PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:19 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Wow, thanks for sharing Mikey!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:06 am

Arlo Fanatic

Thanks Mikey!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:47 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

And also thanks to Phillip Buehler, and Nora Guthrie, and Kickstarter and all the 438 who put their money into making this book.

Bless your souls, and those of Woody and Marjorie Guthrie too.

This book sheds light on the historical mistreatment of a group of Americans with little to no voice to object with. And in doing so may help enlighten folks to the fact that institutional mistreatment goes on, even today.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:12 pm

Arlo Fanatic

DRR wrote:
This book sheds light on the historical mistreatment of a group of Americans with little to no voice to object with. And in doing so may help enlighten folks to the fact that institutional mistreatment goes on, even today.

Yes, sadly it does. And even more sadly, the current trend of institutionalism of these types (I would include prisons here), is that it is "For Profit."

Economics 101: Where there is demand, there will be supply.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:49 am

Senior ArloNetizen

Kevin, I agree. We here in Cali have a terrible prison system, backed by a greedy union, that is currently under court ordered federal oversight due to unconstitutional levels of overcrowding and health care. I'm pro-union, but I see a potential conflict of interest when the union gets stronger by locking more people up. They have a very powerful lobby, that pushes for things like more criminal laws, mandatory min. sentences, and more prisons.

Kevin, I'm sure you know already, but for others who don't, America is #3 in world population (China and India both have near 4 x our pop.), but we are #1 in prison population. We imprison about 700 people out of every 100,000. Up 200% over the last 30 yrs. A majority of them are African/American. A majority of them are imprisoned for non-violent drug charges. At $50,000/yr per prisoner, that's big money that would have a much greater ROI if used in education. We also see about 60% recidivism. By comparison we currently rank ~ 23rd in education when compared to the rest of the world.

Clear argument against those who see solutions in having a government "small enough to drown in a bath tub". Stronger central gov= protection against greed in all the for profits...energy, education, health care, finance.

At the same time big gov grows the need for better oversight against gov led abuse. So now its out, I guess I'm a hybrid (part conservative)!