Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Setlists & Show Reports

Post subject: st louis, june 3, 2000
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2000 3:11 am

Today I saw Arlo perform in St Louis on the riverfront near the arch. I didn't need a pen and paper to record the setlist- it was 3 songs long. It may have been the shortest concert I ever attended, but the price was right. It's not every day that a guy can afford to take the whole family to see a world famous folksinger. Actually the event wasn’t a concert at all, but rather the finish of a transcontinental disabled people's bicycle marathon in which a team from the west coast met a similar team that had started from Boston. After the bikes rolled in, there was an endless chain of longwinded speeches featuring the mayor, the postmaster (unveiling a commemorative stamp) and finally the secretary of transportation. Arlo sat patiently through most of this but did pace around a bit seeming anxious to get on with the gig. When he finally stepped up to the mike to a smattering of polite applause, he said he was "just gonna sing a coupla songs." It was almost as if he was apologizing for dragging the festivities out further. There were only a handful of Arlo fans in the small audience that had assembled primarily to cheer for the bikers. Arlo chose some tunes that the non-arlo-fan audience might recognize and appreciate. He started with 'City of New Orleans' and then told a story about his dad being on a postage stamp. (inspired by the postmaster on stage) He then did 'This Land is Your Land' and finished with a very abbreviated version of 'the Motorcycle Song' which someone in the audience had requested as an encore. It was an enjoyable little outdoor show on a sunny day. I was surprised that more of Arlo’s fans here didn't attend. When he performed here last April, the show was sold out weeks before. The only publicity for this event was the little blurb on arlonet. It's always a treat to see the folksinger. I just hope he stays around a little longer next time he rolls into town. dh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2000 3:18 am

Thanks for the report, Dave!

I will ask for you, Cheryl:
what was Arlo wearing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2000 3:37 am

arlo was wearing a blue denim baseball cap, shades, a bluish-green 'aloha' shirt, blue jeans, white tennis shoes. sorry, i'm unable to report any details on the underwear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2000 9:27 am

Good job Dave! I'm glad you were able to take the family to see Arlo. I wasn't able to go because of extenuating circumstances, but it sounds like all of the other hooha surrounding the concert (because Arlo is the center of the universe -- all things revolve around Arlo) was rather annoying, as I expected it to be... After all, isn't hooha Latin for "annoying and generally useless"? Probably not. I've been wrong before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2000 4:58 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I have a picture of him in his underwear so that answers that question. Image They shoulda let him sing longer. No black suit on? It must've been Rueben Clamzo singing. Image