Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Tablature » Name (Or Play) That Tune

Forum rules

Before posting here - please check to make sure the song is not in the main Tablature forum. If it is, just add a reply over there.

Post subject: When I get to the Border
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:59 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Watched a movie the other nite. Names of movies I cannot remember, but it's been on showtime...

About a young man, early 20's, escape from the law. on the run. He lives with Hippies, and has a wierd relationship with his hippy parents. He's very determined to live on his own and off the land. Cut to the chase the kid, does'n't believe in eating from conventional grocery stores, and eats all kinds of wild plants, ect. Meats up with an old guy hitch hiking who tries to suggest he lead a more normal life, other than living in an old abandoned trailer, eating plants. One morning he harvest what he thinks is an edible green, only to turn out to be a poisenous plant, and he dies a very slow, and aggonizing death...

At the end of the movie ( terrific soundtrack btw ) the song 'When I Get To the Border played)

Then after the credits, it showed the real guy. Apparently it's a true story...

Always thought Guthrie penned that song. Even tho in the soundtrack it wasn't Arlo singing it, it sure brought back allot of memories....

When I get to the border. Monday Monday ect... Love that song.

Just a lil trivia.... If you know the name of the movie, and I made some misstakes in the retelling. Just post the parts I left out. ntm: was this really a true story???

Kind Regards/RB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:54 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Would that be "Into the Wild"?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:03 pm

Arlo Fanatic

yes. that's the title. anymore info on whether or not it's a true story or fiction?

kind regards/rb :arrow: :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:53 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Hey rbrown,
I was reading your post regarding the movie Into The Wild, yes it is based on a true story about Christopher McCandless, he decided to donate all of his savings to the Oxfam charity (approx, $25,000.00 to Oxfam, after Graduating from College. he then burned his wallet and ceased communication with his family and go and live off the land in Alaska in April of 1992.
He died in August but was not discovered until Sept.
It was directed by Sean Penn and I beleive he received an Academy Award for Director
He ate a wild potatoe root thought to have had a fungus on it. He was 24 yrs old.
I have to admit when I watched this movie I really don't remember the soundtrack, but if Arlo was singing on it I would have definely remembered.
Hope this answers some of your questions.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:13 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Hey rbrown,
me again, I did look up the song you were referring to and what I found was Richard Thompson wrote the lyrics, however in my research I also noticed a site that said, "When I get to the Border" Arlo guthrie lyrics was a link, so Arlo sung the song (not on the soundtrack) but did not write the lyrics.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:28 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I'd never heard of it. But it sounds like an interesting movie...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:44 pm

Arlo Fanatic

tx for the info galaway girl. Yes, some did a nice cover of that song on said flic. It was at the very end of the movie. As previously mentioned, I looked at the credits, and to my surprise Arlo didn't penn the thing. Sadly dissapointed, too, that it wasn't Arlo's version. Arlo seems to put allot of passion when he plays that song. Studio version is nice, but I've heard him do it live once, maybe twice, and it's a really great tune.

I sometimes assume Arlo writes more songs on his L.P.'s ( yes I'm a dinasaur) ntm my spelling is bad. & I play a bad guitar ) than he actually does. I guess Alices Rest. is a great example of where he wrote all the tunes. Then he went, to doing some great covers, we've all learned to love. A nice example is he usually threw in one of his Dad's songs on an album. My personal favorite is off Washington Co. not that I don't love them all. Woody was the master for sure....

In retrospect my favorite Arlo songs, are the ones he wrote himself. But as the linear notes say in 'Son of the Wind'... If a song fits you, it doesn't matter who wrote it. It's your song. No one can take that away... ( very badly paraphrased. My reading glasses I cannot find, unless I have them on )

But I appreciate some feedback on this. Interesting life this man led. I'll never understand why he didn't seek treatment for the poisen he injested. Unless, there was no known cure ,, and he knew it.? In the movie version, he was on the lamb, so maybe death, was a better choice than being identified and being sent to prison.....

But for some wierd reason, in my opinion, sometimes it's easy to relate to the fact. We're all prisoners, in this lifetime, on this earth. Oh some folks have it better than others. Other people are happier than others. But deep down, we're all prisoners. To who? Only God knows.

btw: I'm a wierd dude, and have some strange ideas. ntm" going thru some purty hard times. So my optimism is in the toilet these days. I guess you could say, I read too many John Lennon Bio's and listened to his music, and the man made so much sence. It's like Bobby Dylan is a musician. John was a true prophet, who saw things in a differant light. Lennon might dissagree. But that's my take.

Take it easy - But take it~ WWG

Kind Regards/Rob

Attachments:
snowman in woodstock.jpg
snowman in woodstock.jpg [ 136.23 KiB | Viewed 7282 times ]