Forums » ArloNet Main Forums » Legends of Folk Music

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:59 pm

Arlo Fanatic

I guess this is the right forum for this.

I attended Willie Nelson's new concert act at the Ryman in Nashville last night. It was unbelievably good and played to a solidly packed house. The Ryman is a topic all it's own.

He and T-Bone Burnett have put together an authentic collection of bluegrass sounds and old country with T-Bone's wistful sometimes ethereal orchestration of sad banjo, dueling mandolin/fiddle/Telecaster solos and no percussion performed by the A-list of bluegrass. Willie does perform some of his hits such as Whiskey River but otherwise, this is a visit to the vaults of real country music. I said to him after the show on the bus, "Wow! Real country!" and his eyes brightened up and he said, "I wanted to name the album that with, "In case you forgot!""

I think this is an album you'll want to have. T-Bone says the sound is even better on the recording where the balance is perfect. His work on the CODE system may be a revolution for the recording industry putting breath and space back into the digital recordings that has been missing since the advent of CDs as well as making the different formats work together in a more standard way just as the RIAA curve worked for vinyl. That said, the live show was awesome.

As Dana said, "Wow!"

Last edited by len on Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:48 am

Arlo Fanatic

Sounds like a good show. I saw him once at a Farm Aid show with Arlo. I knew that show was a once in a lifetime thing. As Mike put it, we're seeing alot of artists we normally wouldn't get to see and it's all because of Arlo...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:35 am

Arlo Fanatic

It is a great show. Some really good pickers are on that tour. I think Henry is taking the album in a unique direction. I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Farm Aid is an example of what happens when the A-listers decide they have to make a change. I don't know the internal details and those kind of events can present a good front but be a financial tar baby ethically, so who knows what is because of whom. Arlo is my favorite example of doing it right. Callie mentioned that I am a big fan of Arlo's and I said he got to the internet and his own label early, worked his butt off and took good care of the people close and loyal to him. He doesn't take more than he needs. He uses what he has to good ends such as The Church. He stuck to his guns ethically and artistically. Willie from what I could see has a diffferent business deal but he is one intense tough man about what he believes in. I can't compare them fairly. From 50 thousand feet though, there are common beliefs among the serious artists who use their positions to try to help the rest of us (I mean people in general).

I remember that speech Woody gives at the end of Bound for Glory about people not taking the abuse, believing that they have don't have to take it and can do something about it. The examples we see among the artists matter. A lot. It's too easy to lay down and wallow in our troubles. We have to get up like Tom Joad and do something about them. Folks like Arlo and Willie do make a difference.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:32 am

Arlo Fanatic

My cousin Jason was on Farm Aid this yr. I would've loved for Arlo to have been on there with him. That would've been so cool. It's funny how they had him on Farm Aid when cable was not so easily available & they didn't have satellite dish yet. But now that satellite dish is available all over they don't have Arlo on Farm Aid much anymore...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:47 am

Arlo Fanatic

Arlo tends to show up where he is invited, the cause is good and the figures are accurate. Just sayin'. Didn't Farm Aid happen on October 4? That would put it in conflict with the Guthrie Center Fall Revival Schedule. IMO, when ya gots to choose, choose family.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Yeah, I believe both events conflicted and I had forgot about that. Too bad Farm Aid wasn't another time. My cousin Jason likes him & would've loved to have sung with him...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:56 pm

Arlo Fanatic

Jason and every other singer/songwriter from Ottawa to Key West to Anchorage. :)

Arlo is much in demand and I suspect that he is getting even moreso. He's a generous man from what I've seen and read. Still it has to have limits.

I was honored to be sitting in the bus but when I heard all those people standing outside chanting "Willie! Willie!" and then afterwards some followed us up the side walk making some rather rude remarks to our wives, well, it obviously has an effect. It's kinda scary when one isn't used to it. That was so very different to the GC event. As I said to my host, "It's a dangerous game." and he agreed.

I am amazed at the openness of the Guthrie's but I don't think I'd ever go walking up the road to his farm without an invitation.