Forums » Group W Forums » Topical Tropical Discussions

Post subject: Appointment with Death!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:27 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

Met up with an old friend that I hadn't seen in a few years. Part of our discussion concerned wisdom, death and the bible. (He has been a devout born-again christian for many years) Got me thinking about the subject of my own personal death and what it means for me. (But hopefully in a hundred years or more)

Just wondering if anyone else out there is interested in opening a discussion on the subject. Your own thoughts about your own future DEATH or perhaps its just too taboo or goofy or too morbid a subject to even mention here.

(Most of us know its a going to happen to me fact, believe it or not, but perish the thought you might say?)

Anyways, I'll post this and see if any of the dead will rise?

RIP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:53 pm

Arlo Fanatic

sounds like you got some things you would like to say?

people have varying beliefs, it seems

what i don’t like though is that anyone would want to “do good deeds” just to get a favored afterlife, and not because the ripple affect of there wanting to do the right thing would have an overall beneficial influence over all of our being here and now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:14 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

agnes wrote:

what i don’t like though is that anyone would want to “do good deeds” just to get a favored afterlife, and not because the ripple affect of there wanting to do the right thing would have an overall beneficial influence over all of our being here and now.

I don't see anything wrong with those from any belief system (or none) who "do good deeds" just to get a favoured afterlife when compared to those individuals, societies, civilizations etc who do "evil" deeds in order to further their belief system or just to get a better place in paradise/afterlife. I would think doing good deeds promotes a constructive approach, while the other approach is destructive in every way as has been the case even in our lifetimes, in the here and now. The world could do with more of those good deedy types and if they do happen to acquire better seats then so be it. ("Show me your faith and I'll show you my works. Faith without works is dead." Letter of James in the New Testament. I suppose its also meant for those "saved by grace.")

The thread is not about me saying something but rather asking what others think about the subject in relation to themselves and perhaps how it affects their thinking or way of life. A discussion perhaps?

Its good to be alive for so many reasons don't you think? Having a beneficial influence might just be one for some.

:mrgreen:

Ps. Haunt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:30 pm

Arlo Fanatic

woodstock69 wrote:
agnes wrote:

I don't see anything wrong with those from any belief system (or none) who "do good deeds" just to get a favoured afterlife when compared to those individuals, societies, civilizations etc who do "evil" deeds in order to further their belief system or just to get a better place in paradise/afterlife. I would think doing good deeds promotes a constructive approach, while the other approach is destructive in every way as has been the case even in our lifetimes, in the here and now. The world could do with more of those good deedy types and if they do happen to acquire better seats then so be it. ("Show me your faith and I'll show you my works. Faith without works is dead." Letter of James in the New Testament. I suppose its also meant for those "saved by grace.")

The thread is not about me saying something but rather asking what others think about the subject in relation to themselves and perhaps how it affects their thinking or way of life. A discussion perhaps?

Its good to be alive for so many reasons don't you think? Having a beneficial influence might just be one for some.

Ps. Haunt

that is why i put “do good deeds” in quotations. sometimes people get caught up in the religious dogma of “doing god’s will” and can end up being cruel and even brutal. people went about doing “god’s will” of destroying the “infidels”, and some still do. believing that was/is a “good deed” worthy of a heavenly reward.

some believe they would be going against “god’s will” and not doing a “good deed” if they were to vote against trump, for instance, too.

look, i believe mister rogers was a christian and i really liked him a lot. i believe he wanted to help people and did a lot of good, and i really appreciate it, and him.

i hope that helps to clarify.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:04 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

thanks for the clarification.

As I said above. I was hoping for discussion on the topic rather than saying some things but just to kick off, if in fact there is an interest in the subject:

okay, I see my whenever appointment death as an ending, my ending and something which doesn't bother me. I never gave it much thought until recently and like most people I enjoy being and staying alive. (Make hay while the sun shines!) Had a few close (normal) encounters in the past but still here. God or any religion doesn't come in it, though there was a time when some belief systems did but not now. Have observed other people's appointments with death both close family, friends and others. My parents both died within a month of eachother last year in different hospitals, differing dementia complications which basically meant we watched them slowly waste away and eventually die. They were devout catholics and I expect their god has his reasons for putting such elderly believers through such anguish though if there is a god of sorts I don't believe he gives a fig about mere mortals. (But perhaps I stand to be corrected?)

Perhaps the a/m was the reason for this thread, perhaps not, but as I wrote above I see my death as a natural, nature ending of my existence. I don't believe I shall actually experience my own death and when I am dead I cannot experience anything so I don't give a fig about death but I am very grateful for my existence which has enabled me to live in this wee world for a time. Birth and death are the alpha and omega but its the in between part that's more important. Both events make us who we are. Time travellers in space united by life.

This is something that ancient Roman Stoics understood who had inscribed on their tombstones and I suppose it hits the nail on the head as to where I place my appointment with death:

'non fui, fui,non sum, non curo' (I was not; I was; Iam not; I do not care)

So Agnes, maybe I had indeed something to say and maybe some more but I just wondered what other folks might write.

