Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Folksinger Spottings » Arlo Articles & Reviews

Post subject: Morning Show Interview
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:27 am

Senior ArloNetizen

It's a phone interview with Arlo (about 10 minutes)
http://www.kink.fm/Arlo-Guthrie/3780457

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:42 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Thats a fine interview Cecile , thank you for posting that . :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:08 pm

Arlo Fanatic

yeah,, Cecile: tx. great interview.

it reminded me of the longevity of the man, the music, the storys. There's allot of great, totally ausome folk singers in the world at large. Call it a twist of fate, maybe coinsodence, but I keep them in aphabetical order. And I don't have to reach far to find my favorite one.

not to sound like a broken L.P. but I'm sure I'm not alone. Certainly could of done much worse. But Arlo's been my mentor ( if that's the correct termenology. ) since 1989..... I don't wanna be anyone other than whom I am. But I do want to walk the talk, of such great ideals, and figure it all out for myself.

Sincerely yours/Rb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:10 pm

Arlo Fanatic

The 'slinger is a practical man and a fair witness having fun working hard. Arlo hit the stride with the ride was all inside.

The concert CDs are very very good. Put 'em in Motu and pick along like live. Without a band to jam with right now, that magic is nourishing. Many thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:16 pm

Arlo Fanatic

What I found of particular intrest was Arlo briefly touching on the fact that the 60's and 70's were sort of a renaissance or awakening with many parts of the cultures of music, art, fashion etc., all being intertwined. Something that has passed it would seem.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:07 pm

ArloNetizen

He's got so many stories to tell, I can't even begin to imagine. Thanks so much for the interview. I really enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:35 am

Arlo Fanatic

It's a phenomenon seen at the expansion of new media. There is a cycle in which all the arts rush toward it, collide and melt together like a Reeses Cup (chocolate AND peanut butter) followed by bifurcations into camps that plant flags and start building walls. That is civilization a la communications. We saw it when telegraphs were invented, when radio and TV came along, with movies, and probably smoke signals.

Then our wives get bored with the walls and we have to knock them down and buy new rugs for our teepees.

What happened then IS happening again and at a much bigger scale with the web. Instead of there being one or two centers scaling out, (eg, San Francisco and London), this time it is world wide. I play Arlo but I record ragas. I get to use images from around the world and across history. My instrumental, Epiphany, is part of a virtual world campus in Western Australia. IrishSpace was built by men and women from all over the world for a small village in SW Ireland (Tralee). I can cite dozens of these from personal experience and more from the experience of others.

In Jon Taplin's blog in the topic Cranky With The Culture, he asked why the millennials wouldn't rise up as we did in our day against the war. He lamented the state of modern music regards social causes. I told him he was looking in the wrong place. Art did react but not music. This time the musicians were being pulled because they had become so corporate in structure and command. They make too much at the top and have too much to lose.

But the commedians got it, ran with it, and got it done. They didn't have as much to lose and they live off the foibles of humanity.

Do you think Arlo Guthrie would have gotten as far as he did if he hadn't mixed funny satire into his prodigious folk? Be honest and think about who he had to compete with vocally and instrumentally in the day. His genius for dark humor that always had a ray of sunshine in it mixed into stories that reflected the times, told the truth but didn't hype fear or incite violence got it done. That is why he is STILL the famous one, the 'slinger adored world wide when so many of his contemporaries are sitting around scratching their bums talking about 'the day'. He could but he has his next gig to get to.

Ever read the transcript of his testimony from the Chicago trial? There were places he would not go to lend a voice if it meant violence. Arlo knows.