Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Folksinger Spottings » Archives

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:45 pm

Arlo Fanatic

You are probably right about who wrote From A Distance. I do have the cd of Kathy Matea singing it. Though its worn out. I may have worn one out on a juke box in Missisippi one night when I first heard it. That Ready for the Storm gave me some emotional strength for months after too. Though the storm got worse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:15 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Sue's right -- Julie Gold wrote "From a Distance". In years past both Bette Midler and Nanci Griffith each made their own recordings of the song.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:52 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Oh, I was pretty sure Sue was right. I knew Kathy Matea didn't write it or "I feel like all creation is asking us to dance." Or even "Ready for the Storm it is going to take to get something done in D.C."
But wouldn't adg and Matea make a great crossroad show for CMT? CMT doesn't back down from political stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:49 am

Arlo Fanatic

Yeah, Sue's right. I wonder if Mike has Kathy Matteas version of it. he has some records/tapes of her. I like that song & think it's a good one...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:10 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

The New York Times today Feb.4,2008 on page A21 has an article with photos of various folks and their political endorsements.
About half way down the collection of photos and slightly to right of center (that doesn't sound right) is a photo of Arlo and the listing below the photo identifies him as a musician who is endorsing Ron Paul.
The title of the article is "Endorsements of All Shapes and Sizes."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:53 pm

Ron Paul's MySpace page: One of RP's favorite songs - Alice's Restaurant!
http://www.myspace.com/RonPaul2008

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:28 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Cool! Now Arlo can do his campaign song too... :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:29 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

The Boston Globe today Feb. 24, 2008 has a huge article about Alice Brock with of course a mention or two about the song and ADG.
http://www.boston.com/travel/explorene/ ... staurants/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:51 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Not sure if this is the place for this, but:

Last week, several buildings in Historic Downtown Durango (where we saw Arlo last May) burned... one actually exploded!

This morning, one of our historic theaters in the Historic Downtown theater district caught fire... I drove past it tonight on my way home from UNM and it didn't look as bad as I thought. But my roommate said she heard differently... so I looked it up on our local TV station's website... and there was Arlo's name!

El Rey is just a block from the Kimo where Arlo's been playing the last few times he's been in ABQ.

http://www.koat.com/news/15435872/detail.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:54 pm

BlunderVirgin

Ok, here's a strange one for you....

Arlo is mentioned in Stephen King's latest novel, Duma Key. I just discovered that last night. I didn't take note of the page number to tell you, and don't have the book with me to check. I did look at the time, and I think it might have been 189, but I can't be sure. The main character is talking to a friend of his in the book, talking about summer visitors to the Keys. The characters have a habit of quoting movies, famous people and such, and this time, the main character says, "Mother-stabbers and father-rapers". (Ok, he got the quote wrong, don't tell me, tell King.) The other character then replies with something like "Arlo Guthrie. 1967." And the main character says back, "And the movie was 1969, I believe." At least, the dialogue was something like that - I'm doing this from memory, which, though mine isn't bad, isn't necessarily photographic or anything.

Anyway, just sort of funny to be reading along, engrossed in the book, and then be kind of jerked out by this reference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:40 pm

Arlo Fanatic

He's also casually mentioned in Shel Silverstein's new biography, "A Boy named Shel by Lisa Rogak. It's on page 55, and the reference is that in the Chicago folk scene, a woman by the name of Jo Mapes was very active, and frequently her living room was the scene of impromptu jams. Shel would show up from time to time, and others that attended were Odetta, Arlo Guthrie and Spanky McFarland.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:27 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Just came across this ad for Arlo tix:

"Saddle up cause Arlo Guthrie is comin' to town! Wrangle up some pals or your sweetheart and get ready for some good fun! Yee haw we're excited about the extensive Arlo Guthrie concert schedule and you should be too! Lucky for you, Vivid Seats sells all the tickets you'll want for Arlo Guthrie concerts. The Arlo Guthrie country show is guaranteed to make friends out of strangers so don't miss out on this good time. Now with tickets from Vivid Seats you are one click away from seeing Arlo Guthrie live! Tickets are available in every price range and every city for all Arlo Guthrie tour dates. Browse through our extensive Arlo Guthrie inventory and see for yourself the great selection of tickets we have available. Don't dilly dally, purchase your Arlo Guthrie concert tickets today!"

And they actually have tix for the Phila show next Fall ($70 to $120)
http://www.vividseats.com/concerts/arlo ... and%20Folk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:00 am

Arlo Fanatic

It's a LOT cheaper if you buy the tickets for the Keswick show from the Keswick...I got tickets in row FF for $$36.00. Places that offer tickets but aren't part of the venue are sorta like scalpers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:23 am

Arlo Fanatic

sue wrote:
It's a LOT cheaper if you buy the tickets for the Keswick show from the Keswick...I got tickets in row FF for $$36.00. Places that offer tickets but aren't part of the venue are sorta like scalpers...

Of course! IF I could get back there :) But did you read the write-up? Arlo's gone country?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:07 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Terrie wrote:
Of course! IF I could get back there :) But did you read the write-up? Arlo's gone country?

If you ask me, that's just proof that the sellers are just looking for their bucks... they haven't got a clue who they are selling tix for!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.