Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Trading Post

Fast Free File Sharing - Support ArloNet's Live Shows & Share Your Own
DropBox Flie Sharing

Post subject: Taping Shows: Equipment
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:16 pm

BlunderVirgin

Just was interested in starting this thread. I'm 16, and i recorded an Arlo show this past summer at Prescott Park in Portsmouth, NH. I used a Tascam DP-008 with the internal mics, Reverb, and Garage band for sound editing. (If enough people want this show, i can trade them.)

I was curious to see what other people use for equipment to record Arlo.

Max

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:42 pm

The W!zard

My current rig:

Edirol R-09HR
AT933 mics (omni, cards, hyper elements) - same as AT853 but slimmer body
SP-PREAMP (Sound Professionals)
SP-SPSB-1 Battery Box (bass rolloff & level adjust)

I do my post processing on a MacBook running Sound Studio 4 (occasionally Audacity - mostly for noise reduction) while listening with a set of Sony MDR-7506 cans.

My rig hasn't changed much but I did upgrade from a Sony MZ-R900 MD to the Edirol. I also have a Sony ECM-MS907 mic that I started with but rarely use now.

For video I use a Panasonic Lumix FZ100, and edit with iMovie to iDVD.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:46 pm

The W!zard

BTW, if you are looking for gear, I love Sound Professionals. Great gear at good prices and great customer support (especially helpfull in making sure you get what you want if you are unsure). Chris is awesome and they stand behind their stuff!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:32 am

BlunderVirgin

Dave wrote:
BTW, if you are looking for gear, I love Sound Professionals. Great gear at good prices and great customer support (especially helpfull in making sure you get what you want if you are unsure). Chris is awesome and they stand behind their stuff!

do you think using a cheap 100$ shure sm57 would work for an AUD recording? they are pretty versatile mics.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:53 am

ArloNetizen

davism14 wrote:
Dave wrote:

do you think using a cheap 100$ shure sm57 would work for an AUD recording? they are pretty versatile mics.

Yes, but for quieter shows I recommend you use a preamp and for loud shows a battery box at the least. Any external mic is going to be better than internals. It's all a matter of your budget. I highly recommend SP-CMC-8 from Sound Professionals and CA-14 from Church Audio. If you have a $1000-$2000 budget than Neumann or Schoeps come to mind.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:35 am

BlunderVirgin

im not looking to spend too much on this. i have very good internal mics, and i was thinking just buying a sm57 would give me a better aud sound if i put it up high on a stand.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:31 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Hey Dave, would it be possible to Wizard up some sort of device or feature that would translate the posts in this forum into English? :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:21 pm

The W!zard

Drgiggles1 wrote:
Yes, but for quieter shows I recommend you use a preamp and for loud shows a battery box at the least. Any external mic is going to be better than internals. It's all a matter of your budget. I highly recommend SP-CMC-8 from Sound Professionals and CA-14 from Church Audio. If you have a $1000-$2000 budget than Neumann or Schoeps come to mind.

Totally agree here! For reference, I've never been to an Arlo show where a Preamp wasn't the right choice... And most rock concerts you're gonna want the battery box. Church Audio has good stuff, I've just heard sometimes you wait a bit as I believe he makes most stuff to order. If those are the premium slimline mics from Sound Professionals, yes, they are very nice - if you ever plan to stealth tape, the smaller the mic the better. I find that even if open taping is allowed, I try to keep a low profile so as not to attract the attention of others around me - unless you want the drunk idiot next to you screaming into your mics the whole show.

But really, just do your research - you can put together a good budget rig and expand and upgrade the more you get into it or as you have the money. It's a fun hobby, remember that, if you aren't having fun with it - it's not worth spending the money!

Kevin, just go hang out on the TapersSection.com forums for a bit and see if you don't start picking some of it up... LOL!