Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post subject: WELCOME TO 2019
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:33 am

The Folkslinger

Well, we made it. This far at least. A few hours into the new year, a couple of cups of coffee and I'm ready to see what happens. We celebrated the coming year last night with a glass of champagne, but fell asleep long before midnight when we crossed over the time bridge.

I was up early this morning - too early. But awaited the sunrise - the usual stuff. I had a camera in hand and took a few pix to see if the otherwise normal looking twilight would look any better thru the glass. It didn't. It was a normal morning in that regard.

Naturally, I got a lot of emails, text messages, and phone calls as the evening progressed. I'll get to some of them today. But, today is mostly just a day to celebrate being normal and average (as much as is reasonable). I remember sitting with my friend, teacher and guru, Ma Jaya Sati Bhagavati - it was years ago, and the times seemed to be in some sort of upheaval. A lot was going on. And she said "I just would love to have an ordinary average day."

So, here we are. There's a lot going on. I try to keep up with it. But, having said that, I'm hoping and praying for a normal ordinary average year ahead. One where we can relax with friends and family, and enjoy ourselves and the world around us. Many have sacrificed a lot over the years and centuries, so that someone somewhere could just enjoy the days and years we have together. With that in mind - Happy New Year to all.

Post subject: Re: WELCOME TO 2019
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:08 pm

ArloNetizen

Yes we did. Happy New Year to you and yours. May you have a gentle loving year with much happiness and joy. Oh and a fabulous touring year with plenty of restful days in between for mind regeneration. Blessings sent to you.
I also look forward to your mystical pleasing photos. Keep them up please. They give us a peek into your personal world. Your view of the world. They can transport the rest of us from our daily grind. We all must remember to live between the lines.
Thank you for being you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:58 pm

Arlo Fanatic

happy new year!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:34 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Happy New Year!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:17 am

The Folkslinger

cecile wrote:
Happy New Year!

I began this day, January 2nd, as usual. A cup of coffee, a couple of cameras, and a lingering twilight over the river. Our New Year celebrations are over, and now we’re settling in for the ride. I stood outside looking at the night sky, stars and a crescent moon lit the waters below. Everything shimmering with possibilities. I hope it’s a good year.

There are these little tiny dogs on my neighbors dock that bark whenever dolphins come by. They’re at it now. Breakfast is on - for them. I’m still working on the coffee. But, now I’m curious.

The sunlight is so brilliant reflecting on the water I can’t actually see much. But, I did catch a glimpse of a dolphin swimming by. The dogs are on it as usual. These dolphins are making their rounds in this part of the lagoon. Usually they are small family groups, maybe up to about five individuals. The larger group congregates near the inlet bridge about a half mile away directly over the water from here. I don’t think they celebrate new years like we do.

I was speaking with a friend yesterday about how different traditions decide when the new year begins. After all, it’s mostly a way of organizing seasons so that they make sense. Most people agree that if there is an actual new year, it happens when the sun ends its southern most cycle and the days begin to get longer - of course that’s for those of us living in the northern part of the globe. Everyone seems to be off by a few days or weeks, except maybe the old Druids and others who know and celebrate when that actually happens. I’m with them when it comes to this stuff. I like their outfits too. I like the solstice.

Okay the dogs have quit barking, the coffee is getting cold, the day is upon us. Time to get dressed, get motivated, and get stuff done.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:42 am

ArloNetizen

adg wrote:
cecile wrote:
Happy New Year!

I began this day, January 2nd, as usual. A cup of coffee, a couple of cameras, and a lingering twilight over the river. Our New Year celebrations are over, and now we’re settling in for the ride. I stood outside looking at the night sky, stars and a crescent moon lit the waters below. Everything shimmering with possibilities. I hope it’s a good year.

There are these little tiny dogs on my neighbors dock that bark whenever dolphins come by. They’re at it now. Breakfast is on - for them. I’m still working on the coffee. But, now I’m curious.

The sunlight is so brilliant reflecting on the water I can’t actually see much. But, I did catch a glimpse of a dolphin swimming by. The dogs are on it as usual. These dolphins are making their rounds in this part of the lagoon. Usually they are small family groups, maybe up to about five individuals. The larger group congregates near the inlet bridge about a half mile away directly over the water from here. I don’t think they celebrate new years like we do.

