Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Folksinger Spottings » Arlo On TV & Radio

Post subject: Arlo on CNN
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:10 pm

Arlo Fanatic

At the Facebook page people are mentioning Arlo on CNN quite recently. Did anyone here see that? Details please?

Post subject: Re: Arlo on CNN
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:28 am

Arlo Fanatic

As usual I miss everything. I would've loved to have seen that...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:43 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Ditto, what Cheryl said, ihave missed so much of late, Arlo on CNN, Pete Seeger's 90th b'day on PBS and a lot more. I feel like I'm living on the moon sometimes.
Gotta pay more attention.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:15 am

Senior ArloNetizen

I have missed a lot too with my PC being down.

It's true...like living on moon!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:29 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Here is the transcript of the CNN interview of Arlo:

http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0908/14/cnr.02.html

Quote:
(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

COSTELLO: Woodstock 40 years ago now, when hundreds of thousands immersed themselves in mud, music, and many of them drugs, hoping their shared experience would change the world.

COSTELLO (on camera): What do you remember from those days being at Woodstock?

ARLO GUTHRIE, FOLK SINGER: I remember getting there.

COSTELLO (voice-over): In the movie "Woodstock," 22-year-old Arlo Guthrie seemed a bit overwhelmed.

COSTELLO (on camera): How did it change you? GUTHRIE: I never participated in anything or indulged in anything before a concert again.

COSTELLO: Why? GUTHRIE: Because at the same time that it was wonderful double- edged sword where I was in no shape to be performing, and at the same time, it was the performance of my life. That's freaking Shakespearean to me.

COSTELLO (voice-over): He calls Woodstock a single unifying icon that's come to symbolize bigger, more important movements of the times, like the civil rights movement and the anti-war movement.

And Guthrie is perhaps more well-known for his anti-war anthem in film "Alice's Restaurant" than he is for "Woodstock."

And yes, this is the Alice's Restaurant, really a deconsecrated church. Guthrie bought it and has turned it into a spiritual community center.

If his life sounds like one long stereotypical hippie trip, you're wrong.

COSTELLO (on camera): You know, when I told people that I was going to come up and talk with you, the first thing people said was, oh, my god, isn't he a conservative now?

(LAUGHTER)

Are you?

GUTHRIE: I'm never a conservative.

COSTELLO (voice-over): But he is a registered Republican.

COSTELLO (on camera): Did you vote for John McCain?

GUTHRIE: No. My political sort of voting record is not up for public discussion.

COSTELLO: Sarah Palin?

GUTHRIE: I think she's fun.

COSTELLO (voice-over): Guthrie admires her anti-elitist spunk. You could say it mirrors his own. He's actually a family values kind of guy, married to Jackie for 40 years, plays in a band with his own kids, lives in the same house he bought with profits from "Alice' Restaurant" back in 1969.

And as a Republican, he fears a Democrat-controlled country. Besides --

GUTHRIE: I have always been more comfortable being a loyal opposition than a rah-rah, yes, let's go get them, we're in power now kind of guy. COSTELLO: That said, Guthrie is still a child of the '60s, still vehemently anti-war, anti-establishment, beliefs born at Woodstock that have not changed with time.

GUTHRIE: It revived your faith in human beings. It made you feel like you could trust your buddy even though they were telling you you couldn't.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

COSTELLO: Guthrie also told me watching Barack Obama's inauguration was a validation for the Woodstock generation. It is a large part of what they fought for. As a Republican, though, he doesn't like the president's stimulus package or health care reform.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:37 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Well, as we may have mentioned in other words on another thread, perhaps those that call themselves republicans will be more willing to listen to what Arlo has to say if he calls himself one too. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:41 pm

Arlo Fanatic

The way the transcript reads, the interviewer relied more on his own thoughts (overdubs) about Arlo than what Arlo was saying but that seems natural enough.

It got their attention. Comments are mixed on the news sites. Some get it. Some don't. Some Palin haters get irate. He's making them think while he's defusing animosity. He's starting conversations and isn't that what activist folkies do? I hope so. Creative conversing is just what we need instead of confrontation. He talks about Palin and Quayle the way a kid comes back from Wringling Brothers talking about the clowns... respectfully but with a big grin.

My *intuition* is he's coming up with a helluva good story about this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:12 am

Arlo Fanatic

Thanks for posting that. Wish I could've seen it live tho. So glad he is again Obama health care reform. Obama means well but he's not doing it the right way...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:32 pm

ArloNetizen

Larry wrote:
Well, as we may have mentioned in other words on another thread, perhaps those that call themselves republicans will be more willing to listen to what Arlo has to say if he calls himself one too. :wink:
I call myself a Republican and I've been listening to Arlo for 40 years.

As a Republican, the main Democratic policies I have issue with are those that offer free rides without incentive for people to help themselves. I fully realize that this is an awful thin line to distinguish. But a society such as ours must do just that.

Free rides breed surrender to failure. Sometimes hunger gives birth to prosperity. Does that sound a bit Arloish to anybody?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:27 am

Arlo Fanatic

My goodness!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:02 am

Arlo Fanatic

Glad to see more Republicans out there. Means, I'm not alone lol. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:18 pm

ArloNetizen

Cheryl Harrell wrote:
Glad to see more Republicans out there. Means, I'm not alone lol. :)

Right on Cheryl... But I gotta say, I don't trust politicians of any persuasion.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:33 am

Arlo Fanatic

The only one we can trust is Arlo...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:04 pm

Arlo Fanatic

draz54 wrote:
As a Republican, the main Democratic policies I have issue with are those that offer free rides without incentive for people to help themselves. ...
Like the free rides given to Wall Street and the banking industry last fall? And to the super-rich, ever since Reagan exempted them from paying taxes?

draz54 wrote:
Sometimes hunger gives birth to prosperity. Does that sound a bit Arloish to anybody?
Sounds kind of more Palinish to me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:09 pm

ArloNetizen

Ceashel wrote:
draz54 wrote:
As a Republican, the main Democratic policies I have issue with are those that offer free rides without incentive for people to help themselves. ...
Like the free rides given to Wall Street and the banking industry last fall? And to the super-rich, ever since Reagan exempted them from paying taxes?

draz54 wrote:
Sometimes hunger gives birth to prosperity. Does that sound a bit Arloish to anybody?
Sounds kind of more Palinish to me.
So... I take it that you're in favor of giving free rides without incentive to help themselves... Not much I can say to sway your opinion then.

PS... Why the nastiness?