Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Setlists & Show Reports

Post subject: my Austin review...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:04 am

BlunderVirgin

Hi everyone…I’m Jon in Houston, TX.A little background on me. I’m 33, and thanks to my father(RIP Dad 2007) I grew up listening to Arlo and many other folk singers, including Woody, Pete Seeger, Richie Havens…I My earliest memory of attending an Arlo Guthrie concert dates back to 1982, or 1983. It was at Westbury Music fair in NY, and if I’m right, it was Pete Seeger’s Birthday that night. I also would go with my parents in the 1990’s to Carnegie Hall on the Friday after Thanksgiving for Pete and Arlo. Before this year, the last time I saw Arlo was in 1994!! It was the tour when Sarah Lee sang Sailing Down My Golden River. My mother sat on my left side, and my father sat on my right side (I will reference this later, I promise)
I recently saw Arlo and family 2 times, here in Houston, then the following week in Austin. Houston was a free show in Hermann Park, at Miller Outdoor Theater. It was ok, I was with a friend that got sick and we had to leave a little early. But the show in Austin, well it was a last minute call for me. I was able to purchase an Orchestra seat in Row E, center about 2pm day of show. My boss let me leave work an hour early in Houston so I could make the show, it’s about 2.5 hour drive. The hall in Austin was beautiful, sort of reminded me of Carnegie Hall, if you’ve been there. Well I sat in my seat and very strange the seat to my left was occupied by a woman in her 60’s and the seat in my right was empty, nobody ever came to sit there. Call me crazy, but it totally felt odd, almost like Mom on my left and Dad would have sat to my right in the empty seat. Lights out…..

Sarah Lee and Johnny came out to start off the show, they opened with When Lilacs are in Bloom. What a beautiful song, and Sarah Lee has the voice of an angel. After that was their song Kindness, which incorporates part of one of Arlo’s old stories into it about bringing your own God to church. Then one of my favorites, Sarah Lee and Johnny performed a song called folksong. Words by Woody Guthrie, music by Sarah Lee and Johnny. Johnny mentions it was written Oct, 5 1950, or something close to that. I love the music they wrote for this song. It gets blurry after that, I don’t remember the ordr of the songs. Arlo came out then and sang Gypsy Davy. Cathy and guest Amy Nelson sang “Shit Makes the SLowers Grow” Later they also sang Knock Me Up. Another great part of the show is the songs from Go Waggaloo, Sarah Lee and Family’s children’s album. This 33 year old child loves it. Sarah Lee’s daughter and niece sing. Olivia, Sarah’s daughter is just adorable, and looks like a natural on stage. The kids sang a few verses of “Take Me to Show and Tell”. Also they sang “Don’t I Fit in my Daddy’s shoes” from the album. Arlo sang Pretty Boy Floyd and talked about how he wasn’t sure if it was good or bad, that his dad’s songs are still, or relevant again. Mentioned the “economic downturn” Other first set songs were “every hundred years” , “Dead or Alive” “Mooses Come Walking” and “coming into Los Angeles” which Arlo talks about getting to Woodstock and the craziness that ensued. I’m sure there was other songs, but I didn’t write down the setlist.

During intermission I was talking with some people around me, they all tough I was crazy for driving there, I told them I had to work in Houston at 7:30 the next day. (I made it on time)

I don’t remember what song opened the second set, but the set included Sarah Lee singing “Gonna Get Through This World” by The Klezmatics. From the Mermaid Avenue series, they performed Birds and Ships, and Airline to Heaven. Arlo’s 3 daughter’s sang “Bring me A Little Water, Sylvie” and they sounded just beautiful together. The lead in story was about Leadbelly and Arlo finding his grave in LA and playing some songs there in his memory/honor. Krishna Guthrie (Arlo’s grandson, Abe’s son) sang a song called “Siren” that he wrote. He reminds me of Arlo at a young age, the way he sounds. I don’t remember what set it was in, but Annie sang a song “Lullabye” that she wrote for her kids. Also Arlo told the story of “Deportees” before playing that song. The last part of the show was my favorite. I got to hear “City of New Orleans” which I LOVE. Then Arlo launched into “This Land is your Land” After that, he said the show was over but it was too difficult to get all the kids (he has 8 grandkids on stage) off and back on stage. At any given time there was anywhere from 2 to 15 people or so on stage!! There is a youtube video that Jackie posted of the next part. Sophie, went to Arlo before they played and they had a short exchange, she is about 2 or so. In which she asked he grandfather to play her song, when he asked what it was she said “little Lamb” Sarah Lee picked her up, and arlo played it on the guitar and she sang “Mary had a little lamb” The video is located here