I was speaking with a friend yesterday about how different traditions decide when the new year begins. After all, it’s mostly a way of organizing seasons so that they make sense. Most people agree that if there is an actual new year, it happens when the sun ends its southern most cycle and the days begin to get longer - of course that’s for those of us living in the northern part of the globe. Everyone seems to be off by a few days or weeks, except maybe the old Druids and others who know and celebrate when that actually happens. I’m with them when it comes to this stuff. I like their outfits too. I like the solstice.

Okay the dogs have quit barking, the coffee is getting cold, the day is upon us. Time to get dressed, get motivated, and get stuff done.

Have a fabulous day Arlo. The solstice is a wonderful renewing time. I love it. The sun is wonderful but I prefer the moon. You take pics of the moon does it speak to you?
I’m afraid with the way this country is going right now we may continue to be in for a bumpy ride. Maybe there will be an uprising, a march or something that shows people care. I’m an RN and have worked in healthcare for 41 years and the ER for the last 31. I have been saying that we have gotten so far from what the government and the healthcare were set up for that both systems are going to blow up and we will have to re-organize. Hopefully it will be better when it happens.

Well my dear have a wonderful day, enjoy your remaining time off the road. Will be seeing you soon in Santa. Rosa.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:03 pm

The Folkslinger

I'm not sure the moon speaks to me, or if it does we're having a difficult time translating each other. But, being a moon child, there's a kinship there. I find it fascinating to be able to get close in photographs. And I've been taking a lot of pix in the moonlight lately, but still working on mastering the style. Mostly pix I can't generally share. But, I'm getting the hang of it. Do anything long enuff, and ya can't help but get better at it. That's my theory anyway. I love being in the moonlight! Especially on the river, or near water. Some magic there I love.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:08 am

ArloNetizen

adg wrote:
I'm not sure the moon speaks to me, or if it does we're having a difficult time translating each other. But, being a moon child, there's a kinship there. I find it fascinating to be able to get close in photographs. And I've been taking a lot of pix in the moonlight lately, but still working on mastering the style. Mostly pix I can't generally share. But, I'm getting the hang of it. Do anything long enuff, and ya can't help but get better at it. That's my theory anyway. I love being in the moonlight! Especially on the river, or near water. Some magic there I love.

I totally agree, oh that moon speaks to us, draws us in. I have an infinity for the water also. My Mom always said the first time she took me to the beach (I was three) I ran straight toward the waves, arms outstretched yelling ‘My ocean my ocean’. I love the water and the moonlight over it brings something very special. It’s our sign as my birthday is June 25th. Unfortunately for me where I live it is hard to see the moon due to many factors. I like your close up pics, very detailed, but I truly love the pics you take with a distance of the moon. Beautiful colors and it keeps the mystical feelings of it. Keep pickin and keep takin photos. We all love them.
By the way the new “motorcycle” song is great. Be seein ya, thanks for the response.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:19 pm

The Folkslinger

leenski wrote:
adg wrote:

I totally agree, oh that moon speaks to us, draws us in. I have an infinity for the water also. My Mom always said the first time she took me to the beach (I was three) I ran straight toward the waves, arms outstretched yelling ‘My ocean my ocean’. I love the water and the moonlight over it brings something very special. It’s our sign as my birthday is June 25th. Unfortunately for me where I live it is hard to see the moon due to many factors. I like your close up pics, very detailed, but I truly love the pics you take with a distance of the moon. Beautiful colors and it keeps the mystical feelings of it. Keep pickin and keep takin photos. We all love them.
By the way the new “motorcycle” song is great. Be seein ya, thanks for the response.

Nice crescent moon this morning low on the horizon about an hour before the sun came up! Wasn't much light from it, but it sure looked good :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:03 pm

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:
leenski wrote:
adg wrote:

Nice crescent moon this morning low on the horizon about an hour before the sun came up! Wasn't much light from it, but it sure looked good :)

<3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:50 pm

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:

new moon coming up

heaven!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:41 am

The Folkslinger

agnes wrote:
adg wrote:

new moon coming up

heaven!

It's increasingly hard to take moonlight pix during the new moon. Must be something wrong with my cameras.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:59 am

ArloNetizen

agnes wrote:
adg wrote:
leenski wrote:

<3

I took this photo as I was walking into work yesterday with my iPhone XS Max. http://imgur.com/6k8qW7L

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:06 pm

Arlo Fanatic

oh nice.

i also love the tree silhouettes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:09 pm

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:
agnes wrote:
adg wrote:

new moon coming up

heaven!

It's increasingly hard to take moonlight pix during the new moon. Must be something wrong with my cameras.

hahaha….!