Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

 


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: WELCOME TO 2019
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:45 pm
  

User avatar
ArloNetizen

Joined: Dec 30, 2018
Posts: 30
adg wrote:
Animals seem to like it also. Birds, fish etc.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Good on ya dude. But does that music move you, make you happy or just vibrate with your inner soul? IM me if you don’t want everyone to know. I’m not sure what New age you mean. I truly like whatever happens to fit the mood, dont particularly like much rap. Too violent for my taste. I like the stories whether there are words or not.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject: Re: WELCOME TO 2019
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:41 pm
  

User avatar
The Folkslinger

Joined: Nov 23, 1999
Posts: 748
Images: 40
Location: Housatonic, MA
leenski wrote:
adg wrote:
Animals seem to like it also. Birds, fish etc.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Good on ya dude. But does that music move you, make you happy or just vibrate with your inner soul? IM me if you don’t want everyone to know. I’m not sure what New age you mean. I truly like whatever happens to fit the mood, dont particularly like much rap. Too violent for my taste. I like the stories whether there are words or not.


I find it compliments me, and altho I don't like every single thing that plays, it's generally pretty peaceful stuff. I keep it going throughout the day and night, like a soothing background. If I want to actually pay attention, I listen to the old classical stuff, or some of my friends or mentors. :)


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: WELCOME TO 2019
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:32 pm
  

User avatar
ArloNetizen

Joined: Dec 30, 2018
Posts: 30
adg wrote:
leenski wrote:
adg wrote:
Animals seem to like it also. Birds, fish etc.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Good on ya dude. But does that music move you, make you happy or just vibrate with your inner soul? IM me if you don’t want everyone to know. I’m not sure what New age you mean. I truly like whatever happens to fit the mood, dont particularly like much rap. Too violent for my taste. I like the stories whether there are words or not.


I find it compliments me, and altho I don't like every single thing that plays, it's generally pretty peaceful stuff. I keep it going throughout the day and night, like a soothing background. If I want to actually pay attention, I listen to the old classical stuff, or some of my friends or mentors. :)



That’s what it’s all about. Right? I’m listening at this moment to the Moody Blues. Peaceful and makes me happy. I remember hearing you say something about the music going across the world/universe and leaving a mark on it. Well that’s what I got from what you said. It also leaves you with a connection to what was going on when you heard certain tunes. I agree to that thought.

I bought myself a guitar and am teaching myself. It’s fun and I love the challenge. Some of the chords are tricky for me to finger but it’s coming. I know it will make me happy. I am thinking about getting my flute out too. It needs a little repair first. Music is what makes the world go around.

Have a great peaceful day Arlo. Thanks for talking with me. Have a great show tonight. Hope to meet you in Santa Rosa and say hello.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: WELCOME TO 2019
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:17 pm
  

User avatar
ArloNetizen

Joined: Dec 30, 2018
Posts: 30
I just watched the u-tube recording Dave made of Sarah singing at the Birchmere on the 9th. She was great. You have to be so proud of her and of Abe. They looked so happy. Sarah has a great voice and showmanship which I am sure she learned from you. Now another reason I can’t wait to see you guys in March 2019. Thank Dave for the recording.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject: Re: WELCOME TO 2019
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:13 am
  

User avatar
The Folkslinger

Joined: Nov 23, 1999
Posts: 748
Images: 40
Location: Housatonic, MA
Yeah Sarah Lee has been wowing the audiences everywhere. Dave did a nice video. I didn’t even know he was there!!! We’ve got 5 more shows to do, then get a little break. I’m looking forward to all of it. Mostly I am anticipating the mornings along the River - My quiet time. A cup of coffee, no stress, and the colors of dawn. Just standing around watching the days unfold.

Image


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: WELCOME TO 2019
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:19 pm
  

User avatar
ArloNetizen

Joined: Dec 30, 2018
Posts: 30
Nice picture Arlo. Will you fly back to the river? I know that must be a peaceful place and warmer at this time of the year then the Birkshires. This may be too personal but I’m going to ask anyway, is there someone special with you or will you be alone? I imagine after being on the road the complete alone time, brain break that it offers is good. We all need that, even those of us that have non-celebrity lives need time alone to breathe. Clear our minds, have no one depending on us occasionally. It is good for the soul. Reconnect with the earth and that which feeds us. Enjoy your time. Although having someone who expects nothing from you but to be there for you is also good for the soul. I have only recently realized that. I have been alone and single for a very long time, and although I have been good with it, I came to the realization that having someone to confide in, hold you, enjoy quiet times, happy times and sad times is wonderful. I don’t have that person yet but now that I am open to that maybe it will happen again someday. I hope you have that person. Sending love and hugs and much peace.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject: Re: WELCOME TO 2019
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:26 pm
  

