Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post subject: Happy Merry Everything!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:51 am

The Folkslinger

It's snowing off and on here. In other words, it's getting to be that of year again. Marti and I are still holed up at the farm like we have been since June. And as the weather closes in I'm remembering what it was like before the years we'd head south. There's things I miss about being on the river in Sebastian, FL. The warm breezes, the creatures in or around the water, the palm trees, and mostly the friendly folks I've come to know. But, there's things I also love about being in the hills, on the mountain, near the little towns and villages that have been home since the late 1960s.

The accounts on the news paint a dire picture of the season, with more and more people having to deal with the raging pandemic, filled hospitals, and losing loved ones. That's pretty much true everywhere. So for now, we're staying where we are, snow and all. It's a good time to communicate online via the internet, although we've had some problems with that too. Like most everyone I know, we're making the best of it. Although for many friends, the best of it isn't saying much.

That being said, it is that time of year - the holidays - when we remember what hopes and dreams are made of. I am remaining hopeful, but vigilant. I remember the story I used to tell onstage about meeting my old and dear friend, who was also a distant cousin - Hoyt Axton. He had a look in his eyes that said he wasn't looking for trouble, but wasn't necessarily trying to avoid it either. I'm feeling a little like that myself these days. It's going to take some hope but also some vigilance to get through the holidays, and beyond the new year.

It'll take some good old fashioned good will among people of all persuasions political, and otherwise. That's what the holiday songs and stories are in some ways about. Good will. That means you go out of your way to be friendly, even if you don't particularly feel that way.

I love the holidays, the smiling faces of little kids. It makes me want to go and and play in the snow. And this year I may get to actually do that for the first time in a very long time. So, despite the struggles, the calamities, the craziness and the trepidation I'm looking ahead to better days for everyone.

Happy Merry Everything to all...

adg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:27 pm

Site Admin

Hey everyone and Merry Everything!!! I wondered how much snow adg had seen when he posted his porch pics.Here to the north of the Berks. we had our first taste several weeks back that didn't really last but my view has mostly been white for a week now.Like many my opinion of that has been different from when i skiied and played in it decades ago.This year my thoughts were kinda like spring rains and hoping it is a cleansing in 2020 and with the snow's help and the holidays approaching and the news of vaccines being close people can change their mindset and look ahead to when when we are out of the Pandemic.Hang in there friends and take care of your loved ones and friends and neighbors.2021 is just around the corner and better days are near!! Happy Holidays to the Guthrie clan and all the Blunderites.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:16 am

The Folkslinger

We had a little snow over the last couple of days, but nothing much. Certainly is cold enough for it, although most of it seemed to skip by us to the west and headed up toward you. Hahahaha.... We had a little earlier in November too that was good for a couple of days, but again, nothing like winter. I hope it comes tho. If it doesn't snow on Xmas how is Santa gonna use his sleigh - The old Gene Autry tune comes to mind.. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:17 pm

Site Admin

The temps in Nov.were up and down here hitting double digits after being down to below freezing.Now getting a warm blast and have been watching the snow disappear this morning.glad we have not got the snow the west coast has seen.There is one ski area open not far from here though.In my parts there is usually enough snow for Santa's sleigh by Christmas eve.Some years though it is late and it arrives on the 24th I dunno maybe some magic?!?!..Keep the fire burning and stay safe and warm!!
Speaking of snow and Christmas ....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrNcD34KFhM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:43 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Thanks you two for your kind posts.

(Listen at me referring to you guys as “you two”) :)

Anyhow, It’s like, sometimes when I see people, some people with there kids, everyone wearing masks (including me), and I still see their faces, and I look at them, and I am not incredibly outgoing (although sometimes I surprise myself), but occasionally I find myself wishing I could hug them (DON’T WORRY, I KNOW NO ONE WANTS A HUG FROM SOME RANDOM PERSON ESPECIALLY NOW AND I HAVE NO INTENTIONS OF ACTUALLY DOING IT), but it’s like I wish I could give the world a hug sometimes. So I keep my distance and wave. Energetically a wave and a hug can be so similar. Like when someone rides by on their bike and says, “Hi neighbour” and I have no idea who they are.

