Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Arlo's Restaurant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:41 am

BlunderVirgin

Dear Arlo:

Recently, after a lifetime of living and working in cities, my family and I moved to a tiny town, York, in western NY. Although our backgrounds are very different from those of most York residents, we have been warmly received an welcomed into the community. Our dear friends across the street, Earl and Barbara Lubanski, have been especially kind! My wife, Molly, and I are college educated, and have had careers that have taken us to many places in the US and overseas. Earl and Barbara started a family in 10th grade, never completed high school, and have always lived in the York area. Nevertheless, we have become very close, and we get together almost every day, whether it's to help each other out with various house/farm projects, or just to chat. The Lubanskis have three sons who all still live in the area with their families. Earl and Barbara do not have a cell phone or computer, and because they have had to work so hard all of their lives, they have had little chance to acquaint themselves with popular culture in any form. So that somewhat sets the stage for the best "Alice's Resaturant" ever!

We were away visiting family for Thanksgiving, but when we returned Earl came over to tell us about the Lubanski family Thanksgiving. The highlight of the evening was when Todd, one of their sons, decided to introduce the family to "Alice's Restaurant."! Todd had it on his iPhone, but since Earl and Barbara do not have a stereo of any kind, he placed his phone in a glass to increase the volume. Earl said that Todd played it through twice, and was laughing hysterically both times. Of course, Earl and Barbara had no clue what the song was about, and sat there completely perplexed. Anyway, this image of multiple generations of Lubanskis sitting around their small dining room table, listening to "Alice's Restaurant" through an iPhone in a glass, gives me hope in these most difficult times! I think of this image as something RockwelI would have painted. I thought that you might enjoy this story as well.

Best wishes to you and your family for the holidays!

David H. Rose

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:26 am

Arlo Fanatic

Neat story. Thanks for sharing.