Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Arlo's Restaurant

Post subject: 1969 Shows
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:33 am

The Folkslinger

I've just added the important dates from 1969 into the schedule as part of our project to have an updated and as detailed a history as possible. There are a few things that are unfinished or unknown. If there is anyone who has that information, let me know and I'll update the old schedule. Thanks - adg

Post subject: Re: 1969 Shows
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:46 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Thanks. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:49 pm

BlunderVirgin

Here are a few:

VENUE ADD: 3/1/1969 – Symphony Hall, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH
DATE/VENUE ADD: 7/19/1969 – Newport Folk Festival, Newport, R.I.
VENUE ADD: 8/17/69 – Cape Cod Melody Tent, Hyannis, MA
DATE/VENUE ADD: 8/24/1969 – Rockpile, Toronto, ON
DATE/VENUE ADD: 8/25/69 – “Musicarnival,” Warren Heights, OH
VENUE ADD: 9/6/69 Fourth Annual Hudson Valley Folk Picnic – Lyndhurst Estate, Route 9, Tarrytown, NY

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:23 am

BlunderVirgin

One small correction:

The concert at Symphony Hall in Boston (“M.A. Greenhill presents…”) took place on Friday evening, January 17th, 1969, not 1/11/69.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:16 am

The Folkslinger

Hank - Thank You so much for your help! How did you remember this stuff? adg

PS If you want, check 1970 and 1972 that I've just posted. I've completely lost 1971 somewhere although I'm still looking. If you have more I'll add or correct it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:34 am

BlunderVirgin

I accumulated boxes and boxes of research materials (concert and album reviews, newspaper adverts, tour dates, interviews etc.) when researching book #16 of the “American Folk Music and Musician Series.”

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:26 pm

BlunderVirgin

Here's a (very) incomplete listing of 1971 shows, but hopefully there's enough here to get the list started. I likely can add info/dates to this list when I dig out some of then other files I have in the basement, but I'm off to see my youngest daughter at a marching band exhibition this afternoon.

1/20/71 – KPFT-FM Pacifica Benefit, Houston, TX
1/23/71 – Quiet Knight, Chicago, IL
1/24/71 – Quiet Knight, Chicago, IL

3/26/71 – Miami Beach Convention Hall, Miami Beach, Miami Beach, FL (with Swampwater)
3/31/71 – Carnegie Hall, New York City, NY (with Swampwater)
4/02/71 – Symphony Hall, Boston, MA (with Swampwater)
4/03/71 – Bushnell Memorial Auditorium, Hartford, CT (with Swampwater)
4/10/71 – White Plains, NY (with Swampwater)
4/15/71 – Denver, CO (with Swampwater)
4/16/71 – Seattle, WA (with Swampwater)
4/17/71 – Corvallis, OR (with Swampwater)
4/19/71 – San Jose, CA (with Swampwater)

7/14/71 – Mummer’s Theater, Okemah, OK (Woody Guthrie Birthday Celebration w/Jimmie Driftwood)

10/28/71 – Main Point, Bryn Mawr, PA (with Swampwater & Ry Cooder)
10/29/71 – Main Point, Bryn Mawr, PA (with Swampwater & Ry Cooder)
10/30/71 – Main Point, Bryn Mawr, PA (with Swampwater & Ry Cooder)
10/31/71 - Main Point, Bryn Mawr, PA (with Swampwater & Ry Cooder)
11/02/71 – Proctor Theater, Troy, NY (with Swampwater & Ry Cooder)
11/06/71 – Community College, Frederick, MD (with Swampwater & Ry Cooder)
11/07/71 – Music Hall, Cincinnati, OH (with Swampwater & Ry Cooder)
11/11/71 – Fort Hesterly Armory, Tampa, FL ((with Swampwater & Ry Cooder)
11/12/71 – Civic Auditorium, Jacksonville, FL (with Swampwater & Ry Cooder)
11/13/71 – Jai Alai Arena, Fronton, FL (with Swampwater & Ry Cooder)
11/19/71 – Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI (with Swampwater & Ry Cooder)
11/20/71 – Civic Auditorium, Grand Rapids, MI (with Swampwater & Ry Cooder)
11/21/71 – University of Missouri, Columbia, MO (with Swampwater & Ry Cooder)
11/27/71 – Long Beach Auditorium, Long Beach, CA (with Swampwater & Ry Cooder)
12/06/71 – McArthur Court, University of Oregon-Eugene (with Swampwater & Ry Cooder)
12/08/71 – Capitol Theater, Lawrence, KS (with Swampwater & Ry Cooder)
12/10/71 – Armadilo World Headquarters, Austin, TX (with Swampwater & Ry Cooder)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:57 am

Arlo Fanatic

Man he did a gig in my area in 72. I wasn't yet a fan lol.:-)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:43 am

The Folkslinger

Hank - Thanks again. I've added the gigs with some small changes I remembered. I realized there's a lot we don't have, but I'm slowly adding what I have to fill in from the 70s up until the the early 90s when we kept records a little better. Only another 15 years to add...

