Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Arlo's Restaurant

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:38 am

BlunderVirgin

Hi everybody - I'm new on ArloNet but an Arlo fan from way back :wink: in the day. Finally got on here after almost a year of trying.

Anyway, I am the originator of a grass roots movement working to let the Kennedy Center know how much Arlo Guthrie deserves to be honored for his lifetime achievements as a folk musician. It only takes a few minutes of every Arlo fan to visit the Kennedy Center's nomination page and fill out a short form including the reason Arlo should be recognized for this honor. Like I said, it's just a little ol' movement...

The Nominate Arlo Guthrie for Kennedy Center Honors Movement, you say in a questioning tone of voice. Yep. That's right.

See if I did it, and you do it, and you share this with your sister's mother's brother and he does it, that's three people who did it.

And three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people a-clickin' on the link while they are singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant or Comin' into Los Angeles or City of New Orleans - and fillin' out the form and hittin' the "Send" button. They may think it's an Organization.

And can you, can you imagine fifty people a day, a-clickin' on the link while they are singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant or Comin' into Los Angeles or City of New Orleans - and fillin' out the form and hittin' the "Send" button. I said fifty people a day.

Friends, they may think it's a movement.

And that's what it is, the Nominate Arlo Guthrie for Kennedy Center Honors Movement, and all you got to do to click on the link and do what is says and then join in and sing it the next time it come's around on the Guitar - with feeling.

SO, SEE, THIS IS A LITTLE GRASS ROOTS MOVEMENT, FOLKS BUT IT COULD MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE.
IF ANYONE CARRIES THE TORCH FOR FOLK MUSIC THAT PETE AND WOODY PASSED, IT'S BEEN AND IT WILL CONTINUE TO BE ARLO.
IF YOU WANNA JOIN ME AND THE NOMINATE ARLO FOR KENNEDY CENTER HONORS MOVEMENT, JUST CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW AND FILL OUT THE FORM. IT'S AS EASY AS THAT.

The link for the Kennedy Center Honors Recommendation page is:
http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/ ... istory.cfm

The link for the Nominate Arlo Guthrie for Kennedy Center Honors on Facebook is:
http://www.facebook.com/nominateArlo

Hope you join us! We're almost up to 200 members on FB but I'm hoping we can get 2000 (or more!) to nominate Arlo.

Thanks so much. - Loretta

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:53 am

Arlo Fanatic

Of course I will post a nomination, but will have to think of a good way to write a reason for nomination, so it may be later or tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:05 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I am sorry, I have tried a few times to submit a nomination:-

Arlo has dedicated his life to music, not only bringing his own beautifully poetic and hilariously funny songs to the world, but also the music of his farther and farther's peers. Arlo has continued to give the world these moving and meaningful songs not only decade after decade (sorry Arlo) but generation after generation; in so giving it the chance to inspire, move and live on though countless others.

I feel that for someone, Arlo, to have given such a gift as his music to and for the generations deserves such recognition as yours.

Thank you for considering
Arlo Guthrie.

But i keep getting an error message, it doesn't say what kind of error so I can only assume it is because my e mail ends co.uk, and they only accept nomination from within the States.

:(
Sorry will try again tomorrow just in case.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:38 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I submitted him and hope he gets it. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:34 pm

BlunderVirgin

That's great, Cheryl! I am so glad because your nomination sounded wonderful! Thanks so much! 8)

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:38 am

Arlo Fanatic

Just tried again, it must have been a glitch on their site last night as it has just let me post my nomination.
Fingers crossed

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:02 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Submitted my nomination a few weeks ago.

Loretta, thank you for initiating this well deserved honor for Arlo. :)

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:44 pm

BlunderVirgin

How sweet of you to say that, but it's a labor of love. I've been a fan for so many years, it just seemed the right thing to do. There is nobody who deserves this kind of honor more than Arlo.

I hope all of us - his fans - are making the folks at the Kennedy Center sit up and take notice. Wouldn't it be wonderful if it actually works?

tallyjanice wrote:
Submitted my nomination a few weeks ago.

Loretta, thank you for initiating this well deserved honor for Arlo. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:24 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Cheryl Harrell wrote:

Just a question ,I hope people understand I am as much for Arlo as anyone but my question is "wouldn't it be easier to get his Dad" up for the honors instead of Arlo or does the recipient need to be living ?

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:40 pm

BlunderVirgin

Gosh, sure I understand. Woody was amazing - a pioneering force in the folk music of our nation.

But it wasn't for me about what would be easier. Maybe it would be. I don't know. I do know this: there's lots of way more knowledgeable lovers and students of Woody's music out there that would be tons better at campaigning for him than me. I'm still learning Woody's stuff. But much as I love and respect Woody's music, for me, this was about Arlo, and what he has done and continues to do for folk music- both American folk and world music - in his lifetime, in our generation, here and all over the world.

