Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Tablature » Name (Or Play) That Tune

Forum rules

Before posting here - please check to make sure the song is not in the main Tablature forum. If it is, just add a reply over there.

Post subject: instrumental titles?
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:10 am

Hi Good folk,

I saw Arlo for the first time last night in Adelaide, South Australia. Great set & songs - of which I already knew a bunch but was treated to many new ones too. He played a couple of instrumentals - a Dave Van Ronk ragtime (on guitar) & an Arlo original ragtime (on piano), but I didn't manage to get the titles of these songs...does anyone know?
Also, Arlo's 2nd song for the night was called something like "in the shade of the old apple tree" - is this an Arlo original? If so, is it the correct title.

many thanks,

matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:15 am

Arlo Fanatic

In the Shade of the Old Apple Tree" is a classic from pre-WWI, I think; and Arlo has folk-processed it most delightfully.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:23 am

wow,

thanks for such a speedy reply:)

m

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:57 am

Arlo Fanatic

The Dave Von Ronk-inspired tune (he didn't write it) is St. Louis Tickle, and the other ragtime tune (piano) is an Arlo original, and last time I asked him, he hadn't named it yet...if he's named it in the meantime, I don't know.

Post subject: Re: instrumental titles?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:24 am

Hi all. My first post here.

Since I'm not all that shy anymore, I'll just jump right to it. I was at the Melrose show in the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hall* last night. That Rag that Arlo plays is awesome. There's so much going on in it. I feels like about six parts, so it sure would be fitting to to remember the Massacre...maybe "Massacre Ragg" would be a good name for it.

* I love that Hall, the accoustics are fabulous. I hope Abe and Arlo got a chance to play the pipe organ there. It's really a fine instrument...a tad worn, but awesome in the right hands.

And, a great big thank you for Arlo's kind words and sentiments regarding the brave souls the Hall was built to memorialize. Melrose really appreciated his remarks!

Rob

Post subject: Re: instrumental titles?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:59 am

Arlo Fanatic

Welcome to the site! I'd love to see Arlo play a pipe organ. I bet he'd do good at it... :)