Time is precious for mere mortals but I suppose for those who wish upon a star for immortality time will tell when the last appointment arrives whom the gods shall favour to be like them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:14 pm

Arlo Fanatic

woodstock69 wrote:

As I said above. I was hoping for discussion on the topic rather than saying some things but just to kick off, if in fact there is an interest in the subject:

okay, I see my whenever appointment death as an ending, my ending and something which doesn't bother me. I never gave it much thought until recently and like most people I enjoy being and staying alive. (Make hay while the sun shines!) Had a few close (normal) encounters in the past but still here. God or any religion doesn't come in it, though there was a time when some belief systems did but not now. Have observed other people's appointments with death both close family, friends and others. My parents both died within a month of eachother last year in different hospitals, differing dementia complications which basically meant we watched them slowly waste away and eventually die. They were devout catholics and I expect their god has his reasons for putting such elderly believers through such anguish though if there is a god of sorts I don't believe he gives a fig about mere mortals. (But perhaps I stand to be corrected?)

Perhaps the a/m was the reason for this thread, perhaps not, but as I wrote above I see my death as a natural, nature ending of my existence. I don't believe I shall actually experience my own death and when I am dead I cannot experience anything so I don't give a fig about death but I am very grateful for my existence which has enabled me to live in this wee world for a time. Birth and death are the alpha and omega but its the in between part that's more important. Both events make us who we are. Time travellers in space united by life.

This is something that ancient Roman Stoics understood who had inscribed on their tombstones and I suppose it hits the nail on the head as to where I place my appointment with death:

So Agnes, maybe I had indeed something to say and maybe some more but I just wondered what other folks might write.

Time is precious for mere mortals but I suppose for those who wish upon a star for immortality time will tell when the last appointment arrives whom the gods shall favour to be like them.

well, it may frustrate some of the people who i love who are very certain one way or the other.

i don’t really know.
but i think it is kind of fascinating to wonder, “where does that energy go (from that person or any creature or that plant, etc..) and what does it become?”

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:10 pm

Arlo Fanatic

agnes wrote:
woodstock69 wrote:

well, it may frustrate some of the people who i love who are very certain one way or the other.

i don’t really know.
but i think it is kind of fascinating to wonder, “where does that energy go (from that person or any creature or that plant, etc..) and what does it become?”

another question might be, where does consciousness go? and how does it change?

what is it?

i have probably gone cosmic and could bring the wrath from some folks about it, but oh well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:23 pm

Arlo Fanatic

this thread seems about as popular as a bottle marked, “poison ivy extract”

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:43 pm

Arlo Fanatic

agnes wrote:
this thread seems about as popular as a bottle marked, “poison ivy extract”

look, we have been given this great gift of earth and life. we need to do a better job appreciating and cultivating that gift. we could all be so much happier if we would.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:06 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

i don’t really know.
but i think it is kind of fascinating to wonder, “where does that energy go (from that person or any creature or that plant, etc..) and what does it become?”[/quote]

what is it?

i have probably gone cosmic and could bring the wrath from some folks about it, but oh well.[/quote]

'i think, therefore I am' (= consciousness?)

When we cease to exist (dead) nothing, including anything we may imagine, including consciousness don't matter.

a deathly silence prevails while appointments continue nomatter...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:26 pm

Arlo Fanatic

agnes wrote:
agnes wrote:

i don’t really know.

what is it?

i have probably gone cosmic and could bring the wrath from some folks about it, but oh well.

woodstock69 wrote:
'i think, therefore I am' (= consciousness?)

When we cease to exist (dead) nothing, including anything we may imagine, including consciousness don't matter.

a deathly silence prevails while appointments continue nomatter...

maybe

Last edited by agnes on Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:27 pm

Arlo Fanatic

agnes wrote:
look, we have been given this great gift of earth and life. we need to do a better job appreciating and cultivating that gift. we could all be so much happier if we would.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:24 pm

Arlo Fanatic

putting it here too. we can do better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKQfxi8V5FA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:25 pm

Arlo Fanatic

posting this here too:

i have posted this a couple times before

why? because it seemed to reflect my general approach. not because i was looking to join any club.

which is why i will post it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tpL1K8ZqrU

i will also repost this

agnes wrote:
.......maybe ‘god(dess)’ would love to see what we are made of. if we truly believe in the love and beautiful visions that we preach?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:08 pm

Senior ArloNetizen

agnes wrote:
posting this here too:

i have posted this a couple times before

why? because it seemed to reflect my general approach. not because i was looking to join any club.

which is why i will post it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tpL1K8ZqrU

i will also repost this

agnes wrote:
.......maybe ‘god(dess)’ would love to see what we are made of. if we truly believe in the love and beautiful visions that we preach?

The good, the bad and all the other mucky stuff of clay we potters are made of. Perhaps ego is our god/dess when it comes to our visions and dreams. I have found that peaches are better to consume than preachers. The latter has given me heartburn in the past so i try to avoid. Though i must admit I've had the odd vision or two and my fair share of dreams. Peace and love at times too.

The clip is a sound approach for living and I like a good Fry. This one maybe be relevant but sure everyone to their own. (I'm trying to keep the appointments focused)

https://youtu.be/pR7e0fmfXGw