User avatar
The Folkslinger

Joined: Nov 23, 1999
Posts: 748
Images: 40
Location: Housatonic, MA
leenski wrote:
Nice picture Arlo. Will you fly back to the river? I know that must be a peaceful place and warmer at this time of the year then the Birkshires. This may be too personal but I’m going to ask anyway, is there someone special with you or will you be alone? I imagine after being on the road the complete alone time, brain break that it offers is good. We all need that, even those of us that have non-celebrity lives need time alone to breathe. Clear our minds, have no one depending on us occasionally. It is good for the soul. Reconnect with the earth and that which feeds us. Enjoy your time. Although having someone who expects nothing from you but to be there for you is also good for the soul. I have only recently realized that. I have been alone and single for a very long time, and although I have been good with it, I came to the realization that having someone to confide in, hold you, enjoy quiet times, happy times and sad times is wonderful. I don’t have that person yet but now that I am open to that maybe it will happen again someday. I hope you have that person. Sending love and hugs and much peace.


Yes I have a wonderful gal who is really good, and who usually travels with me, helping out in all the ways you mentioned. She's not on this current trek, but she's a dear friend and we have a lot of fun together. I will fly back in a couple of weeks after the gigs in Texas, and a visit to my #1 daughter in Austin. Then time off in the sun. :)


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: WELCOME TO 2019
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:07 pm
  

User avatar
ArloNetizen

Joined: Dec 30, 2018
Posts: 30
Aw, you blew this fans bubble. Teehee. But I am glad you have that person. It’s important to have fun and a confidante. The heart has to be open to that. Have a great time with your #1 daughter.
Hopefully we will see some more of your beautiful sunrise pics and those magical mystic moon shots while you are on the river.
I am busy teaching myself the guitar when I’m not at work or lifting iron at the gym. Learned some power chords and then learned about tablature and finger style arpeggios. Wish me luck, I’m having a great time. That darn “G” chord with the stretch is a hard one unless I change a couple fingers.
Plenty of things keepin me busy besides reading and studying and going to work.
Well have a great evening off.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject: Re: WELCOME TO 2019
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:17 am
  

User avatar
The Folkslinger

Joined: Nov 23, 1999
Posts: 748
Images: 40
Location: Housatonic, MA
leenski wrote:
Aw, you blew this fans bubble. Teehee. But I am glad you have that person. It’s important to have fun and a confidante. The heart has to be open to that. Have a great time with your #1 daughter.
Hopefully we will see some more of your beautiful sunrise pics and those magical mystic moon shots while you are on the river.
I am busy teaching myself the guitar when I’m not at work or lifting iron at the gym. Learned some power chords and then learned about tablature and finger style arpeggios. Wish me luck, I’m having a great time. That darn “G” chord with the stretch is a hard one unless I change a couple fingers.
Plenty of things keepin me busy besides reading and studying and going to work.
Well have a great evening off.


Hahahaha Bubbles are made to be broken! But, friends are always welcomed. Guitars are made to be played, so glad you're enjoying that, G chords notwithstanding. There's no end to learning and I keep figuring out different approaches to the stuff I thought I already knew. And yeah, I can't wait to get some downtime to enjoy the mornings on the river again. As far as teaching yourself to play goes, the best thing is that you don't have to compare yourself to anyone. I remember learning my stuff, and it was just for me and my friends, but mostly for me, when I was alone by myself. My father told me that music was the best friend I'd ever have, and he was right. I enjoy just being by myself and playing whatever comes to mind, drifting from one thought to the next just to see what it sounds like. I still discover new things that way. It's not a performance, it's being accompanied by a friend. Performing is a whole different thing, and naturally I enjoy that too. But at its core, it's just something I enjoy myself, for myself. Hope it works that way for you too.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: WELCOME TO 2019
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:25 am
  

User avatar
ArloNetizen

Joined: Dec 30, 2018
Posts: 30
adg wrote:
leenski wrote:
Aw, you blew this fans bubble. Teehee. But I am glad you have that person. It’s important to have fun and a confidante. The heart has to be open to that. Have a great time with your #1 daughter.
Hopefully we will see some more of your beautiful sunrise pics and those magical mystic moon shots while you are on the river.
I am busy teaching myself the guitar when I’m not at work or lifting iron at the gym. Learned some power chords and then learned about tablature and finger style arpeggios. Wish me luck, I’m having a great time. That darn “G” chord with the stretch is a hard one unless I change a couple fingers.
Plenty of things keepin me busy besides reading and studying and going to work.
Well have a great evening off.


