Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Arlo's Restaurant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:02 pm

ArloNetizen

On disc two of 'Here Come the Kids' Arlo tells the story of an audience being impatient with Pete Seeger taking the time to tune. Something about how you never hear Segovia tuning. Folksingers just seem to tune all the time. The story ends with Pete saying "we tune because we care". Arlo then goes on to say that it is even funnier if you know the politics behind it. Does anyone know the rest of the story? I can't imagine Pete Seeger having a feud with Andres Segovia, but you never know.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:58 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I can't remember but it was a good one. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:09 am

The Folkslinger

During the Franco regime, many well known Spaniards essentially boycotted Spain, refusing to be there while Franco was still in power. However, Andres Segovia returned to Spain regularly because as he said, he loved being on the soil of his own country, and he wouldn't let politics dissuade him from being there. It was a choice that cost him the friendship of some of his dear friends and others who were on the losing side of the Spanish Civil War and certainly those who supported The Lincoln Brigade, Pete among them.

In the long run, I don't believe Pete would say more about it, other than the rare occasional barb as he did with his tuning story. In that context, it's funny and politically pointed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:10 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Thanks so much for the info. I noticed on the clokc that you had written this at 11:09 am while the clock on the computer said 11:08 am. Celery time. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:36 pm

ArloNetizen

Wow, so it really was a personal issue with Segovia. Every time that track came around I couldn't help but wonder what the context was. An internet search came up with a reference to David Crosby saying "we tune because we care" on a 1967 Tonight Show appearance. But that seemed to be a bit of a snark aimed at guest host Bob Newhart. Although there was the war in Vietnam at that time, it would be a stretch to link David Crosby's remark to Pete Seeger's. Six degrees of separation?