Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post subject: 40th Anniversaries
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:29 am

The Folkslinger

Okay, so 40 years ago, August we were at Woodstock. Then that September, Jackie and I bought the farm (as it were), and we're still here. Later, that October we got married on the farm, still married too. Then later in November, Alice's Restaurant (the movie) was released! There hasn't been a four month stretch like that since then! So we're celebrating a lot of 40th things this year.

Post subject: Re: 40th Anniversaries
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:23 am

Arlo Fanatic

69 was a peak in a cycle that starts in 1947. 2008 seems to be another one. Face it, fella; you're enharmonic. :lol:

Congratulations on the 40th with Mrs. G. I hope you brought more than flowers home.

As to Woodstock, it set a generation on a path. As I look around me, those that hewed to it are among the happiest people I know. Is that historical? It doesn't matter. It worked. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:36 am

Arlo Fanatic

Location: Sunkistpower, Florida and the Janet Wood School Of L'eggsology studying sheer drama up to my waist
adg wrote:
Okay, so 40 years ago, August we were at Woodstock. Then that September, Jackie and I bought the farm (as it were), and we're still here. Later, that October we got married on the farm, still married too. Then later in November, Alice's Restaurant (the movie) was released! There hasn't been a four month stretch like that since then! So we're celebrating a lot of 40th things this year.

Arlo you left out the 40th anniversary of Neil Armstrong landing on the moon(Oh boy! Whew!) on July 20 1969, the month before Woodstock.
I just realized another 40th anniversary landmark, that is left out, this piece of clothing that was introduced to the market-pantyhose! :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:56 am

Arlo Fanatic

A nice variety of personal and family milestones, half of which were shared with millions.Waxing nostalgic seems to be something we all do as we age, not believing THAT many years have passed.
Being part of nostalgia is nice, but so is being part of the present. In other words, thanks for still being relevent!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:29 am

Arlo Fanatic

It's true about 40th anniversaries being special. When I think back, I realize that, for my wife and I, the time around 40 years ago was especially dynamic. Between 1964-1970, we counted up 14 different residences between us (only 3 between 1970 and the present), and it seems like just about every important event in our lives took place during that time. Now, we're just kind of "coasting" along.

mikey (remembering the 60's, in spite of what Wavy Gravy said.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:32 am

Arlo Fanatic

Arlo--Congratulations to you and Jackie on all your anniversaries! Here's hoping for another 40!

Much love to you both! :D

PS: Happy 20th Anniversary of the Blunderman's Fabulous Adventure! So many of the best things in my life came to be because of that trip! It was a life-changing experience! Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:58 am

Arlo Fanatic

Location: Sunkistpower, Florida and the Janet Wood School Of L'eggsology studying sheer drama up to my waist
adg wrote:
Then later in November, Alice's Restaurant (the movie) was released!

According to imdb.com the release date of the Alice's Restaurant movie was August 20, 1969 as stated on the info page, unless there was a mistake or if someone remembered exactly going to opening night of the premiere that day.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:36 pm

Arlo Fanatic

It's also the 40th anniversary of --- ummmm----what the heck was it?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:45 pm

The Folkslinger

The premiere might have been in August but it's doubtful. There was a sneak preview in NYC that Oct. and I remember it well. They wouldn't let me in without a ticket. I told the lady in the booth that it was MY movie... No ticket - no movie. That could only have happened to me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:20 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Arlo now I remember you stating in your commentary on the Alice's DVD that you could not see your movie without a ticket, that blows manure!.... I don't remember what month you went to see it. I was not sure if you said you were enjoying the popcorn and eating the movie :lol: ....You should have told the lady at the ticket booth that you were the one millionth customer, then you would have got in for free . What an anniversary celebration that would have been :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:52 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Quote:

Chappaquidik.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:36 pm

Arlo Fanatic

len wrote:
Quote:

Chappaquidik.

Maybe spellcheck.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:08 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Happy Anniversary Arlo and Jackie!!! What a long,strange and delightful trip it's been and continues to be. I know you hear this all the time, but you guys have been an incredible inspiration to a lot of folks. Best wishes for many more, Peace, Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:30 am

Arlo Fanatic

Happy 40th everything! Sounds like an exciting & busy yr for ya. Love to you... :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:37 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Wow happy 40th anniversary to you and Mrs. G. The wife and I just celebrated our 25th in July and I wonder why the heck she has stuck with me all these years given what I have put her through. When asked she replied “it was easy you were never around” :lol: . Now that I am around a little more often we will see how the next 25 go. Anyways, just wanted to wish you both a happy 40th and Arlo don’t forget the flowers thing I did for my 20th and I caught a lot of trouble for that mistake… :roll:
-Eric