Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:41 am

The Folkslinger

It’s now Oct. 2014. I am sitting at the same desk, in the same place I have been for most of my life, when I’ve been here on the farm. I’ve written countless thoughts, shared some of them, and awaited each day looking out from the same hole in the wall - the window. For decades, Jackie would be asleep behind me - being a creature of night, she was rarely awake at this time. The sun is just beyond the hills to the east and will arrive before I get done putting these thoughts together. We’re into the month of important anniversaries, births, deaths and memories.

October is when most things happened… My Father, Woody died on Oct. 3rd. My mother, Marjorie was born on this day - the 6th of Oct. in 1917 in Atlantic City. Jackie and I were married on the 9th, and she left this world on the 14th 2012. Honestly, I did not expect to be counted among the living two years after her departure. But, life has it’s own plans for us all and you don’t always get to see the plan while you’re here. At least, that’s how it seems to me. So, we just make the best of it, and go on until you don’t.

The sun has risen now and I’ve been talking about getting a shade of some kind for ever, but I never got around to doing it. These days are glorious to witness. The colors are extraordinary this year - a good time to get out and have a look around. And beginning this coming weekend, starting at The Church, I’ll be doing just that. My Solo Reunion Tour begins in the North East heading up to Maine, and Vermont.

I’m heading to Missouri and a few gigs around Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Connecticut and New York culminating at Carnegie Hall for our annual Family Thanksgiving show. I think we’re all doing a Christmas Tree lighting also in Dante Square - Lincoln Center on the first of December, where we’ll sing a few Christmas songs and have some fun - free to everyone too!

So here at the desk, with sunlight pouring in through the window, it's another in the countless moments I write about - When I was young I wrote in stone. Through middle age I wrote on paper and now I enjoy writing on water. That’s all that’s really changed. One day I will write upon the wind…

Much Love… adg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:48 am

Senior ArloNetizen

As an artist I don't think with words. I will do my best. I don't know what to say except thank you for sharing your life and love. Thanks for the beauty. It was wonderful to wake up and have your words be the first thing I read today.
" So here at the desk, with sunlight pouring in through the window, it's another in the countless moments I write about - When I was young I wrote in stone. Through middle age I wrote on paper and now I enjoy writing on water. That’s all that’s really changed. One day I will write upon the wind…"

<3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:29 pm

Arlo Fanatic

"Write upon the wind".......Sounds like a song there. Thanks, as always, for being here, and for everything you do!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:48 pm

Arlo Fanatic

T.S. Eliot said that "April is the cruellest month," but I think he got it wrong. Gotta agree with the folkslinger that October has been the most eventful month for me throughout my life (only he said it more eloquently!). Best thing about October is that when it's done, we can think about the massacree and then Christmas!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:39 am

Arlo Fanatic

Hey adg, Thanks for the lovely words and the update. Take care. Love and BIG HUG from Louise. P.S. Maybe I will get to Massachusetts one October! As you know it's a long way to come!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:26 pm

ArloNetizen

adg, I wish I could help you the way you helped me. My husband passed away in 2012, when we had been married 32 years. 2 yrs later I began reading everything I could about the Guthrie Center and about your loss. My whole life I have said that if I found a Church[the GC] that believed what I did, and had people who lived their lives according to their beliefs, that I would join in a second. And I joined. I have been listening to your music ever since the movie poster glued my little 11 yr old feet to the sidewalk, so I could tell what kind of person you are, and what you do for the world. When I want to kick myself for not finding the Church sooner, I know it was a gift given to me at the time when my grief was ready to slowly begin healing. Before that I was just crossing days off the calendar til I could go meet my husband. I wish I could help you the way you helped me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:12 pm

Arlo Fanatic

That is a song.

Arlo wrote: "Honestly, I did not expect to be counted among the living two years after her departure. But, life has it’s own plans for us all and you don’t always get to see the plan while you’re here."

That sounds like how I felt about Mikes passing. I didn't think I'd live a day without him and here I am 5 yrs later still alive. We are survivors. Can't say I'm happy but I have somehow survived. Hugs to you AG! :) Hugs to deeyak too. I know what you btoh are going thru. Your spouses are no doubt visiting with my Mike up there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:26 pm

ArloNetizen

Beautiful expressions from all here. I haven't lost anyone close to me like you all have, but I lead a very solitary life so I know how those moments of uncertainty and loneliness can feel to us. What we end up doing is putting one foot in front of the other, and eventually remembering all the good times. I admire all of you. Arlo, keep on keeping on and keep your heart open as you are so blessed with a wonderful family and the ability to make us feel happier and at peace knowing you will eventually be everywhere to see us! Namaste.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:09 pm

ArloNetizen

anarchess, I hesitated passing this along to you , partly because it makes me sound like a know-it-all, but also because I am VERY aware that sometimes even caring, kind encouragement can backfire and make us feel worse. I hope this helps. It is the answer I give to so many people who ask me "How do you do it?" It's like connect the dots. One day you get together with a friend, the next weekend see a friend, could be another 2 weeks later you see friends again. Connect the dots. Somehow that made me see the connections to people that I didn't even realize I had a connection with, could be quite meaningful ,in-between those dots. I don't know the amount of people you have in your life right now, but there's way more kind people out there than any of us can imagine, and any one of them would invite you to their friend's birthday party, or their dog walk, and their friends will become your friends. Sometimes you won't feel like it, I can't tell you how many terrible movies I've been to, just because a friend wanted to hang out!!! Like I said, I've had very kind people give their most caring encouragements that made me feel worse, so I hope hope hope this reply was ok.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:12 am

BlunderVirgin

Hoping to catch a performance in 2015 before you put Alice's Restaurant back in the box. Any chance of a Stop in NH on the tour? I'd drive to MA, ME, VT, the Adirondack area of NY. But the seacoat are of NH would be great. Prescott Park? Portsmouth's Music Hall? The Tupelo?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:15 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Hi, Michelle. How are things on the seacoast? I spent a great year up there while in the AF at Pease AFB, and my son was born at the Naval Hospital in Kittery. Welcome to blunderland!