Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Legends of Folk Music

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 11:02 am

I found this really cool postcard at Merlefest last weekend. It is a picture of the back of a man who is supposed to be Pete Seeger. On the banjo head is written "This instrument surrounds hate..." (and Pete, if it is indeed Pete, is wearing a shirt with a recycling symbol on it, which makes for an overall strong symbolic message--way cool). Anyway, a friend of mine was thinking that Pete's banjo said something about surrounding fascists, not hate, but someone else said it was Woody's banjo that had the reference to fascists. Can someone tell me who is right and what exactly each of the banjos said??? Oh, and what type of banjo did, of in Pete's case do, they play??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 11:26 am

Arlo Fanatic

I can't answer too many questions,banjonique I have this picture of Woody at my camp. And he's holding a guitar, with a logo, (and I believe this is correct-but it will bug me till I get down to camp.lol) This machine kills facists. Don't know much about bangos.
Go to folksinger spottings, and check out Janet's links. Some very good reading, great photo's to!!! [img]/ubb/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Message edited by rbrown on May 02, 2000 @ 10:28 AM ---</FONT></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 12:36 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rbrown:

I can't answer too many questions... I have this picture of Woody at my camp. And he's holding a guitar, with a logo, (and I believe this is correct-but it will bug me till I get down to camp.lol) This machine kills facists.

Thanks for the info. I suppose it's true that it's Woody's banjo and not Pete's that my friend was thinking of. That seems to be what most people I've asked think, at any rate. I'd sure love to see/have a picture of them each. Did a search on altavista, but didn't come up with much.

Go to folksinger spottings, and check out Janet's links. Some very good reading, great photo's to!!! [img]/ubb/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I'll do that.

Appreciate the response.

Wonder if Arlo ever bothers to read any of this stuff? To be sure he'd know the answer! I hate he wasn't at Merlefest this year, was looking forward to seeing him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 12:47 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I belive the saying "THIS MACHINE KILLS FACISTS" is on Woodys guitar alot I'e neve met Woody. The other saying is on Petes banjo I do believe. He also has a peac sign on it. Cool! once shoed us his banjo & toldus a story about getting it from some 100 yr. old man. Petes a nice guy. & Arlo too! [img]/ubb/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 12:49 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Arlo was at MERLEFEST a few yrs ago. We didn't get to go cuz the Western Part of NC is too far from us here in VA. SO we do Raleigh, Cary, Durham, Carrboro, Greensboro, Charlotte etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 1:07 pm

Arlo Fanatic

http://addicted.com.au/images/Lomax,_Alan/woody_guthrie.jpg
photo of WG with his guitar that says --
THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Message edited by janet on May 02, 2000 @ 01:21 PM ---</FONT></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 1:09 pm

Arlo Fanatic

http://www.carolina.cc/merlefest/arloandfriends.html
photo of Arlo at Merlefest 1997

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Message edited by janet on May 02, 2000 @ 12:19 PM ---</FONT></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 1:59 pm

Arlo Fanatic

http://www.pressnetwork.com/photoarch/pete_seeger1.jpg
photo of Pete with his banjo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 2:17 pm

Arlo Fanatic

http://www.pressnetwork.com/photoarch/toc.html
photo of Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger together on stage circa 1940
(go down list of photos in the archive to the set of 7 Pete Seeger photos and select the 6th photo)

<center><FONT COLOR="#000080">--- Message edited by janet on May 02, 2000 @ 01:18 PM ---</FONT></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 2:59 pm

Oh Lord, DELIVERY me from the DUELING BANJOS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 4:03 pm

>>>Originally posted by Nathen:[/i]

>>>Oh Lord, DELIVERY me from the DUELING BANJOS

Only if you SQUEAL first!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 4:37 pm

and we mean,,,squeal,,,like a pig!

Drunk once
Sunk twice WWG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 8:12 pm

OINK OINK OINK, I am such a HAM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2000 10:22 pm

In case this hasn't already been answered, the legend on Pete Seeger's banjo reads: "This Machine Surrounds Hate & Forces It To Surrender." A nice photo of Pete's banjo head can be found on the back cover of the booklet that accompanies the CD "Pete Seeger - We Shall Overcome - The Complete Carnegie Hall Concert - Historic Live Recording - June 8, 1963" (Columbia C2K 45312).