Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Folksinger Spottings » Archives

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:53 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Not sure at all, but the beads look like kukui nuts (Hawaiian; were worn by royalty but now are more available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:11 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Had to add a new post; can't edit to finish the thought--I am glad to learn about Rudraksha beads. I've admired them for a long time, but now they mean more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:06 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Rudraksha beads are associated with Hindu tradition.....the story being that Shiva (the male form of God) looked down upon the earth and saw the suffering of humans....He cried for their pain ....and where his tears fell, the trees that bear Rudraksha grew.....they grow primarily in India, Nepal and Tibet....

...some Gurus certainly do wear them and give them as well (MA Jaya Sati Bhagavati does).....generally to wear them means to commit yourself to God's service.....of course you don't need a Guru to give them to you....they are available for anyone....but do carry some meaning....
love,
kj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:12 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Thanks, that descripton explains a lot , "commit yourself to gods service". What good way to serve him (may he be called God, Allah, Manitou, Shiva ....) Arlo found with the music , the words and the example he gives to us .
He must have the Rudraksha beads for a long time, cause I think they show on photos that date a few years back, I think about the one with the hawaiian shirt and the beautiful long hair, and the one with the guitar sitting in front of the bus. I am not sure, but they look the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:18 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Location: Sunkistpower, Florida and the Janet Wood School Of L'eggsology studying sheer drama up to my waist
kj wrote:
Rudraksha beads are associated with Hindu tradition.....the story being that Shiva (the male form of God) looked down upon the earth and saw the suffering of humans....He cried for their pain ....and where his tears fell, the trees that bear Rudraksha grew.....they grow primarily in India, Nepal and Tibet....

...some Gurus certainly do wear them and give them as well (MA Jaya Sati Bhagavati does).....generally to wear them means to commit yourself to God's service.....of course you don't need a Guru to give them to you....they are available for anyone....but do carry some meaning....
love,
kj

Thanks for the interesting story...you learn something new everyday :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:35 pm

Arlo Fanatic

BTW, supposedly Lord Shiva only looked down to see what was happening in this world after his wife Parvati had looked first and said "Hey! You better see what's happening down there!" The moral of the story is something like "If God's crying for you, then you have no reason to cry for yourself." I think of that story whenever things get rough or I'm upset about something. It helps a lot. I wear rudrakshas, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:18 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Arlo singing "House of Rising Sun" at Chicago concert:
http://www.norwalkadvocate.com/entertai ... -headlines

article includes video and 13 images:
http://www.nbc5.com/entertainment/5475677/detail.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:16 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Location: Sunkistpower, Florida and the Janet Wood School Of L'eggsology studying sheer drama up to my waist
8) Thanks for posting the pix and article :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:13 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

janet wrote:
Arlo singing "House of Rising Sun" at Chicago concert:
http://www.norwalkadvocate.com/entertai ... -headlines

article includes video and 13 images:
http://www.nbc5.com/entertainment/5475677/detail.html

Thanks for posting, it is hard for me over in Europe to keep track with things, posts like this help a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:37 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Ridin' the rails
Legendary folksinger Arlo Guthrie, left, shakes hands with Guy Davis just after the two just accompanied each other on "On a Monday" to end Davis's set Monday at Copper Dragon in Carbondale. (STEVE JAHNKE / THE SOUTHERN)
http://www.southernillinoisan.com/artic ... 066250.txt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:17 pm

Arlo Fanatic

janet wrote:
Ridin' the rails
Legendary folksinger Arlo Guthrie, left, shakes hands with Guy Davis just after the two just accompanied each other on "On a Monday" to end Davis's set Monday at Copper Dragon in Carbondale. (STEVE JAHNKE / THE SOUTHERN)
http://www.southernillinoisan.com/artic ... 066250.txt

8) Very nice pic! I just love those boots, sporting the latest fashion trend :) .....Thanks for sharing

Peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:43 am

Arlo Fanatic

I love his boots! Those are sooo cool! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:31 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I saw a pic in "This is the Arlo Guthrie Book" with Arlo sitting on his porch with his dog wearing boots similar to the ones he currently wore on his tour with the lamb's wool lining cuff at the top of them. How ironic :o.... Oh no the dog was not wearing boots :lol: How silly would that be :roll:
When I first saw the Chicago CBS News video online that close up of the rocking boot scared me, I thought it was a thriller movie from Fisher Price Theatre entitled "The Old Woman Who Lived In a Shoe" :twisted:

Peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:53 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I'm betting that those are the same boots... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:13 pm

Arlo Fanatic

sue wrote:
I'm betting that those are the same boots... :lol:

LOL!!!....and in great shape after all these years.....what is the secret?.....These boots are made for walking :wink:

Peace

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.