http://www.youtube.com/user/jguth3#p/u/0/xY2j7dKvchc

Then Sarah Lee sang “Keep on the Sunny Side” and finally the show closed with a Woody Guthrie Song called “My Peace” I believe Arlo wrote the music for this one. Everyone sang along and it was beautiful. After the lights came on, I slowly made my way out. As I passed the merchandise table, I saw Sarah Lee standing there. I had my Go Waggaloo cd with me, I was going to meet a friend and let them borrow it, but they bailed on the show. Now, when I first saw Sarah Lee sing back in 1994, one could say I had somewhat of a crush on her. Now all these years later, finally I get to meet her. And she could not have been nicer. For a minute I flashed back to that shy teenager and sort of stumbled when she asked me my name. I got my picture with her, and also Johnny was there, I got a picture with him too. I purchased Go Waggaloo on vinyl and got that signed as well. Then I got to my car and headed back to Houston. Got back to my house about 2am, and was at work on time the next day. What a great night of music and stories. There was times, especially during songs like “City of New Orleans”, “Sunny Side” and “This Land is your land” I really missed having my dad there. These songs, along with many other songs I grew up on bring back some great memories of my childhood and things. I’m sure I left out some details, but as you can tell I surely had a great time, and can’t wait to do it again.

Post subject: Re: my Austin review...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:05 am

Arlo Fanatic

Just watched the video. What a hoot! Thanks to Jackie for sharing her videos with everyone! And thanks, Jon, for your great story, and welcome to Arlonet!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:29 am

Arlo Fanatic

Thanks Jon, for your great description of the show. And to echo Judy, many thanks as always to Mrs. G for providing us all with such a fantastic collection of Guthrie videos just a "click" away. I've been attending Arlo concerts for about 35 years, every chance I get, and this one, "The Guthrie Family Rides Again", just makes me smilingly wonder, "What's next?"..........whatever it is, I can't wait!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:57 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Amen ya'll. And welcome to the site...

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:02 am

BlunderVirgin

Thanks for the welcome to the site. I've been enjoying reading what other's have to say about the shows. It's awesome Jackie shares these videos with us, a huge thanks to her for that. I think I'm going to love spending lots of time here.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:11 am

Arlo Fanatic

She does a great job with the vids. Thanks Jackie. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:10 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Jon,
We (Jay--"Cliffite" and I) chatted with you a couple of times and were there when you talked to Sarah Lee and Johnny. We didn't think you were crazy--just felt sorry for you, with the late drive back and all. We enjoyed talking with you--maybe we'll see you at another Blunderite convergence.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:44 pm

BlunderVirgin

Ceashel,
I do remember meeting you, didn't know you were on here, well i wasn't at that point, lol. Anyway the drive home wasn't bad at all, i made it no time. Friends, coworkers, the people next to me, all thought I was crazy for doing the drive. Definitely meet at another show, somewhere dfown the line.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:55 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Don't worry. Folks think we're crazy for making the drive to see Arlo alot. But he is worth it! :)

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:04 pm

BlunderVirgin

he sure is worth it. I'm still talking about the show, lol. I think I figured out how to post pictures, so here is the shows of me and Sarah Lee and Johnny.

Attachments:
File comment: me and Johnny Irion
Johnny Irion.jpg
Johnny Irion.jpg [ 138.92 KiB | Viewed 11941 times ]
File comment: me and Sarah Lee
Sarah Lee small.jpg
Sarah Lee small.jpg [ 126.91 KiB | Viewed 11941 times ]
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:34 am

Arlo Fanatic

Nice photos Cuz!!! The Guthries just might be famous one day :wink: :D