Forums » Website Related Forums » News & Announcements

Post subject: For Iran & For The World
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:16 pm

The Folkslinger

I am changing the location of some social networks (Twitter & MySpace etc.) to Tehran, Iran for the purpose of giving the Government there one extra address to wade through as they sneak around spying on their own people. (don't really know if it will help - but WTF)

You guys wearing sacred clothing, holding the Holy Koran in hand, while your thugs beat, maim and kill your fathers, brothers, sisters & mothers - Yeah you guys (if you're reading this) - You have shown the entire world that you would sacrifice your own children for your temporary authority over them even as you KNOW you will grow old and pass away, and they will live to create a world of their own. The only question is how many will perish before you come to your senses or stand before your creator... How much blood will be spilt before your shame overcomes you and you shed tears for forgiveness? If the power of your authority comes only from clubs and guns, what does that say of your God? It would be better to have no faith than to have as little as yours... adg

P.S. Same goes for any nation anywhere, anytime (including ours) when tyrants cover the rotting stench of their cold dying hearts with the outward appearance of holiness.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:44 pm

Arlo Fanatic

That's a remarkable act and a truly noteworthy sentiment. Maybe there's a song there somewhere. I kind of wish our president had an equally strong feeling about what's going on over there, but I suppose politics is politics.

mikey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:56 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Here, here, you go Arlo. It's a shame these country leaders don't have the same sense and logic as you do.

Alex

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:45 pm

Arlo Fanatic

A noble sentiment. But yet another inauguration you won't get invited to! But that's a good thing......

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:53 pm

Arlo Fanatic

++1

What can we do to help?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:19 pm

ArloNetizen

AMEN Brother, AMEN!!!
BEAUTIFULLY said!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:08 am

Arlo Fanatic

Amen honey! You would make a great president...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:22 pm

Arlo Fanatic

The trouble often is that many that read The Holy Koran or The Holy Bible end up speaking for and judging for the creator rather than listening to him/her.Assuming judgement for the creator often leads to acting for the creator in ways I assume the creator would wish that one didn't.
So far as standing behind the oppressed of other nations, we need to do that with both action and a high degree of patience. Too much action can be dangerous, not enough could lead to needing even more patience.
In our own country, we can and have used more action to influence political agendas than we could hope to in other countries and still avoid military conflict.
It's important to remember the lessons of Gandhi and Dr. King in times like these.
In the case of Iran, my limited knowledge of part of the situation suggests that the fastest growing part of the demographic is people under 30 who tend to embrace western culture and freedoms more than previous generations. This suggests that change will come with time, as it did in this country, and as it continues to do.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:40 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Of course I agree with you, Larry. One question is what can be done?

Asking Obama and god forbid the folks at Langley to put their noses in the tent is the wrong thing to do right now in my opinion. We've hamfisted cultures for unworthy goals too much in the last century. This is their movement and time and it has to be to their credit when it succeeds which it will. Neda is real. The sacrifices are real. They will change because they will it and we might not like what they have to say about us, but at least it will be them and it will be honest.

We can show solidarity. Arlo's performance on NPR, his statement here which I recopied back to my Facebook and blog and got both positive and some hateful stuff back, those show solidarity and they come from a cultural icon (Sorry, Arlo, ya gotta get used to being the Big Kahuna). If the churches and other non-govermental organizations would organize a national day of solidarity, a peaceful demonstration of support for the Persians from the people of America, that would be significant.

The best thing we can do is keep the events in the newscycle. It is not enough for the whole world to be watching. The whole world has to remember too.

Remember Neda.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:11 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Well said len. Kinda where I'm at on this. Influence can be powerful without using power.
The internet might be the new version of what "Radio Free Europe" once was for example.
Keep it in the WORLD news. Shine a light on it long enough and the cockroaches scurry.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:36 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

I thought this, and the 2d part of the "guide" (link at bottom) had some pretty good practical information and cautions:

http://reinikainen.co.uk/2009/06/iranel ... beginners/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:09 am

Arlo Fanatic

Larry wrote:
Well said len. Kinda where I'm at on this. Influence can be powerful without using power.
The internet might be the new version of what "Radio Free Europe" once was for example.
Keep it in the WORLD news. Shine a light on it long enough and the cockroaches scurry.

Larry's still got the brain cell and won't turn loose of it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:33 am

Arlo Fanatic

Arlo started it! :D

And, much like Woody said he did, I may be telling you something you already know.

But Goofus, if I'm ever looking for an agent or P.R. person.....you got the job. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:35 am

Arlo Fanatic

Wow. I'm hearing that people simply involved in election protests are subject to the death penalty.
I suppose Dick Cheney and Rush Limbaugh are taking notes on this process in case we ever get a republican president again.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:56 pm

Arlo Fanatic

That's why a very bright light needs to shine INTO the country NOW. They'll sort out the Twitter and Facebook feeds they've been monitoring, identify and then *cleanse*. Remember South Africa? One way to keep people alive in a prison camp is to make sure other people have their names.

The KGB errmmm Russian government announced their support for the official election results. No big surprise there because they are scared witless of their substantial Muslim population, but it means the same old rotten cold war games are still being played. To continue trade, other countries will fall in line.

But this election scared the theocrats. Arlo's message hits them where they live: the legitimacy of the spiritual basis for their authority. That is the message to repeat, not attacking their culture or their government, but the reasonableness of faith in men who set dogs loose on their opponents and say it is Allah's will. The Koran has rather draconian measures for false prophets.