Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Folksinger Spottings » Arlo Articles & Reviews

Post subject: Another Arlo Article
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:33 am

Arlo Fanatic

Here is another Arlo Article I found online:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/t ... cation=rss

The Guthrie family brings the spirit of song and protest to Kent

A Q&A with Arlo Guthrie, son of the great American troubadour Woody Guthrie. Arlo is now touring the country with his wife and musical brood.

By Misha Berson

Seattle Times arts critic

Arlo Guthrie, right, has been touring with his wife, four adult children and seven grandkids.
Enlarge this photo

ARLO GUTHRIE

Arlo Guthrie, right, has been touring with his wife, four adult children and seven grandkids.

Concert preview

Arlo Guthrie & Family
8 p.m. Saturday, ShoWare Center, Kent; $27-$40 (253-856-6777 or www.showarecenter.com). 7:30 p.m. Sunday, Mount Baker Theatre, Bellingham; $20-$42 (360-734-6080 or www.mountbakertheatre.com).

advertising

The road can be a cold and lonely place for musicians. But not for Arlo Guthrie.

Since last fall, the troubadour and his wife, Jackie, their four adult kids and seven grandkids (about 20 souls all told, counting roadies) have been touring together. This weekend, they'll perform en masse at ShoWare Center in Kent on Saturday night and Bellingham's Mount Baker Theatre on Sunday.

They'll be dipping into the songbook of Arlo's legendary singer-songwriter dad, Woody — making it a four-generation Guthrie jamboree.

At 62, Arlo still has the long curly locks (now snow-white), the reedy ol' twang, and the raconteur's gift for gab that made him a hippie icon in the 1960s, when his anti-Vietnam War patter song "Alice's Restaurant Massacree" became a hit.

Guthrie raised his kids and still lives in rural Massachusetts, near where that tune is set. The amiable singer-songwriter chatted with us by phone recently about life on the road with his family.

Q: Why bring the clan on tour?

A: This is a once-in-a-lifetime deal. My son Abe has been playing [keyboards] with me for 20, 30 years now. My daughter Cathy has a group, Folk Uke, with Willie Nelson's daughter. My daughter Sarah and her husband Johnny Irion are musicians. But we've never all done something together at the same time. It's fun — there's a certain spirit in our family that infuses everything.

Q: What's it like logistically?

A: We go in two buses. In California, the police stopped one and asked if we had illegal immigrants on board. Actually, we're like gypsies. We come to town, stay a little while and leave before people get tired of us.

Q: Your grandkids are ages 2 to 18. How are the little ones holding up?

A: It's like herding cats. They mainly need to know when to appear and disappear.

Q: Did you encourage your kids to become musicians?

A: We gave them piano lessons, but they all quit! That was the end of structured music. But Abe knew what he wanted at 3. He was riding his Big Wheels one day and came home with a keyboard. He'd traded his bike for it. Sarah held out a long time, then she met Johnny. Love does crazy things.

Q: What songs are performing on this tour?

A: Some of my stuff, Johnny and Sarah's stuff. My dad's songs, including lyrics he left behind, with music by Wilco, Billy Bragg and others. I wanted to say thank you to those musicians for doing that. What better way than to sing the songs?

Q: Woody, Pete Seeger, Bob Dylan wrote protest songs that are a big part of the American songbook. Are there new protest songs you like?

A: Yes. They aren't always valued by the music industry, but you can find them on YouTube. When times get tough that's reflected in our music. And we still have the old songs that contain the history of the people — my dad and Pete's stuff, cowboy tunes, gospel songs ...

Q: Who comes to your shows?

A: A cross-generational crowd. My dad's peers still show up, and mine. And they're bringing their kids and grandkids. Music doesn't die, it moves through time. It's the spirit of the thing.

Post subject: Re: Another Arlo Article
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:33 am

Arlo Fanatic

Thanks for sharing that Cheryl!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:24 am

Arlo Fanatic

Quote:
A: Yes. They aren't always valued by the music industry, but you can find them on YouTube. When times get tough that's reflected in our music. And we still have the old songs that contain the history of the people — my dad and Pete's stuff, cowboy tunes, gospel songs ...

Thanks Arlo. The digital street doowops are doin' alright ... :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:27 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Nice interview , thanks for sharing :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:56 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Glad to share. I found it in a news alert on him I got in my ea-mail...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:56 am

BlunderVirgin

A Q&A with Arlo Guthrie, son of the great American troubadour Woody Guthrie. Arlo is now touring the country with his wife and musical brood.

(edited by Larry to remove commercial link)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:02 am

Arlo Fanatic

Brood? No, family.

Why the sales links in your posts?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:38 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I think it's spam. :(