Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Folksinger Spottings » Archives

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:34 am

Arlo Fanatic

What a great article! Today as we have our Thanksgiving meal and listen to Alice's (again and again, no doubt!), we'll know we are joined in spirit for some cornbread dressing and pumpkin pie by Kathy and Louise/Deb and Beverley (you don't get out of it just 'cause you're a Brit!) and lots of others. And this weekend we'll all "be" at Carnegie. If it seems warmer while some of you are hanging out before and after the show, that's all the rest of us crowding around on that block of 57th, trying to get a sniff of Sherry's cookies.

Thanks for sharing your article, Kathy, and for the reminder that we're all together even if we're not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:48 am

Arlo Fanatic

Kathy thanks for that! I don't feel quite so homesick now!
Thanks for giving us a place at your table Shel (can't wait to try that cornbread stuffing) And yea I too will be at Carnegie in spirit.........oh to taste Sherry's cookies............sigh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:50 am

Senior ArloNetizen

I miss cornbread stuffing! Eat a bunch for me Shel. ;)
And, everyone at the Carnegie show has to sing really, really loud so that those of us far away can hear it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:19 am

Arlo Fanatic

Thanks for posting that. It was interesting. Did you write that? If so you did great writing it... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:18 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Busted - I wrote it. :oops: I write for them several times a week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:46 pm

Arlo Fanatic

have no fear bhak! my son and i will make a concerted effort to eat extra cookies in front of Carnegie just in your honor! (I hope sherry has got the dough-re-mi!) And don't worry about singin' loud, it's the only volume I have!

happy turkey-turkey day!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:06 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Column in today's Boston Globe about Arlo titled "Now friends, here's a story:Alice again invades airwaves."
http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/articles/20 ... _airwaves/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:10 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Hey, you did a great job writing that. :) Hope I didn't uncover ya if you didn't want to be uncovered. It was interesting reading... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:20 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Great article. Hope your friend Gigi and her comrades are doing ok. Sending my thoughts to them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:52 pm

Arlo Fanatic

He mentioned this at a recent concert...yep, he's in the current issue! Nice photo of him on the cover, too!

http://www.flatpick.com/Pages/Current_I ... Issue.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:13 am

Arlo Fanatic

Thanks for the info! Is this available in stores? If not we'll have to order online...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:08 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Sorry to be late with this, but here is the link to the review of the Carnegie show in the NY TImes:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/26/arts/ ... ref=music#

and for those of you who are "link challenged" :

Quote:
Folk, With an Unusual Bunch of Instruments
Michael Falco for The New York Times
Arlo Guthrie, on guitar, performing with the University of Kentucky Symphony Orchestra.

By ALLAN KOZINN
Published: November 26, 2007
In the tradition of the American folk singer that he has upheld for the last 40 years, Arlo Guthrie usually performs on his own or with a few sidemen. But for his annual holiday concert at Carnegie Hall on Saturday evening Mr. Guthrie went symphonic, turning up with the University of Kentucky Symphony Orchestra, led by John Nardolillo. Mr. Nardolillo and his ensemble also accompany Mr. Guthrie on his latest album, “In Times Like These” (Rising Son Records), recorded this year.

The album, which Mr. Guthrie and the orchestra performed almost in its entirety, mostly revisits favorites from Mr. Guthrie’s past work, including his version of Steve Goodman’s “City of New Orleans” and his own “Darkest Hour,” “Last Train” and “Last to Leave.” Curiously, the album’s title song, composed as a response to the Hurricane Katrina disaster (both natural and man-made), is performed by Mr. Guthrie to just his own guitar, on disc and in concert.

If the arrangements by James Burton don’t do anything so grand as put the songs in a new or deeper perspective, they have the virtue of keeping out of Mr. Guthrie’s way. That isn’t to say they’re unattractive.

For “St. James Infirmary,” a blues standard, Mr. Burton added trumpet and clarinet lines that evoke — albeit at a distance — the jazzy spirit of the Louis Armstrong recording. He also supplied a lovely string score, with a singing oboe line, for Mr. Guthrie’s ruminative “Epilogue” and a lush backing for Mr. Guthrie’s account of “You Are the Song,” a sentimental piece with music by Charlie Chaplin and lyrics by Glen Anthony.

Mr. Guthrie has never been anyone’s idea of a virtuoso singer, and the Chaplin song — as well as a cover of the old Elvis Presley hit “Can’t Help Falling in Love” — pushed the edge of his range a bit. But Mr. Guthrie never let considerations of that kind stand in his way, and given the expressivity of his assertively untutored, idiosyncratic style, there’s no reason he should. His voice has retained much of the freshness it had in the 1970s. And he can still spin an amusing yarn between songs.

Mr. Nardolillo and his student orchestra had the show’s first half-hour to themselves, with an exuberant reading of Bernstein’s “Candide” Overture and a focused account of Copland’s “Appalachian Spring” Suite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:30 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Finally got my Vanity Fair (the first and probably only time I'll buy it)
The photos are great. I enjoyed also seeing the photos of the Kennedy's pushing happy the families image (but don't we all???). You gotta admit they were charismatic.

So strange to see those airbrushed stilleto diamond wearing VS girls then turn the page to see Joan up a tree in her jeans and bare feet. I know who I would rather hang out with!!!!!!!

Post subject: Arlo in WSJ Quiz
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:58 am

Senior ArloNetizen

The Wall Street Journal Dec. 31, 2007 issue has on page B1 an article titled "Fast Away The Old Year Passes.
It lists some 14 questions about events of the past year.
Question 1. is: "Nolan Ryan, Arlo Guthrie,Farrah Fawcett, Mitt Romney: This year these four were on a list of famous people who:
a.sued the National Enquirer
b.celebrated their 60th birthdays
c.were treated for cancer
d.ran for office
e.are Mormans

Needless to say everyone on this forum knows the answer to that one.
Around the article an artist drew a charicature of some of some of the folks mentioned including ADG. :lol:

Post subject: Arlo in Vanity Fair
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:53 pm

Hi everyone haven't been on in awhile - Happy New Year to all
Did I miss Arlo in Vanity Fair? I've been looking - but could have missed it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.