Hahahaha Bubbles are made to be broken! But, friends are always welcomed. Guitars are made to be played, so glad you're enjoying that, G chords notwithstanding. There's no end to learning and I keep figuring out different approaches to the stuff I thought I already knew. And yeah, I can't wait to get some downtime to enjoy the mornings on the river again. As far as teaching yourself to play goes, the best thing is that you don't have to compare yourself to anyone. I remember learning my stuff, and it was just for me and my friends, but mostly for me, when I was alone by myself. My father told me that music was the best friend I'd ever have, and he was right. I enjoy just being by myself and playing whatever comes to mind, drifting from one thought to the next just to see what it sounds like. I still discover new things that way. It's not a performance, it's being accompanied by a friend. Performing is a whole different thing, and naturally I enjoy that too. But at its core, it's just something I enjoy myself, for myself. Hope it works that way for you too.


I love music, I have always said if I had only one choice lose my hearing or lose my eyesight it would be lose my hearing because I have plenty of music in my head to occupy me, and I haven’t seen everything yet. That being said don’t take me wrong I don’t want to lose either. Music is always with us it’s the sounds of the world. So yes I am enjoying learning. My friend said to me the reason it seems easier this time is because I’m more focused. I do wish I had someone like him or you around to help a little when I feel stuck but I keep pushing ahead. I was thinking I’m having a hard memorizing some of the little songs but then practice will help that and my muscle memory will kick in eventually. Your father was right. You will always have comfort with your music. I’m not a performer. I used to really hate recitals. I was forced to do them, left a bad taste in my mouth. But playing for me is comforting and enjoyable. Music can cure what ails ya.

So thank you for the friends are welcome statement. We can never have enough of those. I would be honored to be a friend. I’m very selective about who I let in my shell. I’m sure you understand, being a crab yourself.
I hope the weather where you are is nice. We are being drenched in rain on the Northern California coast. Mud slides and water ways overflowing, especially where the fires were. I keep praying for this country in so many ways. Wash away the old and bring in the new. Mother Nature is working hard right now.
Talk to you soon. Do you prefer this medium, or IM? Everyone can read these notes. Have a truly calm day.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject: Re: WELCOME TO 2019
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:34 am
  

User avatar
The Folkslinger

Joined: Nov 23, 1999
Posts: 748
Images: 40
Location: Housatonic, MA
leenski wrote:
adg wrote:
leenski wrote:
Aw, you blew this fans bubble. Teehee. But I am glad you have that person. It’s important to have fun and a confidante. The heart has to be open to that. Have a great time with your #1 daughter.
Hopefully we will see some more of your beautiful sunrise pics and those magical mystic moon shots while you are on the river.
I am busy teaching myself the guitar when I’m not at work or lifting iron at the gym. Learned some power chords and then learned about tablature and finger style arpeggios. Wish me luck, I’m having a great time. That darn “G” chord with the stretch is a hard one unless I change a couple fingers.
Plenty of things keepin me busy besides reading and studying and going to work.
Well have a great evening off.


Hahahaha Bubbles are made to be broken! But, friends are always welcomed. Guitars are made to be played, so glad you're enjoying that, G chords notwithstanding. There's no end to learning and I keep figuring out different approaches to the stuff I thought I already knew. And yeah, I can't wait to get some downtime to enjoy the mornings on the river again. As far as teaching yourself to play goes, the best thing is that you don't have to compare yourself to anyone. I remember learning my stuff, and it was just for me and my friends, but mostly for me, when I was alone by myself. My father told me that music was the best friend I'd ever have, and he was right. I enjoy just being by myself and playing whatever comes to mind, drifting from one thought to the next just to see what it sounds like. I still discover new things that way. It's not a performance, it's being accompanied by a friend. Performing is a whole different thing, and naturally I enjoy that too. But at its core, it's just something I enjoy myself, for myself. Hope it works that way for you too.


