Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Tablature » Name (Or Play) That Tune

Forum rules

Before posting here - please check to make sure the song is not in the main Tablature forum. If it is, just add a reply over there.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:34 am

BlunderVirgin

I heard this live at the Kansas City show and i've been trying to figure it out ever since. But, the only recording I can find of it is the studio version on "Last of the Brooklyn Cowboys". It's hard for me to pick out just the guitar with all the other instruments and the current version had a way different sound to it. So, I guess my question is: Strum or finger pick? And is there tabs somewhere so I know what finger picking pattern to use? Or, does any one know if there is a recording of this so I can try and pick it out by ear? It was just such a powerful song with Arlo, Sarah lee, Johnny, and Krishna on guitar's but it's a shot in the dark for me until I can find someone to shine a light in here, lol.

Thanks for your time,
Kourtney ;-)

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:39 am

Arlo Fanatic

Arlo plays it with a high strung tuning on the guitar when I've seen him do it. But as a 35+ year guitar novice, I might not be the best person to answer this! :)

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:13 am

Arlo Fanatic

You might try doing an internet search for the song title and add TAB in the search. I'm pretty sure you'll come up with something.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:46 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Diggin' into a secret stash of Arlo Gold I stole from Rumplestilskin, a few hints:

1. He is playing in the key of D with the E (sixth string) tuned down to D so use drop D forms (eg, when you play a G chord, use the barre form without the barre. Use your third finger on the six for roots and walks).

2. He is using a pick between thumb and index, so not a thumb pick.

3. It's basic boomchucka pattern for flatpickers. The trick is using the sixth D for the bass line and keeping the rhythm.

4. The chords are mainly D G and b-minor.

5. The challenging part is the lead that he does as a chordal lead, meaning, he's mostly playing on the E, B and G strings leaving the others open as resonators. It takes a bit of practice to do this. It's nice and these are moves you'll see in a lot of the better flat picking folk. :?

At the show where he did this, he followed with a very similar pattern (different guitar; the first appears to be a Martinique and the second an Excellent Martin (I could be wrong)) on the next song: "Dead or Alive, It's A Hard Road"? This one is a really good song for a walking bass between the chords keeping rhythm. We all learn a lot emulating Arlo (except maybe not picking up heavy objects before gigs).

If someone wants to transcribe the lyrics, have at. Many thanks to the Folkslinger for the privilege of having this gold in the stash.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:57 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Or go to the not secret stash here for the lyrics...

http://www.arlo.net/resources/lyrics/gypsy-davy.shtml

Most of the tabs I've found on the net are not the same as arlo plays in the version I'm looking at.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:55 am

BlunderVirgin

YES!!! This is it, Thank you so much for taking the time to explain it to me. It sounds great now, so excuse me while I run off with the Gypsy Davy... LOL.

Have a Wonderful Day!

Kourtney :D