Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post subject: Corona Corona 2020
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:47 am

The Folkslinger

It looks like 2020 is shaping up to look like a year that will remembered for a long time. Things change and pivotal moments make a difference as to how we mark one time from another. It ain't like it used to be, that's for sure. Marti and I went to our local pizza joint yesterday as we have for years, but for the first time we didn't go in and sit at our favorite table - We took it home. The place was empty and the streets were mostly vacant. Welcome to the year 2020 in the way it'll be remembered.

In a few weeks millions of people will begin their annual migration from the warmer southern regions to their homes in the colder climates. Recently friends who have made the journey said there was very little if anything to eat along the way. Like some post apocalyptic movie traveling is now more difficult. Trains, planes and buses are problematic. With fewer options for travel, most will have to drive.

That said, many friends are beginning to make the adjustments needed to get through. And we're having to do the same thing. You can expect more online services, more groceries and goods delivered to your homes than previously imagined. We're figuring out ways to get our kind of music and concerts easily available to almost household in the world. Already friends and peers have begun broadcasting from their living rooms to yours. Technology makes it possible.

Our immediate plans for doing that kind of broadcasting includes using the church for events that can be seen anywhere, anytime. Most of the scheduled musical events at the church this coming summer will go on as planned, but we may have to switch from a live audience within the building to an audience at home. This kind of change takes time, gear, knowledge and all kinds of stuff we didn't have to think about before. And of course it all depends on how the nation can deal with the coronavirus crises. There's nothing better than being before or in a live audience - As long as it's safe to do so.

Meanwhile, we're preparing to invade your homes, via TV, WiFi and other means. We'd like to remain some small part of everyday life for people who enjoy what we do, and who take some comfort knowing that the kinds of things we've done for the last 50+ years will continue to make the world a little closer, a little better and a little more fun for everyone.

adg

Post subject: Re: Corona Corona 2020
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:00 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Love looking forward to the creativity folks want to share.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:28 am

The Folkslinger

agnes wrote:

I can't wait to get back to the Berkshires and begin working on this. Meanwhile, we're camped out, holed up, and keeping our distance from everything. still, I get out and am able to take pix in the mornings hoping to get a little magic from time to time. Oh - And coffee. That seems to help. Hahahaha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:19 pm

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:
agnes wrote:

I can't wait to get back to the Berkshires and begin working on this. Meanwhile, we're camped out, holed up, and keeping our distance from everything. still, I get out and am able to take pix in the mornings hoping to get a little magic from time to time. Oh - And coffee. That seems to help. Hahahaha

That is the idea :)

Actually, you just reminded me, it may have been a couple of weeks ago?

There was a cloud burst, and then a sun burst, and so I ran out to see and saw a rainbow right there!

<3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:20 am

ArloNetizen

Sounds like you're adjusting very well Arlo.
I've been wondering how you been doing.
Please be safe and be very well!
Carol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:18 pm

The Folkslinger

Yeah, we're adjusting to the circumstances. It's, like I said, a little nuts. Given the alternative a little nuts is okay. Making the best of it is about all anyone can do.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:42 pm

ArloNetizen

So glad to hear you are doing fine. Can’t wait to hear the concerts from the Church. It would be great to have a bit of you daily. Hope all you and your family are well. I keep going to work but am looking forward to retiring in June and moving to Texas. It will be a great adventure as I have never lived anywhere but California. I can’t afford to live here in retirement. I have many friends and relatives in Texas. I love the adventure and who know how long my daughter and I will live there.
We went to Costco today and had to stand in line 6 ft apart for about 30+ minutes before being able to shop. They had what we needed. It seems no one was trying to hoard toilet paper. That blows my mind. The grocery store aisles were very empty. Limited stock. But we did get what we wanted. So no worries.
Is the house through escrow yet? Or, is it being held up do to low staffing in the offices? Well good luck.
Virtual hugs sent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:28 pm

The Folkslinger

We're about most of the way done... There's a walk thru scheduled soon so the quirks and little things unique to this place can be passed along. We're packing up, getting ready to move in about 4 weeks. Pretty exciting. No hold ups yet. You'll enjoy Texas. One of my daughters is in Austin and she loves it. Good food there too. Texas seems to be getting better all the time... :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:43 pm

ArloNetizen

adg wrote:
We're about most of the way done... There's a walk thru scheduled soon so the quirks and little things unique to this place can be passed along. We're packing up, getting ready to move in about 4 weeks. Pretty exciting. No hold ups yet. You'll enjoy Texas. One of my daughters is in Austin and she loves it. Good food there too. Texas seems to be getting better all the time... :)

Yes, I think I will enjoy it. My daughter is moving with me and she is looking forward to it also. Hasn’t Sarah Lee been hanging out in Austin recording? I thought she mentioned something about that recently. Well we go up there for a visit. I was truly amazed at the size of the mansions in Houston in the Galleria area. I was also amazed at how green and how many trees there were. Standing in our hotel on the 22nd floor showed me how flat Houston is though. They have a great ballet company I. Houston so I look forward to seeing them. Anyway thank you. Talk to you soon darlin man.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:55 am

The Folkslinger

Sarah Lee has been visiting with her sister, Cathy recently (although she's in CA at the moment). She's planning to be back at the farm this summer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:07 am

ArloNetizen

adg wrote:
Sarah Lee has been visiting with her sister, Cathy recently (although she's in CA at the moment). She's planning to be back at the farm this summer.
That's great. You all hang in there!
Carol

Sent from my Z557BL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:58 pm

ArloNetizen

adg wrote:

So nice too have family to visit. I’ve been seeing Sarah Lees posts and they are lovely. Seems she’s picked up a lot of you. Thoughts and photos. You have quite the legacy sir. Your children are all a bit like you. You should be proud. They are all talented folks and seems so are many of the grandkiddies. Talk to you later.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:00 pm

The Folkslinger

It's been over 5 weeks since I retuned home in Florida from some gigs we were doing before the viral madness changed all that. We've been basically hunkered down except for the occasional take-out pizza. And it's been stupidly hot and humid. Normally at this time of year we'd be in the middle of our west coast run, but that all got cancelled pretty early. We're got plans in place to reschedule everything but even that's pretty iffy. Updates for our rescheduled gigs are elsewhere on this website - They're all saying 'tentative' because of the fluid situation. Some are outright cancelled. Everyone is pretty much in the same boat. Nothing to do can make it seem like you're doing nothing. But, even if we're just giving the hospitals, and caregivers a light at the end of the tunnel by not flooding them with more of us, we're actually doing something important. It's true all over the world.

Today Marti and I began filming my participation in what will eventually be a video to help raise some money for the church. It's a big project destined for an internet connection near you. Naturally, it's crazy to do these kinds of things with everyone involved working from their homes. I'll let everyone here know when to look for it - A couple of weeks from now.

Meanwhile, like I said it's stupidly hot and humid. Time to finish up this coffee and pour a real drink of something cold. It's supposed to rain soon. Maybe that'll help. Wherever you are, and whatever is going on in your world, take care. Be cautious, stay safe, and remember to smile from time to time. There's a new world getting born here, and we've been waiting for it for a long time. It'll be better than the one we all knew.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:59 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Hi Arlo!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:19 am

The Folkslinger

agnes wrote:
Hi Arlo!

Howdy! Still here... still holed up. Probably the longest vacation I ever had.