I love music, I have always said if I had only one choice lose my hearing or lose my eyesight it would be lose my hearing because I have plenty of music in my head to occupy me, and I haven’t seen everything yet. That being said don’t take me wrong I don’t want to lose either. Music is always with us it’s the sounds of the world. So yes I am enjoying learning. My friend said to me the reason it seems easier this time is because I’m more focused. I do wish I had someone like him or you around to help a little when I feel stuck but I keep pushing ahead. I was thinking I’m having a hard memorizing some of the little songs but then practice will help that and my muscle memory will kick in eventually. Your father was right. You will always have comfort with your music. I’m not a performer. I used to really hate recitals. I was forced to do them, left a bad taste in my mouth. But playing for me is comforting and enjoyable. Music can cure what ails ya.

So thank you for the friends are welcome statement. We can never have enough of those. I would be honored to be a friend. I’m very selective about who I let in my shell. I’m sure you understand, being a crab yourself.
I hope the weather where you are is nice. We are being drenched in rain on the Northern California coast. Mud slides and water ways overflowing, especially where the fires were. I keep praying for this country in so many ways. Wash away the old and bring in the new. Mother Nature is working hard right now.
Talk to you soon. Do you prefer this medium, or IM? Everyone can read these notes. Have a truly calm day.


You can always private message me here, or elsewhere. I'll get 'em either way. Feel free.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: WELCOME TO 2019
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:54 pm
  

User avatar
ArloNetizen

Joined: Dec 30, 2018
Posts: 30
I didn’t know you could PM here. Well it depends on what we’re talking about. Thanks. Have a great show in TN tonight.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject: Re: WELCOME TO 2019
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:17 pm
  

User avatar
The Folkslinger

Joined: Nov 23, 1999
Posts: 748
Images: 40
Location: Housatonic, MA
leenski wrote:
I didn’t know you could PM here. Well it depends on what we’re talking about. Thanks. Have a great show in TN tonight.


Yeah one can PM here, but I don't remember how to do it, I just get them every once in a while, but haven't for a long time. Easier to PM in FB or something everyone knows how to do.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: WELCOME TO 2019
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:09 am
  

Senior ArloNetizen

Joined: Jan 12, 2007
Posts: 332
Location: france
[quote adg]My father told me that music was the best friend I'd ever have, and he was right. I enjoy just being by myself and playing whatever comes to mind, drifting from one thought to the next just to see what it sounds like. I still discover new things that way. It's not a performance, it's being accompanied by a friend.[/quote]

[quote leenski]I love music,......Music is always with us it’s the sounds of the world. So yes I am enjoying learning.[/quote]

Music is fantastic. I love it too. I've been learning how to play the guitar and the banjo by myself ( with vidéos ) for several years but I'm still a beginner. I like playing (or trying to play) at home just for me . However it's important to be able to have people to tell you if it's right or not and for advice. Last year I went to a bluegrass workshop, I learned a lot by sharing with other people. It was very interesting to learn how to play in a group because at home I tend to play just the melody, especially with the banjo.


          Top  
Reply with quote  
Offline
 Post subject: Re: WELCOME TO 2019
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:20 am
  

User avatar
The Folkslinger

Joined: Nov 23, 1999
Posts: 748
Images: 40
Location: Housatonic, MA
cecile wrote:
[quote adg]My father told me that music was the best friend I'd ever have, and he was right. I enjoy just being by myself and playing whatever comes to mind, drifting from one thought to the next just to see what it sounds like. I still discover new things that way. It's not a performance, it's being accompanied by a friend.


[quote leenski]I love music,......Music is always with us it’s the sounds of the world. So yes I am enjoying learning.[/quote]

Music is fantastic. I love it too. I've been learning how to play the guitar and the banjo by myself ( with vidéos ) for several years but I'm still a beginner. I like playing (or trying to play) at home just for me . However it's important to be able to have people to tell you if it's right or not and for advice. Last year I went to a bluegrass workshop, I learned a lot by sharing with other people. It was very interesting to learn how to play in a group because at home I tend to play just the melody, especially with the banjo.[/quote]

Not a lot of people even have a banjo in the house! So you're ahead of the game already. Learning from videos is something I never tried, they didn't have 'em when I was learning, so I hope it works for you. I had my banjo out on the last tour for just one song, and it was so fun to play again. There's a lot of different styles someone could learn on the banjo - very different and distinctive - Generally the differences are in the right hand - picking styles. Good luck trying to figure out that stuff!


          Top  
Reply with quote  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group