Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Arlo's Restaurant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:17 am

The Folkslinger

December 20, 2018 - Roseland, FL - The CrabHouse

Another one of those mornings I love! Once I had a cup of coffee in hand, I rambled up the stairs to the deck overlooking the river. I have a clear line of sight over the water to where the sun comes up. There're severe weather warnings on the news, although nothing really close (yet). Maybe later today.

The color looked promising early, and I took a few pix (one of which I'll include here). As the moments ticked by, it faded into an overall color shift that dominated the entire scene coloring everything in a warm orange glow. I had to take a few selfies bathed in orange. But, the definitive colors in the skies never really materialized. So, I was left with the early shots to tweak and play with.

That done, I have the rest of the day to take care of little things that always seem to creep into life. Getting things fixed, working, maintenance - the everyday ordinary chores. There's always stuff that can't be done from a tour bus in the middle of nowhere. It waits, for days like this.

Well, I was gonna post a picture, but then I got this notice "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." I'm not sure which board it's warning me about" The entire forum, the topic, or the thread... Anyway, it's not going to be posted here apparently. So much for little things...A funny start to another day!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:09 pm

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:
........Well, I was gonna post a picture, but then I got this notice "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." I'm not sure which board it's warning me about" The entire forum, the topic, or the thread... Anyway, it's not going to be posted here apparently. So much for little things...A funny start to another day!

that’s too bad. i have very little experience with posting pictures/attachments. i don’t know! i was looking forward to seeing it. ah well…

i do know i have seen photos others have posted and i don’t see that little paperclip on the thread title,,,i don’t know if that makes any difference as far as quotas go but there seems to be another way to post a picture. but you might not want to do that, whatever it is, and that is fine.

still there is something said in sharing the experience

adg wrote:
December 20, 2018 - Roseland, FL - The CrabHouse

Another one of those mornings I love! Once I had a cup of coffee in hand, I rambled up the stairs to the deck overlooking the river. I have a clear line of sight over the water to where the sun comes up. There're severe weather warnings on the news, although nothing really close (yet). Maybe later today.

The color looked promising early, and I took a few pix (one of which I'll include here). As the moments ticked by, it faded into an overall color shift that dominated the entire scene coloring everything in a warm orange glow. I had to take a few selfies bathed in orange. But, the definitive colors in the skies never really materialized. So, I was left with the early shots to tweak and play with.

That done, I have the rest of the day to take care of little things that always seem to creep into life. Getting things fixed, working, maintenance - the everyday ordinary chores. There's always stuff that can't be done from a tour bus in the middle of nowhere. It waits, for days like this.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:40 pm

Arlo Fanatic

wow….look at the fog out

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:43 pm

The Folkslinger

agnes wrote:
wow….look at the fog out

I'm gonna stick with posting the pix on Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/folkslinger - until I can figure out how this works. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:09 am

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:
agnes wrote:
wow….look at the fog out

I'm gonna stick with posting the pix on Flickr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/folkslinger - until I can figure out how this works. :)

oh alright...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:11 am

Arlo Fanatic

wow, saw that orange picture you were talking about

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:36 pm

The Folkslinger

agnes wrote:
wow, saw that orange picture you were talking about

Yeah! That was exciting! We don't get that kind of totally enveloping color very often. Pretty good stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:28 pm

Arlo Fanatic

arlo, what a gorgeous photo

https://www.facebook.com/arloguthrie/ph ... permPage=1

wow!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:21 am

The Folkslinger

agnes wrote:

Thank you! I've taken a lot of pix of the moon over the years. It took a while to figure out the best way for me to do it, especially without the bigger lenses and better cameras that are on the bus on the other side of the state. I think it's because I love moon light - It's magical. I've also tried to take some with me being in the shot, in the moon light, but they're harder to do. The moon appears bigger to the naked eye than it appears through the lens of a camera - A lot bigger - Some kind of optical illusion. So I've seen lots of pix where someone takes a shot of the moon, and photoshops it into an existing picture, so it appears to be like how we see it. I tried it just for fun a few years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:47 pm