Don’t get me wrong, there are things I could chronicle and light on fire.

Much healing is needed.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:25 am

BlunderVirgin

Hey, great to be here! I should have done this years ago...better late than never.
I hope everyone is having a great December. It's getting pretty dark and chilly here in Canada. And I'm missing live music, big time. Missing playing live, and missing good concerts. But can you imagine the parties we're going to have once this thing gets sorted out?? My dad used to say "always keep your head up", and even though he was talking about hockey, it's about as good as it gets for life advice too. Good things ahead for all of us if we want it. Keepin' my head up.
ADG I hope you're well after everything going on in your life this year. I understand you won't be hitting the road once it's all over, but whatever happens next I bet will be awesome nonetheless.
Hope everyone has a great rest of the year! Looking forward to chatting a bit here.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:27 am

The Folkslinger

Don't know what part of the great white north you're in, but if it's on the east side you're in for a good one. The snow is coming! It was sorta here a little - hardly worth mentioning. It's better up north where you can at least play in it. Welcome to our secret website

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:17 am

Site Admin

Gee,thanks adg :roll: .It's here but so far a mix with drizzle,not cold enough to stay once it hits the ground.Where I am at makes all the difference for me,in the city not so much a lover of snow.Even with all the work involved with getting and cutting wood and keeping the fire going the woods is the place i would rather be !!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:07 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Well, we got a lot of rain yesterday. Which was fine.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:10 pm

Arlo Fanatic

By the way, is that a tree goat?

It probably isn’t.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:08 pm

Site Admin

I don't know either but you made me think I would hate to see one of those get mixed up with a fainting goat!!

agnes wrote:

It probably isn’t.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:21 pm

Site Admin

Gidday eh !! and welcome.I see we missed each other in Blunderchat.It was good of ya to feed the Giant Clam though poor thing rarely gets to eat.In days gone by Blat could be a busy place,especially around the holidays.Who knows maybe we can get something going onr night before Christmas.

borriffick wrote:
Hey, great to be here! I should have done this years ago...better late than never.
I hope everyone is having a great December. It's getting pretty dark and chilly here in Canada. And I'm missing live music, big time. Missing playing live, and missing good concerts. But can you imagine the parties we're going to have once this thing gets sorted out?? My dad used to say "always keep your head up", and even though he was talking about hockey, it's about as good as it gets for life advice too. Good things ahead for all of us if we want it. Keepin' my head up.
ADG I hope you're well after everything going on in your life this year. I understand you won't be hitting the road once it's all over, but whatever happens next I bet will be awesome nonetheless.
Hope everyone has a great rest of the year! Looking forward to chatting a bit here.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:52 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I love those ones too!

But fear not, these ones are as graceful as Peter Pan in the trees

sparkydon wrote:
I don't know either but you made me think I would hate to see one of those get mixed up with a fainting goat!!

agnes wrote:

It probably isn’t.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:18 pm

BlunderVirgin

adg wrote:
Don't know what part of the great white north you're in, but if it's on the east side you're in for a good one. The snow is coming! It was sorta here a little - hardly worth mentioning. It's better up north where you can at least play in it. Welcome to our secret website

Thanks! I'm glad to be here!
I'm an hour northeast of Toronto...we're fine here for now. My cousin in Nova Scotia is getting absolutely pasted there by the storm you're talking about. Winter in Canada.
Is there really a little chat on Fridays here? I logged in last night, sparkydon was in and out before I could say hi though. That would be fun. It might be nice to chat with y'all. I'll make it a point to be on this Friday and see if anyone is around.

agnes wrote:

It probably isn’t.

Honestly, I don't have a clue what kind of goat he is. But I'm absolutely sure he ate my jeans off the clothesline last week (again). He's been poopin out blue pellets all over the yard. :|

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:30 am

Site Admin

Nice neck of the woods to be in.But lots of nice lakes and bush between here and there too,And you are not too far off from Havelock where I saw Arlo a number of years back with another blunderite.
As I mentioned blunderchat is not used as much as it used to be and we used to have a annual get together..Some years the folkslinger would stop by.Who knows maybe some folks may be interested this year in a get together with the new and a reunion of some of the ole.