Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post subject: Re: WELCOME TO 2019
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:57 am

Senior ArloNetizen

adg wrote:
cecile wrote:
[quote adg]My father told me that music was the best friend I'd ever have, and he was right. I enjoy just being by myself and playing whatever comes to mind, drifting from one thought to the next just to see what it sounds like. I still discover new things that way. It's not a performance, it's being accompanied by a friend.

[quote leenski]I love music,......Music is always with us it’s the sounds of the world. So yes I am enjoying learning.

Music is fantastic. I love it too. I've been learning how to play the guitar and the banjo by myself ( with vidéos ) for several years but I'm still a beginner. I like playing (or trying to play) at home just for me . However it's important to be able to have people to tell you if it's right or not and for advice. Last year I went to a bluegrass workshop, I learned a lot by sharing with other people. It was very interesting to learn how to play in a group because at home I tend to play just the melody, especially with the banjo.[/quote]

Not a lot of people even have a banjo in the house! So you're ahead of the game already. Learning from videos is something I never tried, they didn't have 'em when I was learning, so I hope it works for you. I had my banjo out on the last tour for just one song, and it was so fun to play again. There's a lot of different styles someone could learn on the banjo - very different and distinctive - Generally the differences are in the right hand - picking styles. Good luck trying to figure out that stuff![/quote]

Thank you. :)
At first I also learned with a DVD (the only one in french) and then it was on the internet. I only learn to play bluegrass style, I think that clawhammer is more difficult .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:50 pm

The Folkslinger

Bluegrass style typically uses16 notes to a measure in 4/4 time. It’s a repeated pattern so there’s really 8 notes to learn. The different bluegrass styles differ only by which finger begins the pattern on what string (note). Typically the 5th string is played twice in the pattern, on the 5th and on the 8th notes. The pattern can change according to chord or melody being emphasized. I loved Doug Dillard’s way of playing, which is an offshoot of Earl Scruggs. Then Bill Keith took it to a whole ‘nother place which emphasizes melody as opposed to rhythm. All the while keeping the rhythm patterns in place. If you haven’t already done so, try to find videos of those two guys. They’re both awesome pickers. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:26 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

g.
adg wrote:
Bluegrass style typically uses16 notes to a measure in 4/4 time. It’s a repeated pattern so there’s really 8 notes to learn. The different bluegrass styles differ only by which finger begins the pattern on what string (note). Typically the 5th string is played twice in the pattern, on the 5th and on the 8th notes. The pattern can change according to chord or melody being emphasized. I loved Doug Dillard’s way of playing, which is an offshoot of Earl Scruggs. Then Bill Keith took it to a whole ‘nother place which emphasizes melody as opposed to rhythm. All the while keeping the rhythm patterns in place. If you haven’t already done so, try to find videos of those two guys. They’re both awesome pickers. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Thanks for this explanation about bluegrass style. I had already seen several bluegrass videos but I had never really noticed the different styles and ways of playing . Doug Dillard and Bill Keith were amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:45 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Cecile!!!

Oops, I said it again :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:47 pm

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:
[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

This is a funny generated interpretation of a smiley emoticon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:58 pm

ArloNetizen

There is a new super moon coming February 19th Arlo. Maybe you can get some pics and help a moon child out. Time to get a moon tan if it wasn’t so cold out, no tan lines now. Lol
By the way I sent you a note on IM in FB.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:03 am

Senior ArloNetizen

agnes wrote:
Cecile!!!

Hello Agnes! :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:33 pm

The Folkslinger

We’ll be in Houston during the full super moon so not expecting much of a view, let alone pix. All depends on where they’re putting us. I knew enuff to leave my big lens at home for this trek. Not much use for it out here. Hopefully other people will capture it wherever they are. I keep a few other lenses that come in handy with me on the road.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:42 pm

Arlo Fanatic

cecile wrote:
agnes wrote:
Cecile!!!

Hello Agnes! :)

Hello Cecile! :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:12 am

ArloNetizen

adg wrote:
We’ll be in Houston during the full super moon so not expecting much of a view, let alone pix. All depends on where they’re putting us. I knew enuff to leave my big lens at home for this trek. Not much use for it out here. Hopefully other people will capture it wherever they are. I keep a few other lenses that come in handy with me on the road.

Well I hope we can see it. Last time for the wolf moon I was too ill with a cold to go out searching for a spot to view the wolf moon. I’m more acclimated to the new ER so staying well now. Gonna try to get my daughter to use her new canon DSLR. We will see. I’ll let you know. Carry on my friend.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:21 pm

ArloNetizen

I can’t figure out how to respond to your most recent chat about New Orleans and the trek to Texas. I always read your chats. Love them and the pics. Have a great ride darlin. I’m one of the dozen. Lol