I am not really sure if recipients need to be living - it really doesn't say that on the Kennedy Center site that I found it yet, but when I think of a performer who has "spent their life elevating the cultural vibrancy of our nation and the world", that would be Arlo. Nobody works harder, tours more, or has played with the biggest and the best, as well as the obscure and the unknowns, as Arlo. He's played at Carnegie Hall and in parking lots, in school auditoriums and at black tie affairs - and yet, no matter where he plays, he always makes everybody around him feel at home and part of the family. Folk music was dying in our country, but it was Arlo who kept it going, who put himself out there, and somehow managed to bridge the divide that grew up between folk and rock music lovers. He is, in my opinion, with Pete gone, America's most beloved living folk singer but he's more than that too.

He is a story teller, a songwriter, a musician, an activist, an artist, an actor, a student of musical and folk history, and a keen observer of humanity. He is the bearer of the torch of folk music. I've watched him on stage with his idols, carefully studying their style of play and learning the words. It's how things are truly passed down, at the knee of those who came before. We Irish might call him a seanachie, a traditional Irish storyteller/historian, because he genuinely passes on the history and traditions of the people through songs and stories.

I sure hope someone who knows so much better than I about Woody's music does nominate Woody (if indeed the Kennedy Center does posthumous honors - I'll have to research that further), but me? I'm just an ordinary old lifelong fan of Arlo. I know what his music has meant to me and a whole lot of other folks here and around the world. And that's why, when I was on the Kennedy site one day after last year's awards (remember Carlos Santana and Billy Joel?), and saw that the public could nominate, I said to myself, what performer of my generation has given their life to their music?

The answer was clear as a bell in my head: Arlo Guthrie.

So that's how the Nominate Arlo Guthrie for Kennedy Center Honors got started. It's just a grassroots kind of thing and in the end, it's all gonna depend on how many folks feel like I do. I just think Arlo deserves it, and he deserves it now.

But it sure would be a hoot if both Arlo AND Woody got honored at the same time, wouldn't it?

Giantone wrote:
Cheryl Harrell wrote:

Just a question ,I hope people understand I am as much for Arlo as anyone but my question is "wouldn't it be easier to get his Dad" up for the honors instead of Arlo or does the recipient need to be living ?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:31 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Well I don't know if I was as eloquent as some others but I have submitted my nomination of Arlo .

LOL ,got my auto reply confirmation .

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:44 pm

BlunderVirgin

I am sure you were even better than eloquent 'cause I bet you spoke from the heart. Thanks so much for supporting this!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:19 am

BlunderVirgin

Just an update on our campaign to Nominate Arlo for Kennedy Center Honors...

Our grass roots movement on Facebook site is up to 270 members. Woo hoo!! I am so pleased that so many of Arlo's fans from all over the US and the world have joined up! But I know for every one of those 270 members, there are 2 thousand more of his fans out there who may not know about the Nominate Arlo Movement.

Every heartfelt nomination to the Kennedy Center makes a difference and brings Arlo one step closer...

If all the 270 folks who signed up followed through with a recommendation on the Kennedy Center site, we have made an impression, I am sure. Imagine if 2,070 recommendations showed up!! Why, folks, we'd have ourselves a Movement that is monumental! :D

We are in the countdown phase now so every nomination is essential. I have begun the final push and started making posts on the Kennedy Center's Facebook page and their twitter site recommending Arlo and why. There is nothing to be gained by the same person posting over and over, so anyone who can and wants to join me, please do! :)

Here are the contact links for anyone who wants them:

:arrow: Twitter: https://twitter.com/kencen
Tweet the following: Arlo for 2014 Kennedy Center Honors!! With love, from his fans (or a similar tweet of your own)

:arrow: Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KennedyCenter
Please leave a post that you are recommending Arlo Guthrie for 2014 Kennedy Center Honors and why you feel this way. I left mine under the Review Section which is where others were leaving posts on their recommendations for artists. Note: you need to give the Center a "review" using the stars to post.

Nothing in life is guaranteed but one of my favorite quotes sums it up best, "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead. I have a such a good feeling this could be Arlo's year to shine like the 'Rising Son' :wink:

He is so deserving of this honor!! Thanks to all the loyal Arlo fans here who believe!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:19 pm

BlunderVirgin

UPDATE! The Nominate Arlo Guthrie for Kennedy Center Honors Movement is up to 349 members strong and we are continuing to work to make sure the Kennedy Center is aware of Arlo's lifetime of achievements in folk music.

There is no way of knowing how many individuals have actually nominated Arlo, or how the Kennedy Center Committee will respond to our efforts but we are staying committed to our mission. There is always a chance that Arlo will not get chosen this year, so please know that if he is not, The Nominate Arlo Guthrie for Kennedy Center Honors will carry over to next year. We will go on until Arlo is on that balcony accepting accolades for his amazing career and musical accomplishments.

I just wanted to take a minute to express my sincere gratitude and say "Thanks" to everyone here who supports the Movement in any way by sharing it with other Arlo fans, or who has taken the extra time to go to the Kennedy Center and make a nomination, send them a message or tweet, or follow us on the Facebook page.

There is still time to make a recommendation - I believe the date of the Kennedy Center release of the new recipients is on or around September 9. Please share with any other Arlo fans or sites. Thank you!

The link for the Kennedy Center is: http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/ ... ts/honors/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:19 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Just submitted a recommendation with a brief (very) writeup. Thanks for letting us know about this. Maybe we can start a movement!