Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post subject: Checking In
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:50 am

The Folkslinger

We are on the road again after the holiday break with the whole family. Everyone was so happy to be back together. We'll see if they feel that way in May. It's a tough schedule but we get to go to some interesting places.

We're beginning to put together the schedule for the next tour called "Journey On." And it looks like I'll be touring in Europe for much of the summer and fall. There's festivals and shows that will be taking me farther afield than I've been in a good long time. The only downside is that I will not be able to do our annual Church Revivals as we've been doing for many years. It's not only a conflict of dates, but we are playing in the area at the major venues this year too. Having said that, George, our director at the church, has put together a pretty impressive agenda for the summer schedule there. I hope everyone will attend when you visit the area.

Meanwhile, we're back on the trail crossing the country. I hope everyone gets to see this show with the family. It's fun!

Love as usual,
adg

Post subject: Re: Checking In
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:17 am

Arlo Fanatic

Safe and happy trails to all of you!!! I'm looking forward to seeing you in Stuart next month :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:19 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Bummer. Disapointed about the church gigs, but understanding as well.
Hey gang, we may have to tailgate without the folksinger this fall anyway!?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:56 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Bummer ditto.

Maybe this is the year for Arlo impersonators.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:28 pm

BlunderVirgin

What a wonderful show last night in Wilmington, DE. Good to see David and Terry too! :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:30 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Yeah Len, maybe we can get one of those thousands of Elvis guys to work on it?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:10 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Thanks for the info hon. I wasn't able to make it anyway so I won't be missing. I do feel for those who wanted to see you there. It was nice seeing your clone today. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:11 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Larry wrote:
Yeah Len, maybe we can get one of those thousands of Elvis guys to work on it?

Award Arlos, sort of like injection molded rat finks. Arlo a la Roth.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:33 pm

Arlo Fanatic

He's doing a gig at Tanglewood this summer, and one in Pittsfield, MA in November. Most big venues have a "no-compete" clause in their contracts...which means they can't do gigs within (usually)a 50 mile radius and within 3-4 months of their concert. The Birchmere in VA is very serious about this...and I think they require six months. I saw a potential Birchmere gig disappear in the last couple of years because he played The Strathmore in Bethesda, MD a few months previous to their date...and it melted off their show calendar. It's just business...they want to be able to fill the venue.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:41 am

Senior ArloNetizen

You know, Arlo, if you were *really* our friend, you would charter a plane, and then a train, for us and take us with you all over Europe. Or we could go by cruise ship and barge. Just a thought. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:22 am

Arlo Fanatic

sue wrote:
He's doing a gig at Tanglewood this summer, and one in Pittsfield, MA in November. Most big venues have a "no-compete" clause in their contracts...which means they can't do gigs within (usually)a 50 mile radius and within 3-4 months of their concert. The Birchmere in VA is very serious about this...and I think they require six months. I saw a potential Birchmere gig disappear in the last couple of years because he played The Strathmore in Bethesda, MD a few months previous to their date...and it melted off their show calendar. It's just business...they want to be able to fill the venue.

Understandable although the idea that a room seating 100 competes with either of those venues is a bit silly. Still, that's the biz.

The golden lining here is this:
Quote:
festivals and shows that will be taking me farther afield than I've been in a good long time

Arlo is at a point where like Willie Nelson, he is an icon, not in the old rock star sense, but the genuine cultural sense. He stands not just for a time but beliefs and values people hang on to because they're real. And it's not just in the Berkshires or Massachusetts or America. It's global. The world needs it, he's got it, and he's going where people are to share it. That's very cool. It's also A-list and good for the business. :lol:

It doesn't break the tradition. It means it's a whole lot bigger. As for visiting the Center, I see Sarah Lee and Johnny are booked as well as Xavier, so Larry's right about the tailgate. Maybe something warmer to get some woodwork done on that front door.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:12 pm

Arlo Fanatic

sue wrote:

Some of these venues just don't "get it" that most of us will attend ALL the shows in a given area (usually GREATER THAN 50 miles) and definitely within months, weeks, even days! They are of the mind that once you've seen a show, you don't "need" to see it again. Like I said, they don't get it! Oh well. I'm happy to be able to see him once a year "locally" even if that means driving 450 miles to Boulder in the snow on Easter Sunday.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:30 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

I'd never heard of the non-compete clauses till I started reading posts here, and it does seem like a very shortsighted policy. And if the Birchmere actually dropped Arlo because of his appearance at the Strathmore last year, that was particularly stupid since the Birchmere frequently "presents" shows at the Strathmore (can't remember if they "presented" Arlo last year)....seems like it would not be a good strategy to make it difficult for a venue you want to use to book an artist. I wonder if they will apply the policy to their own new branches when/if they finally open?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:34 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Thanks for that info Sue, I've never heard about that clause before.

It is a great show. I hope everyone who wants to gets a chance to see it.

Safe and happy travels to all!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:48 pm

Arlo Fanatic

[/quote]
Some of these venues just don't "get it" that most of us will attend ALL the shows in a given area (usually GREATER THAN 50 miles) and definitely within months, weeks, even days! They are of the mind that once you've seen a show, you don't "need" to see it again. Like I said, they don't get it! [/quote]

That's probably why he rarely comes to Richmond, VA which is real close to me. So road trip it is...