Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:49 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Arlo, any chance you are coming back to Iowa City before the tour is over? I would sure love to see you one more time and my son, too. <3 <3 <3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:15 pm

The Folkslinger

Nothing yet. But if it comes up it’ll be posted here in the schedule

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:34 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

adg wrote:
Nothing yet. But if it comes up it’ll be posted here in the schedule

Awww, thanks, Arlo! <3 If I recall correctly, you said before about other venues, it depends on the venue and what they want or who they want to attract or have perform, more than what you or your people want. Something like that? I will sure be keeping my fingers crossed. In fact, maybe I will write to The Englert Theater, myself, and just drop a kind and friendly hint. Maybe they'll take it.

Until then, have a very Happy Thanksgiving. :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:03 am

The Folkslinger

Yeah that’s basically how it works. We offer all venues a time frame, and if schedules align, routing works, and conditions are agreed to, we show up and do our thing. A lot of things have to fall into place to make a gig happen. Sometimes we have to choose between events but that’s rare. More likely it just has to work to everyone’s satisfaction.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:06 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Hi Arlo!
You were up early, no doubt watching sunrise. It's the most lovely time of the day for me. I am constantly photographing the ever changing sunrises, here in Iowa, too.

So, ironically, after the message from here came through, that there was a message in here, I also had an email from The Englert, right afterwards. Needless to say, I just sent them a very nice email and told them that Folk Uke would also be playing as well.

I'm keeping fingers and toes crossed and so is my son. We hope to see you, here, one more time.

All the best to you and yours,

Dragonfly (Kathie)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:25 pm

BlunderVirgin

Just went to the Carnegie Hall Concert last night...

It was awesome, as every Guthrie-related event I've attended it.

While I've been listening to Arlo since the first time I heard "Alice's Restaurant", and taught myself to play "Coming In To Los Angeles" after seeing the Woodstock film (I was in Junior High School), I never saw him perform until I was in High School, and Arlo and Pete Seeger performed at the Saratoga Performing Art Center, in Saratoga Springs NY. (I remember laughing at the story of Alice's Restaurant, and how Richard Nixon Saved The Nation!).

I'm a little embarrassed, as I wasn't that far from Caffe Lena, went to high school with Joe & Jackie Alper's son George, and only made it to Lena's a couple of times... No car, no license, few friends who really liked folk music.

But now, anytime Arlo is going to be in the Schenectady/Albany/Troy/Saratoga area, I'm there. Either theater at The Egg, Troy Savings Bank Music Hall...

I only live about 100 miles from the Guthrie Center, and still haven't made it there, even though my wife and I are members.

But for the past several years, we've been saying we need to go to Carnegie Hall one of these years, for Arlo's Annual Concert. When I found out this was the last one, I bought tickets that day.

It was a blast. Lots of great conversations with people, talking about the Arlo Swag we'd acquired (I saw one other person with the 50th Anniversary Embroidered jacket - the only Tour Jacket I've ever purchased.

When we were in the Weiss Lounge before the show, I noticed two very attractive women about 5-6 feet away from me, laughing and taking selfies, and I almost went over to them, because they looked like Annie and Cathy Guthrie... but, what would they be doing in the lounge before the show? Wouldn't they be backstage?

When I saw them on stage, I realized I'd just lost the only opportunity I would probably ever have to meet them. (crowd-funding supports don't count....)

But I'm kinda rambling, aren't I? This is about the Carnegie Hall Concert, on November 30, 2019. I loved it, I'm glad I went, I wish I'd been going all these years...

I only had two complaints - Arlo introduced the people on stage when Sarah Le came out, but never introduced the entire group at the end, and every time someone tried to take a photo of the people on stage, the Carnegie Ushers immediately swooped down and told them not to... So I never took the camera out, and I'd have love to have taken a shot of the entire group on that stage.

Anyway, thank you for the music, thank you for the positive attitude, and thank you for keeping the tradition alive. (And I love that Pegasus Uke!)

-Kurt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:50 pm

BlunderVirgin

Hi All!

Brand new here, but long time fan!

Wanted to thank Arlo for a Great time at Carnegie Hall... Took me this long to figure out how to sign up here.

Any how, here's a brief synopsis of my story which I'll try to keep under 18 minutes.

1987 Thanksgiving season, 4 sons ages 16 to 25, with their parents, pile into the oldest boy's 1972 Chrysler Newport (which I'm sure many will recall would comfortably seat six). They depart northern NJ, cross the George Washington Bridge and head south thru Manhattan to Carnegie Hall. Park on the street and go inside to enjoy one of their most memorable nights together as a family.
Fast forward 32 years, Dad has passed on, Mom has continued both with dad and on her own after his passing to see Arlo near her home in CT whenever she can. The oldest son tells the youngest son of the upcoming show but they missed out on tickets... The youngest's wife somehow sees more tickets go on sale and snatches up 5 - one for each boy and Mom. Sadly the 2 middle sons cannot make the show. So just the 3 of us made the 3+ hour drive from my town, where Mom now lives (In the oldest son's 2017 Doge minivan, times change). This time the boys are a bit better off, so we dine next door at The Russian Tea Room (a great place to go if yer not pickin up the check) and make it to our seats (near the ceiling), just as Arlo takes the stage....

