Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Tablature » Name (Or Play) That Tune

Forum rules

Before posting here - please check to make sure the song is not in the main Tablature forum. If it is, just add a reply over there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:11 am

Senior ArloNetizen

..my ignorance if this is an old topic.

I'm lookin' for a computer program that will allow me to put those little dots and circles on those five lines that folks read music from. I don't need mixer boards and all that fancy stuff. I've got Magix, and I'm way too dumb to figger it out. I've dug around in Freeware and Shareware and so far crashed and burned.

Anyone know of such a critter??

I was never what you would call an Arlo fan, until late last year when an old memory stirred up "Alice's Restaurant". I downloaded the album with the new version and really liked all the music on the album, esp. "Highway in the Wind." I play harmonica, and I like Arlo's use of harmonica in his songs. Not overbearing, not fancy, just good harp blowin'.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:00 am

ArloNetizen

I can't really help you, but I'd just like to say welcome!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:18 am

Arlo Fanatic

Me neither, but welcome too.

That would be a very nice program if there is one!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:27 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Actually I used to have one many years ago, it was a 3.5 floppy called EZNote, and EZPiano. Now days computers don't even know what a 3.5 floppy is, much less have a port for one.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:42 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I did a quick search and found a couple of sites that might be helpful for you.

www.finalemusic.com/

www.pc-shareware.com/smusic.htm

www.noteworthysoftware.com/

Didn't have time to look at them.
8)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:21 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Finale is good in the middle tier of cost and performanc. I use Sibelius Professional because of the sound libraries but it is Brit software and the Brits have weird ideas about user interface design. The print quality, however, is extraordinary. I use Guitar Pro for entering music because I can do that faster in guitar tab. I export the midi out and pull that into Sibelius and clean up.

Don't buy one of these programs that doesn't have a midi interface, at least import and export. No matter what synth you are using, it will need midi. Also, some of these have the ability to accept midi in which means you can play into a midi instrument such as a keyboard and it will record your performance and then write that out. Be aware that isn't as easy as it sounds because people play imprecisely and the midi recorder does a best guess. For example, if you pass lightly over a key while playing on piano, that is barely heard in the performance but the midi recorder will pick that up and attempt to put it in the score usually by crunching say an eighth note in to a sixteenth and stuffing it in the score. Since it used the velocity of the key to set the volume, you'll barely hear it on playback but it is enough to muddy the sound and of course, it will be wrong on the sheet. For that reason, I write most midi scores in with the keypad and mouse. (I spent four months cleaning my keyboard player's midi recording on "Harbor the Heart" from the second Ground Level Sound album. I was very surprised at the difference afterwards in absolute crispness of the performance without it sounding synthy.)

Don't buy more than you need. There is a cut rate version of Finale used by songwriters for basic chord and lead sheet work that sells for a tenth of what the big packages sell for. I went with Sibelius because I score for choirs and orchestras and need the deeper technology. Some of the packages are designed for marching band directors, choral directors, etc. If you aren't planning for that, basic Finale works pretty well and it has a demo you can download, install and try.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:14 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Welcome to the site! I don't know the info either. I do remember they used to have out some notebooks with music writing lines on them so you could write the notes to music on them. I've done that before but it was so tedious...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:26 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Thanks for the welcomes and replies. Cheryl, looks like the Noteworthy might be for what I'm looking.

If anyone ever finds themselves in Valliant, OK on a Friday night, come on down to Shirley's Diner for a little local jam session. Some of them are pretty good, some make you reach for the earplugs, and then there's me. At least so far no one's thrown food at me though. But we all have fun.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:46 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Pulp, you're not so very far from a few of us (Cliffite and I, Stew, and Bobbie all live in the Dallas area). Do you go to WoodyFest in Okemah in July? We (Cliffite and I, and others) will be there and would love to meet you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:20 am

Arlo Fanatic

Pulp welcome to the site. or should I say outta-sight!!!

I was wondering when len would post.

I'm not techno magician. Altho I do love it. My friends used to put me down, in the early 70's for listening to Todd Rungren so hard core. As he did EVERYTHING...... :idea:

Audious Amigo's

Rb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:23 am

Arlo Fanatic

Btw: Pulp. I'm an avid fan of Todd's myspace ( which his wife maintaines she maintains ) Lynz is a wonderfull woman. Todd's, well Todd. One of the more generous musicians out there. Sound familiar.

Ck out Todd myspace, or Rundgren Radio, if you get bored. Rundgren loves to rehash the past.... & he's been known to answer a valid question or two.... ( just a thought )

rb