Forums » Group W Forums » Topical Tropical Discussions

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:40 pm

BlunderVirgin

Oct.2, 2016
I am writing to ask residents of Morgantown to please consider joining a protest for peace on May 4, 2017. That date is the 47th anniversary of the death during an anti-war protest of four students at Kent in Ohio. Passion, compassion, dedication and bravery needed. Would it be possible to muster 50 people from Morgantown to march down High Street to the courthouse in an act of civil disobedience, peacefully protesting war? A guitar player or two? Imagine 50 people on each of 50 campuses across the U.S. marching to protest war on the same day. Martin Luther King, Jr. taught us how to make real changes. We can still make changes. People took to the streets in the 60s and 70s to protest the status quo. They stopped a war. Began movements for civil rights and equal rights for women and saw that the Clean Air and Clean Water Acts were made law. In the last 10 years we have been fighting wars, weakened civil rights laws, have not passed the Equal Rights Act for women, and removed significant consequences for polluters and reduced regulations for both the Clean Air and Clean Water Acts. This generation can stop a war too. This generation can ensure civil rights and equality for everyone. This generation can make new laws designed to leave their children an environment more healthy than what was left them. The U.S. has been at war for 30 of the last 36 years.

The U.S. government spends a lot of money on war. Imagine what it could be like if that money was used here in the States to fix bridges, roads and schools. There would be jobs for carpenters, road crews, engineers, gravel quarriers, heavy equipment operators, mechanics, accountants, managers, research and development innovators, and a host of service jobs in support of this new work force. Imagine.

My paternal grandfather was killed in World War Two, my father shot and killed in that war, 1944. My wife’s father saw Japan after two atomic bombs were used, 1946. Her uncle fought in Korea, 1952. My brother-in-law fought and killed in Viet Nam, 1970. My cousin was wounded in Iraq-Iran War, 1985 and is in pain right now. A friend fought and was wounded in Iraq, 2007 and both of these guys had brothers in arms killed over there. They all had to shoot to kill. People. It has changed their lives and cannot be undone. Do you know someone who fought overseas? If you do, ask that person what it was like. It is time to stop fighting wars. It is time to stop training another generation and sending them overseas to kill people. Whether or not you agree, will you please write our elected government, protest, or tell others how you feel?

Oct 7, 2016

I am writing to ask residents of Morgantown to please consider joining a protest for peace on May 4, 2017. Passion, compassion, dedication and bravery needed. Would it be possible to muster 50 people from Morgantown to march down High Street to the courthouse in an act of civil disobedience, peacefully protesting war? Imagine 50 people on each of 100 campuses across the U.S. marching to protest war on the same day. Martin Luther King, Jr. taught us how to make real changes through peaceful protest. People in the streets in the 60s and 70s stopped a war. The U.S. has been at war for 30 of the last 36 years. People today can stop a war too.

30 Nov. 2016
President-elect Donald Trump ran a campaign using the slogan, “Make America Great Again.” This idea appeals to a broad range of people, each with their own idea about just what it is that made and makes our country great. What makes your America great?

Mr. Trump’s America is great because it equates money with power. My America is great in part because its system of government, despite various flaws, provides people the opportunity to have their voices heard and set a course for the future. Our government includes a system of “checks and balances.” This ensures that power is distributed among the presidency, the Supreme Court, Congress, and the American people. Despite accusations by many in Congress that President Obama or Bush or Clinton or George Bush is responsible for a decline in America’s greatness, it is our Congress coupled with American people’s unwillingness to act that has led to a lack of greatness. Our country is seen by many in the world as corrupt, morally despicable, and lacking equality for all.
It may be assumed that Mr. Trump remembers some of his 11th grade civics lessons. Those lessons teach that the 435 members of the House of Representatives and 100 members of the Senate are elected to represent the will of the American majority. This makes the American people the most powerful branch of our government. If we act. Action can take several forms including expressing your opinion on issues important to you in writing to your representatives in Congress, voicing your wishes in public with a group in peaceful demonstrations, and voting. Action in concert with others is our most powerful means toward making America greater. Please vote, write, and join protests against policies that diminish America’s greatness.

Jan 10, 2017
I invite you to march for peace May 4, 2017, from the 'lair to the courthouse. Assemble 11:37 a.m. outside at the WVU Mountain Lair. At noon we march down High Street to the courthouse square. Assemble peacefully and if our numbers overflow into the streets, we count on the good will of others and their sympathy with our cause once discovered, to be tolerant and vocally supportive.
A short walk down High Street with a large question. Why are we at war? Let us stop these wars with the power of the people. I’ll say it, “right on!” Can you imagine 50 people on 50 campuses in 50 countries marching at the same time? And, what if the Morgantown May March attracts 150 people? Or one thousand people marching in peaceful civil disobedience to protest wars. They will hear us in the Senate and the House.

NO MORE WAR

All We Are Saying Is Give Peace A Chance

Our votes can make good change happen

Make a sign, get on board it’s time to make our voices heard. We can dance, sing, let freedom ring.

Write your Congress in support or opposition to: term limits,
mandatory background checks for all gun sales, repeal Citizens United. Whatever is important to you.

Stop
Corporations buying politicians
Lobbyists’ access to politicians
Denying term limits for politicians
Unchecked gun sales

Start
Enhancing civil rights for all
Cleaning the earth, air and water
Repairing paths, roads and bridges
Peace not war

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:50 am

BlunderVirgin

Is no one interested in protesting for peace in your home town? Feasibility feedback would be welcome.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:46 pm

Arlo Fanatic

stevestathakis wrote:
Is no one interested in protesting for peace in your home town? Feasibility feedback would be welcome.

yeah no one. no one, where are you?

putting the information out there, as you have, i see as a good thing.

i have expressed my interest and concerns about many things here, and in the 3D world. i hope what i post here is helpful. a lot of times though i feel it gets actively marginalized or ignored. there used to be more people here with much helpful information and dialogue. i appreciate them very much, i have said so before. i hope they know who they are and i hope i have helped others as well. i think education is an important thing! so much out there is more like wool over the eyes however.

“feasibility”? i wouldn’t want to discourage anyone from contributing towards a better more healthy world!