports from Arlo's gig at the Tussey Mountain Amphitheater in State College, PA. Anybody go? I saw that Ramblin' Jack Elliott was also on the bill... Did Arlo and Jack perform together? Would love to hear a report!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2000 12:37 am

Arlo Fanatic

Howdy Hank! I'd love to know all the details myself too. Image From what I found out from Arlo & Dennis, Rambling Jack was there & him & some other folksingers got on Arlos bus. Abe was there & somehow went home with Arlos mikes which didn't quite make him too popular with Arlo. Abeski didn't go to Hampton, VA cuz he had a gig with Xavier. I forgot to ask them if Arlo & Ramlin Jack sang together. Anyway, the 2 had fun hanging out together. & Poor Dennis had to drive him & ADG all that way from PA to VA & ti was tiring for them. A ncie time was had at Hampton tho. If anypone else knows about State College PA post away. We're all ears!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2000 4:34 pm

i was at the show in state college, i'll speak up! it was a fabulous show despite the slow drizzle and unseasonably cold weather for july. ramblin jack's set was decent, but its the first i've seen or heard him, so i'm not sure what to expect (don't get angry, i'm just a youngin! i've got a lot to learn...)

i did keep a setlist for the show, and any corrections would be appreciated. here goes.

I.(set one was arlo and Abe)
Chilling of the Evening
St. James Infermary*
Alice's Restraunt
When a Soldier Makes it home
Ring around the Rosy Rag
Darkest Hour
II. (set two was arlo, abe and sara lee)
The Sinking of the Reuben James
Orphan Girl**
Walkin Blues
Coming into Los Angeles
City of New Orleans
Best that she can ***
This Land is My Land

E: Cover of the Night
Motorcycle song
Goodnight Irene****

* Cisco Huston Song
**Gillian Welch Song Sung by Sara Lee
***Hoyt Axton Song sung by sara lee ****Leadbelly Song (sung by arlo, abe, sara, ramblin jack and his wife)

the highlight of the show for me came afterwards when i was lucky enough to have arlo sign my mooses come walking book, and shake hands with the man i've admired for about as long as i've been able to dance. i thanked him for the show and wished him happy travels. it was about that time that the hoardes of other fans realized he was hanging around and i had to cut the conversation short out of politeness. all in all, a great show. he included some of the stories i'd heard him tell before, the one about the 1000 year old butter, the one about ring around the rosey, the one about the first time he heard city of new orleans, and the one about the beatles releasing sgt. pepper AND the anthology when he released both alice's restraunt albums. it was a fabulous show and i hope to see more when i'm able. hope that helped. xo
missy

my tapelist tapetrades@gurlmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2000 7:10 pm

Missy, many thanks for the State College set list and comments... I was beginning to think that no one attended this show! Glad to see Ramblin' Jack and Arlo playing together again, even if for just one (Leadbelly) song... I remember one particular concert way back in the early 80s... Arlo would play the Westbury Music Fair On LI year after year, and once during a particularly fine show with Shenandoah, Arlo brought out Ramblin' Jack as a guest and they played through a few of Woody's old songs... Hmmm, why is it when one gets older they can't help but get more nostalgic...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2000 1:19 pm

BlunderVirgin

Despite questionable weather, ADG & family did a good set. As to R. Jack, I was truly disappointed they didn't do more together, but really don't think Jack was up to it.
All in all, we had a good time,and got home at 3 AM Sat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2000 9:11 pm

What is the 1000 year old butter story? I never heard that one...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2000 2:50 am

Arlo Fanatic

I've been to enough shows to have heard that one a number of times. Arlo was in Scotland I think & they had this 1o00 yr old piece of butter on display. Neat story! Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2000 10:06 am

Arlo Fanatic

You might think that the butter story comes from staying the night at a Holiday Inn with complimentary continential breakfast, but you'd be wrong. Image
You gotta hear Arlo tell it! We don't wanna ruin it for you!

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Edited 1 times, lastly by Larry on Aug 05, 2000 ---</FONT></center>