Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Setlists & Show Reports

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 1999 2:16 am

Arlo Fanatic

REPOSTED THE INFO FROM THIS SO THAT IF THE OTHER BOARDS ARE SHUT DOWN I WON'T LOSE MY ACCOUNT OF HOW THE SHOW WENT...

Regency Park, Cary, NC With The NC Symphony... on June 26, 1999
Set List: This was a great show & my 1st time of seeing Arlo with the Symphony live although I did see the PBS EVENING AT POPS on tv.

PRE-SHOW REPORT:
The weather was nice but it was humid. Nice crowd. Sue our calendar girl & RottenDan (whos not Rotten!) & his wife were also in attendance as was my husband Mike & I & some folks wearing Arlo t-shirts. Nice folks! Blunderites always are! Image

Fashion Report:
Arlo wore a black suit with black longsleeve dress shirt & black dress boots. He took off the suit coat before performing due to the heat. As to the red socks the boots kept hid what he was wearing although rumors of red socks were in existance.

SHOW REPORT/SONG SETS:

FIRST HALF OF THE SHOW:

OPENING: The NC Symphony did several songs under the direction of their conductor. It was about 15 minutes. The conductor joked about having wore a Santa Claus suit at past performances while doing this one song they did that nite.

MAIN COURSE: CONDUCTOR: Arlos own Conductor John Nardolillo...
INSTRUMENTS: HIS GUITAR & HE PLAYED A BLACK GRAND PIANO INSTEAD OF HIS USUAL ELECTRIC KEYBOARDS...

Arlo comes out & Set list is as follows: Normally Arlo doesn't have a set plan. With this show & all his other Symphony shows he has to have a set plan because there were 100 musicians backing him. So the songs were picked in advance making it not feasable for audience requests. Therefore he did no Union Songs.

SONGS:

LAST TRAIN

IF YOU WOULD JUST DROP BY

RING AROUND A ROSY RAG (Complete with his story of the story behind the song-- his friends being arrested for playing Ring a Round The Rosy in Philly in the 60's...)

DARKEST HOUR (He stated after doing this song that he had done it in the wrong key but the orchestra had kept up with him & he was pleased)

He said his famous saying "You can't always do what your supposed to do"...

DOORS OF HEAVEN

MOOSES COME WALKING (His Moose poem. He did this one for the kids in the audience which he saw a few.)

CITY OF NEW ORLEANS (His 1972 hit complete with a story he's told in past shows about it's author the late Steve Goodman)

There was an intermission & I believe it was then (Forgot to write that down. LOL!)

ELVIS PRESLEYS (From his movie Blue Hawaii)
"I CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE WITH YOU"

WHEN A SOLIDER MAKES IT HOME (Complete with his famous story he likes to tell with it)

PROLOGUE (I believe this one was done on the piano)

CHARLIE CHAPLANS (The late actor) song "YOU ARE THE SONG"
He did this song singing it without playing any instruments. Beautiful! It was really moving. Very touching! (A real tearjerker. Image Time to break out the hankys)

GABRIELS HIGHWAY BALLAD #16 BLUES (Hope I got that all right! Long title!)

THIS LAND IS YOUR LAND (His father the late Woody Guthries signature song complete with the story of how his dad taugh him some verses not included in the version most often sung. He also told about his mother too that nite.)

Jamie Burton the song arranger for Arlo's Symphony gigs is brought up & introduced...

ENCORE:

KEYS TO THE HIGHWAY (Arlo was on guitar & Jamie Burton was on piano)
It sounded almost Jazz like...

GOODNITE IRENE (Complete with Leadbelly story he tells sometimes)

The audience kept shouting Arlo, Arlo, Arlo, Arlo. He & John came back out on stage. They weren't able to do anymore songs due to the town having noise ordinances where shows must end at 10 PM to keep from disturbing the neighbors.

Throughout the whole nite from beginning to end & beyond, Arlo was his usual wonderful, gracious, humorous & loveable self. It was a wonderful nite & a great time was had by all!

[This message has been edited by Cheryl Harrell (edited 08-28-1999).]