This will be the most comprehensive show list of mine anywhere in the world. But, more importantly it's really been bringing back much of what i had thought I'd forgotten about my own life - I can't believe we actually did all this stuff. Seeing it as a list is one thing, but wondering how the hell we did is another. I'm surprised I'm not dead yet. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:20 am

BlunderVirgin

I see that there are some "non-concert" dates, added to your 1969/1970 lists; dates for such personal events such as marriages and birthdays, etc. So, with that in mind, perhaps you might want to add this entry:

NON-CONCERT DATE ADD: 1/15/70 – Testimony for the Defense in the trial of the Chicago 7, Chicago, IL.

Otherwise, here are some initial comments on the 1970 entries:

There’s some discrepancy between the rehearsal/show dates of The Johnny Cash Show. According to a report in Variety, you were interviewed “between rehearsals” for the Cash show on January 20th, “in which [Guthrie] guests on Saturday (24).” Newspaper accounts of the time suggest that the Cash program was formally taped on the 21st, with a broadcast on the 24th. If all of this is accurate, then the rehearsal dates of the Cash show now listed are a bit too early. But if you did tape on the 21st, then the 1/22/70 flight to Amsterdam would fit into the schedule perfectly.

VENUE ADD: 2/9/1970 – London Pavilion, London, England (I have a review of this show from Melody Maker).

VENUE ADD: 7/22/1970 – Not to get too technical, but the Central Park venue was the Wollman Rink, your concert being part of the summer-long Schaefer Music Festival.

DATE ADDS: In a review of the Judy Collins/Arlo Guthrie show of 8/20/70, the Washington Post notes “Guthrie and Miss Collins are appearing at the Carter Barron through Sunday.” If so, we can add three more dates:
8/21/70 – Carter Barron Amphitheater – Washington D.C.
8/22/70 - Carter Barron Amphitheater – Washington D.C.
8/23/70 - Carter Barron Amphitheater – Washington D.C.
This would also fill in most of the tour date gaps between the Carter Barron show of 8/20 and the Holmdel, NJ show of 8/27.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:51 am

Senior ArloNetizen

I don't really remember when in the late 70's/how old I was. I am looking forward to finding them and going, "That's the one!" I think it was actually twice, maybe.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:40 am

Senior ArloNetizen

There is a show at the Capitol Theatre, Port Chester NY (archive 1970) on August 28.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:31 am

The Folkslinger

Hank et al,

Thanks again... I've added some of the above, although I don't think the info about the Johnny Cash show fits within my own calendar enuff to change it, as I have flight info from that time which suggests it was as I posted it - but I'll change it if I get more info. As for the Judy gigs, I actually had the info you sent but found it hard to believe as the Carter Baron was not a small venue, so with your corroboration I've entered the gigs as you and I both had it... I just left it out thinking it must have been an error. Guess not.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:31 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Hi. Don't know where to find the master lists, sorry. I was at this show at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago.

November 21, 1969.

I wonder if Arlo remembers the Aragon Ballroom? It is a HUGE ballroom. I've seen shows that featured five different Artists/Bands and there was still plenty of room to spare.

I was also at one of the shows at the Quiet Knight on Belmont in Chicago. It was a very small club and therefore hard to get tickets. Don't ask me how I got in, lol. Let's just say Smith is a common name. :roll:

He also did a show at Northeastern College when Abe and Sara were toddlers. I won tickets through a local FM radio promotion.

Smiling. Such good memories.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:53 pm

BlunderVirgin

The following story probably doesn’t add anything too pertinent to the tour schedule project, but I thought it might be of some interest, so here goes:

In an attempt to track down a morsel or two of information regarding the visit to Western Europe in February of 1970, two nights ago I e-mailed a music- journalist friend from France. Though he had no information on the Paris visit of 2/7/1970, he kindly forwarded my query to an old friend, the veteran French music writer Jacques Vassal.

Vassal, as you might know, did the French translation of Woody’s Bound for Glory – or, in this case, En Route Pour la Glorie – in 1973. He also wrote the book Electric Children: Roots and Branches of Modern Folk-Rock in 1976. Anyway, Vassal remembered your (brief) visit to Paris in 1970 surprisingly well.

As this was a personal e-mail, I’m afraid it wouldn’t be proper to simply copy and paste his note on such a public forum as this (it’s in French besides), but I will share here the most relevant content of Mr. Vassal’s recollection. In short, there was no Paris concert on 2/7/70 (“I would have gone… if it had occurred,” he wrote). The Paris visit was only a brief stop-over to “promote an album” (I’m assuming Running Down the Road). He did offer that he believed you did have concert dates scheduled elsewhere in Europe that month, dimly suggesting “London, Brussels, and Amsterdam” as likely concert-date cities. Vassal also offered that he was actually “on the premises of Europe 1” (the Parisian public programming radio station) when you were interviewed on 2/7/70 by Michael Shone and his assistant Michel Lancelot for the program (?) Campus. He did note that “Maybe there was… a “mini-concert of four or five songs” for the radio program audience, but certainly “no more” than that.