The rest I'm sure I need not describe here, suffice it to say we had a thanksgiving show that couldn't be beat.

One more thing/question...
On that long drive down we were able to entertain ourselves with a recording of the 1987 show, not a great recording, but a recording none the less.... Don't know where it came from, maybe I found it under a pile of garbage at the bottom if a cliff....

Mom especially was hoping that this being the 50th and final thanksgiving show at Carnegie Hall there might be some plan to release it?

Arlo?

From what I saw of the ushers shutting down phones... they got my little bro to turn his off, I doubt there were any nefarious tapers and I don't do that sort of thing... anymore.

I do see that there's a "live shows" link and I'll look into that, if there's interest in the not so good recording from 1987 maybe I can figure out how it works and give back a bit.

Again Arlo Thank You

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:42 pm

The Folkslinger

Yeah Carnegie Hall is notoriously strict about recording in their venue. We made an archival recording but nothing that came be released. You just had to be there. I was thrilled to be able to make it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:21 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Yeah that happens a lot. There is a lot that I didn’t capture in a photo, although there is value in preservations like that of a thing, obviously, and I am grateful for when it is there. But just being in a place at a time,,,,I count the times that I am so happy about that.

Listening to the recording you (MoonMullens) had from 1987 going into 2019 Carnegie, I imagine was pretty nice.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:09 pm

BlunderVirgin

Thanks Arlo, for gettin back

Really glad I was there to see and hear it, both times, in both centuries... with some of the people I love. Who'd've thought I'd ever be able to say That!

Yes Agnes - it was pretty special. Mom and my little bro had listened to the Alice's Restaurant Album that morning and while we listened on the way to the show he commented that provided Arlo played it that night they'd have heard it 3 time in one day.... Not proud, not tired, not complaining...

For Mom especially the whole day was a great early birthday present!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:02 am

The Folkslinger

It’s really nice to be back on the river!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:59 am

Senior ArloNetizen

So beautiful and peaceful!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:59 pm

ArloNetizen

Lovely picture. I was wondering what you were up to. Taking some time off from blog? Resting from a long year of touring? And privately saying a goodbye to your last tour and Carnegie Hall. Hope you are resting and having a lovely holiday season. Hope to hear from you in the near future.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:14 pm

The Folkslinger

leenski wrote:
Lovely picture. I was wondering what you were up to. Taking some time off from blog? Resting from a long year of touring? And privately saying a goodbye to your last tour and Carnegie Hall. Hope you are resting and having a lovely holiday season. Hope to hear from you in the near future.

I was out of commission for a couple of weeks, but all's well. We are changing up our upcoming tour(s), Steve & Carol Ide, and Sarah Lee (my youngest daughter) are going off to do their own things so the last shows were a little tough on everyone - We've been working together a long time. Always hard to say goodbye. But, it's what we do.

We've simplified the upcoming gigs - no big band, no video walls or big light shows etc. I'm also looking forward to working with my oldest daughter, Cathy and her partner in crime, Amy Nelson - Together known as "Folk Uke." They're really fun, and I'm hoping our audience will appreciate their humor.

But, all that begins in February so meanwhile I get some down time to get healthy, rested, and maybe a few photos. It's been nicer here on the river in Florida than a lot of places we know. I love being here even if it's just for a little while out of the year. I'll post some more pix as they come along.

Happy Merry Everything!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:52 am

ArloNetizen

adg wrote:
leenski wrote:

I was out of commission for a couple of weeks, but all's well. We are changing up our upcoming tour(s), Steve & Carol Ide, and Sarah Lee (my youngest daughter) are going off to do their own things so the last shows were a little tough on everyone - We've been working together a long time. Always hard to say goodbye. But, it's what we do.

We've simplified the upcoming gigs - no big band, no video walls or big light shows etc. I'm also looking forward to working with my oldest daughter, Cathy and her partner in crime, Amy Nelson - Together known as "Folk Uke." They're really fun, and I'm hoping our audience will appreciate their humor.

But, all that begins in February so meanwhile I get some down time to get healthy, rested, and maybe a few photos. It's been nicer here on the river in Florida than a lot of places we know. I love being here even if it's just for a little while out of the year. I'll post some more pix as they come along.

Happy Merry Everything!

Thanks for the reply Arlo. I kind of figured that’s where you had been. I saw Sarah Lee’s post on FB/Instagram about learning to let go.
I’ve seen some Utube of Cathy and Amy. They are hilarious and I am hoping to see you in San Francisco with them.
Well rest up, soak up the sunshine and take some beautiful pictures.
And, Happy Merry Everything to you too.