Arlo Fanatic

adg wrote:
agnes wrote:

Thank you! I've taken a lot of pix of the moon over the years. It took a while to figure out the best way for me to do it, especially without the bigger lenses and better cameras that are on the bus on the other side of the state. I think it's because I love moon light - It's magical. I've also tried to take some with me being in the shot, in the moon light, but they're harder to do. The moon appears bigger to the naked eye than it appears through the lens of a camera - A lot bigger - Some kind of optical illusion. So I've seen lots of pix where someone takes a shot of the moon, and photoshops it into an existing picture, so it appears to be like how we see it. I tried it just for fun a few years ago.

oh it is. so beautiful the moon.

okay, i am just going to run through this. forgive me, i am going to process this as if i am talking about a film camera, even though i think you are using digital? (i have not used a digital one like that, only one of those tiny little point and shoot digital cameras, which are a lot of fun, and i may try to get another one some time) but i am remembering when i used the manual film ones.
i love the picture, it reminds me of when we used to look at the moon through my dad’s telescope when we were kids. (one of them he built himself) .

okay, just a run through, here goes
you got your camera, 200mm (harder to hold steady than 50mm or with a doubler, 100mm), aperture open wide (fairly shallow depth of field to work with), high speed film (more grainy quality than slower films), 1/1000 shutter speed (definitely!) and hand held.

all those things, and you struck a great balance. just wanted to say it

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:48 am

The Folkslinger

agnes wrote:
adg wrote:
agnes wrote:

oh it is. so beautiful the moon.

okay, i am just going to run through this. forgive me, i am going to process this as if i am talking about a film camera, even though i think you are using digital? (i have not used a digital one like that, only one of those tiny little point and shoot digital cameras, which are a lot of fun, and i may try to get another one some time) but i am remembering when i used the manual film ones.
i love the picture, it reminds me of when we used to look at the moon through my dad’s telescope when we were kids. (one of them he built himself) .

okay, just a run through, here goes
you got your camera, 200mm (harder to hold steady than 50mm or with a doubler, 100mm), aperture open wide (fairly shallow depth of field to work with), high speed film (more grainy quality than slower films), 1/1000 shutter speed (definitely!) and hand held.

all those things, and you struck a great balance. just wanted to say it

I started using digital cameras about the mid 90's when I took one to Hawaii when I was filming "Byrds" over there. It was only black and white, and the quality was pretty bad, in no way near what film was able to capture. And in addition the pix were really tiny. Within a couple of years they had color, and the pix were a little bigger. but they were fun. In the last 20 years they've gone from that humble beginning to (in my opinion) the equal of film in just about every way. In fact these days digital may have surpassed film in quality. Having said that, having a background in film, as I do, and having a camera capable of adjusting elements of the photo, like on the old film cameras, comes in very handy. That's why I love the little Fuji cameras - all the controls are still there. But, you can also get these new point and shoot cameras, where everything is automated - They work great, but lack the hands-on controls that old cameras used to have. But, the photos end up big, and gorgeous, and anyone can enjoy taking pix. I like that too!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:30 am

Arlo Fanatic

I’ve been playing with a Nikon 3400; it’s pretty much set up as a point and shoot with changeable lenses, or you can have full control of everything. It’s great for grabbing and getting quick photos of the grandkids ( or the cats!) doing something fun, or actually making choices and taking some photos without the camera in “ auto” mode.
I loved that photo you took of the moon; the sharpness and clarity was exceptional. It was big and bright in the sky a few nights ago!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:43 am

The Folkslinger

sue wrote:
I’ve been playing with a Nikon 3400; it’s pretty much set up as a point and shoot with changeable lenses, or you can have full control of everything. It’s great for grabbing and getting quick photos of the grandkids ( or the cats!) doing something fun, or actually making choices and taking some photos without the camera in “ auto” mode.
I loved that photo you took of the moon; the sharpness and clarity was exceptional. It was big and bright in the sky a few nights ago!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I miss having my big lens (stuck on a bus somewhere across the state). But, I have some that get the job done fairly well.