Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Setlists & Show Reports

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:13 am

BlunderVirgin

Just got home, with sister Deb (Louise on Arlo Net), from an evening with Arlo Guthrie! It was fabulous! His daughter, Sarah Lee (who has just been included in the top 30 female vocalists in the US) and her husband, Johnny Irion - nephew of John Steinbeck, opened the performance. Sarah Lee sang a beautiful song, acapella.

Arlo's performance was wonderful, not only for the songs, but also for the stories about his father, Woody, and all the amazing musicians he grew up around.

He sang old favorites and newer songs, and in an encore with daughter and son-in-law, finished off with his father's most well known song, "This Land Is Your Land, This Land Is My Land", and had the audience singing along.

Debbie is a 9 year member of Arlo Net, where he communicates with fans. She has been to two previous performances in Brisbane, so told us we had to hang around afterwards as he would come by. Our nephew Ben, and his wife Kelly, came with us, as well as my friend Leilani.

Sure enough, he came by and when Deb introduced herself, he exclaimed "I know you!" He talked with us for a few minutes and graciously posed with us for photos (these are to be posted later).

He asked where we were from and how long we had been in Australia, and was interested to hear that Dad had married Mom in Brisbane during WWII while here serving in General MacArthur's GHQ. He really laughed when we told him how Mom and Dad met at the Brisbane City Hall dance and when we asked Dad how he picked Mom out, he told us he went enny meeny miney moe, and Mom was moe.

He then went on to chat with others in the foyer on his way out.

Ben and Kelly went to get the car, and while we waited Arlo came back up the sidewalk and stopped to talk to some people.

When we drove off, he was just hanging by himself, texting on his phone, leaning up against the building, enjoying some quiet moments by himself, with his unique hair pulled back in a pony tail and a baseball cap on. The people passing him didn't have any idea who he was.

I found out that we were both born in 1947.

The best live performance I have ever been to! It was a small venue with caberet style setting, candle lit tables, great sound, only about 200 people, and we had a table front and center!

Thank you, Arlo, for giving us such a wonderful evening!

AussieSue1947

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:30 am

BlunderVirgin

Wow! I'm a virgin again! Thanks, Dave! But I'm having trouble with my Avatar!! Help!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:10 am

Arlo Fanatic

My sister, in her first post on ArloNet, has already given you a show report above. I will add that it was such a treat to see Arlo, Sarah Lee and Johnny up on the stage together. Sarah Lee sang like and angel, Johnny was enjoyably mellow and Arlo........well..........Arlo was just Arlo! What more can I say!

Hey adg, thanks again for a wonderful evening!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:02 am

Arlo Fanatic

Welcome to the site. Great show report. Sounds like fun! :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:38 am

Arlo Fanatic

just hangin' out late on Saturday night;)

Attachments:
DSCN0418.JPG
DSCN0418.JPG [ 63.11 KiB | Viewed 13448 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:35 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Nice picture! I'm glad you had a great time.
Thanks for the report!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:30 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Thanks for the great show report, Deb's seester! Glad that you had fun!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:21 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Thanks for sharing your show report and great photo AussieSue! Any sister of Deb is a friend of mine :wink: I would love to see Arlo in OZ someday, as I have always wanted to see him playing upside down :roll: Except, if I saw him play in OZ, I suppose I would be upside-down too? :?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:55 pm

Arlo Fanatic

:)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:20 am

Arlo Fanatic

Sounds like so much fun! :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:33 am

BlunderVirgin

Hi Everyone. Haven't been on the forums for ages (used to be Bobbi B). Went to the show at Twin Towns, Tweed Heads last Wednesday. LOVED IT!!!!!!! Hadn't seen Sarah Lee and Johnny before- what sweet voices, beautiful harmonies. Arlo fabulous, as always. His tribute to his Dad was very touching. How amazing this family is, to have four generations of musical talent!!! Love and blessings to all of the Guthrie clan, and may we be enjoying your music for many years to come! xxx Barb.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:47 pm

BlunderVirgin

I went to Port Fairy Folk Festival in Victoria for the first time this year. Three days of fantastic music by the Southern Ocean. It was HOT. 8) I had waited 44 years to see Arlo and I was not disappointed. Hope he returns soon but I know it's a long way to come. He signed my tee shirt and an album cover, it's getting framed at this moment. I think I was the happiest person there. I know I was smiling for a long time. :D
Love this site.
Cheers Wendy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:43 am

Arlo Fanatic

That is a neat story. :)